Cyanogen's questionable practices, full story.

randomhkkid

So an article over on XDA has gone in depth into court documents from the recent case in India which has resulted in the ban of sales for Oneplus in India (Except existing stock). These documents include communications between Oneplus and Cyanogen discussing the termination of their branding for India (A whole lines of it!!!!!!). The final ruling is a temporary injunction of Oneplus abilities to sell in the Indian market until the court case is resolved in California. 

Extracts from the article:

The Emails

One of the few advantages in court cases (for they are a real drain on everyone, and only end up lining the pockets of lawyers) is that often, internal communications are made public as part of the evidence. And these emails won’t disappoint you! The first email is from Carl Pei of OnePlus, to Kirt McMaster, CEO of Cyanogen. In the email, dated 17th November, which appears to be a reply to an existing one using a thread title of “Cyanogen end”, Carl wrote,

I’m guessing there’s some misunderstanding. Shall we talk about it during your visit in December?

In response, Kirk replied to say,

Carl. We will be terminating our relationship with one plus. I will get back to you with more details shortly.

Now, I’m no expert, but that certainly seems to be the corporate equivalent of dumping your long-term partner by email or SMS. Kirk then sent a second reply around half an hour later, saying

No misunderstanding. We have no reason to meet in sz [shenzhen]. We are terminating.

The Final Judgement

The judgement comments on how OnePlus proceeded to launch its phone on December 2nd, despite the concerns regarding the above exchanges, and said that this cannot be easily understood. Likewise, Cyanogen took a U-turn on its blog, on 4th December, then cleared its stance in a subsequent blog post. All very confusing, over what devices would be supported, and what devices wouldn’t.

The end result of the judgement (the part that matters) is that given the lack of an agreement between Micromax and OnePlus, Micromax does indeed have exclusive rights in India as the result of a subsequent agreement. The judgement does note, however, that “the damages, compensation and loss, if any, suffered by OnePlus would be a subject matter of litigation between OnePlus in California.” Somewhat amusingly, the judge has to go by the “last word emanating from Cyanogen”, given the U-turns and confusion caused by their blog posts. The judgement granted an interim injunction against OnePlus (and all the usual associates) from “marketing, selling and shipping its OnePlus mobiles in India”, and that stock “lying in the market… is allowed to be disposed of.”

Personally I think it's ridiculous how Cyanogen terminated the Indian launch endorsement with Oneplus despite the contract between the two stating "global non-exclusivity" of the Cyanogen-OS. Furthermore to do it through a two line email after Micromax deal was made public is just unethical.

Long article but it's worth a read if you have some time.

Source http://www.xda-developers.com/android/cyngn-oneplus-micromax-the-legal-battle/

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Yeah, your point that it was a bit rude to do it other email but Cyanogen didn't have much choice or they'd be breaching their contract with Micromax

Steve

Yeah, your point that it was a bit rude to do it other email but Cyanogen didn't have much choice or they'd be breaching their contract with Micromax

Though if they didn't sign exclusivity with Micromax whilst already in contract with Oneplus this wouldn't have been an issue.

Though if they didn't sign exclusivity with Micromax whilst already in contract with Oneplus this wouldn't have been an issue.

no company is perfect 

Steve

Definitely worth the read, didn't knew it, till you post it. (active XDA user in Development subforums). Well, there goes a good phone without an OS. I guess OnePlus would raise their prices when they switch to stock Android.

no company is perfect 

May I ask why your stance on this is so non-chalant?

Cyanogen is clearly in the wrong here. They knew they were breaching the contract and as soon as they had smelled the money they betrayed Oneplus and ripped apart a 2-year deal like that.

What's even more important is that it shows how Cyanogen has changed from a community project to this international company that breaks contracts like it's nothing.

Everything I say here refers to the article that got posted, so haven't you read the article or do you just not care one bit?

I'm curious how this turns out and I'm curious if Oneplus has an alternative OS to fall back on (Ubuntu? :D

I'm curious how this turns out and I'm curious if Oneplus has an alternative OS to fall back on (Ubuntu? :D

OnePlus is working on their own version of Android. I don't know how good it will be but it seems like OnePlus will keep it fairly close to stock and features they believe will benefit the users. They also seem to be very open about it and will take suggestions/criticism to heart.

OnePlus is working on their own version of Android. I don't know how good it will be but it seems like OnePlus will keep it fairly close to stock and features they believe will benefit the users. They also seem to be very open about it and will take suggestions/criticism to heart.

“Our system will be based on Lollipop, and will be built to be stable, fast, and lightweight. True to our original promise of putting user experience first, it will be bloatware-free and only carry the features important to our users. We appreciate the work that Google has put into Android, and we have no plans of departing from Material Design nor adding unnecessary customizations,” the company said.

Sounds good to me :)

I still wish they'd try out Ubuntu OS

Definitely worth the read, didn't knew it, till you post it. (active XDA user in Development subforums). Well, there goes a good phone without an OS. I guess OnePlus would raise their prices when they switch to stock Android.

I doubt it, they seem to actually care about the community despite some of their past blunders. This would certainly fly in the face of their 'Never Settle' campaign. 

“Our system will be based on Lollipop, and will be built to be stable, fast, and lightweight. True to our original promise of putting user experience first, it will be bloatware-free and only carry the features important to our users. We appreciate the work that Google has put into Android, and we have no plans of departing from Material Design nor adding unnecessary customizations,” the company said.

Sounds good to me  :)

I still wish they'd try out Ubuntu OS

That's the beauty of the open nature of Android, looks like a couple guys are working on it but have run into kernel issues. http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development/rom-t2886133

May I ask why your stance on this is so non-chalant?

Cyanogen is clearly in the wrong here. They knew they were breaching the contract and as soon as they had smelled the money they betrayed Oneplus and ripped apart a 2-year deal like that.

What's even more important is that it shows how Cyanogen has changed from a community project to this international company that breaks contracts like it's nothing.

Everything I say here refers to the article that got posted, so haven't you read the article or do you just not care one bit?

i never said they were. i acknowledge that cyanogen are being twits. and yes its saddening for cyanogen to become a company with only money as a target.................................

Steve

its saddening for cyanogen to become a company with only money as a target.................................

It was just a matter of time ever since they became a company.

i never said they were. i acknowledge that cyanogen are being twits. and yes its saddening for cyanogen to become a company with only money as a target.................................

My apologies.

The way you said it gave the idea that you were defending them in some way. :)

My apologies.

The way you said it gave the idea that you were defending them in some way. :)

No offense taken, I like the software, not the company

Steve

No offense taken, I like the software, not the company

I'm running Cyanogen on my Oneplus. This all got me thinking about alternatives..

Will this mean that we won't get our promised lollipop-based cyanogen mod promised within 3 months of android 5.0 launching for the oneplus one?

My Rig:

Core i7-7700K 4.5GHz Quad-Core,

MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard,

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory,

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card,

Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5",

Solid State Drive, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Monitors:

BenQ XL2720Z 27 inch Gaming Monitor,

34" Class 21:9 UltraWide® Full HD IPS LED Monitor

Peripherals:

Noppoo Choc Mini 84 RGB (Brown Switches),

Logitech G Pro

Liquid smooth has lollipop which im running

Thanks for the lead.. I found a few very interesting roms called Mahdi rom and Cyanhacker. I'm gonna try them out :D

Cyanogen turned into a bunch of assholes. It's really sad to see this, and however, if I were in OnePlus shoes, I'd try to cancel the contract with Cyanogen and try to get Android on their devices. I'd even be ready to pay 100$ more for it. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Those emails are really startling. I'm trying to imagine Carl's face when he read them: they are really jaw dropping when taken in context of what's at stake.

Thanks for the lead.. I found a few very interesting roms called Mahdi rom and Cyanhacker. I'm gonna try them out :D

I'm on mahdi for my Oneplus, along with AK kernel the thing last forever and absolutely flies.

Heard of Madhi but not cyanhacler. I wanna install CM7 on my phone now.

Steve