512GB SSD or GTX 980? - Decisions Decisions

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

As you can probably guess from the title I'm trying to decide one over the other. I currently have a 256GB SSD selected for my build (+ 2TB HDD for mass storage) and a GTX 970. But with my budget I can either go for a 512GB SSD or a GTX 980 GPU. This is for a planned build next year. I don't have any parts.

Usage: Video Editing

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If you're going to be using this build for editing, then that drive is not going to suffice, as you probably have another drive or something that's being used as the mass storage. Having a stronger card will help in the rendering department.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

SSD! You already have a GTX 970!!!

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Honestly, neither are worth upgrading if you ask me. You can try a route in between, and get a 2nd 970 along with a smaller SSD. But still, 256GB is more than enough for windows and your favorite games.

Edit: for video editing, you might be better off buying a large HDD.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Get another 970 or a 1tb drive. If you can afford a 980 you can afford a 1tb ssd. 

I'd go for a second 970. It doesn't make sense to buy a 980 if you already have a 970, the performance difference is not big and the 980 is plain overpriced. Plus you'd be loosing money when selling the 970.

If you don't want sli, go for the 512gb ssd, it can be very useful when editing large files :)

Edit: for video editing, you might be better off buying a large HDD.

Actually importing large files from a hdd is a real pain in the ass, it's just plain too slow.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Get another 970, then spend that extra $200 you saved from the 980 for this particular 512GB SSD. (I know it's probably not the best SSD for your workload, but man, dat value... :o)

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

Okay, just something to note guys is that it'd be cheaper for me to get a GTX 980 then another GTX 970. ;)

I don't think you'll see a huge increase in performance with a 980 but having that extra space seems really useful for keeping all your footage. I'd probably go for the SSD

1. When I first upgraded to an SSD for my boot drive and primary software (Adobe Creative suite), my first thought was.... Damn, thought it would be faster... Don't believe the HYPE!

2. When upgrading from my GTX 570 to GTX 980, I first thought, damn, thought it would be faster.... Don't believe the HYPE!

If your 4K, wait for a graphics card that is more powerful, I should have waited till 2015 Q4. The 980 will pump it out, but will not keep 60fps. GTX 970 single - no chance. (game dependent ofc)

As for a choice between SSD or GFX, GFX (depending on how shait your current card is)

1. When I first upgraded to an SSD for my boot drive and primary software (Adobe Creative suite), my first thought was.... Damn, thought it would be faster... Don't believe the HYPE!

2. When upgrading from my GTX 570 to GTX 980, I first thought, damn, thought it would be faster.... Don't believe the HYPE!

If your 4K, wait for a graphics card that is more powerful, I should have waited till 2015 Q4. The 980 will pump it out, but will not keep 60fps. GTX 970 single - no chance. (game dependent ofc)

As for a choice between SSD or GFX, GFX (depending on how shait your current card is)

I don't really game that much mate. It sounds like you're saying to not get either. Not sure how helpful that is. :huh:

I don't really game that much mate. It sounds like you're saying to not get either. Not sure how helpful that is. :huh:

I work and game on the same machine. So from 09:00 till 18:00 I'm working. I do have a SSD and GTX 980 (basic). If I had to choose, it would be the 980 and live with one of my old Western Digital Caviar Back HDs which isn't that slow.

Keep that 970, it is only slightly slower than a 980 but much cheaper. I think more SSD storage is better for video editing, since you would probably have to deal with huge files.

If you have enough money you can get a 512GB Samsung 850 pro, not only because it's fast, it's also reliable and has a 10 years/150TBW warranty. If you even have more money... a 1TB 850 pro  :ph34r:

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

I work and game on the same machine. So from 09:00 till 18:00 I'm working. I do have a SSD and GTX 980 (basic). If I had to choose, it would be the 980 and live with one of my old Western Digital Caviar Back HDs which isn't that slow.

Right...I see. I think I'll still stick with the SSD + HDD option. Maybe I'll go for the SSD option. Something to also note is that I'm coming from a GT 430 and so a GTX 970 is going to be a huge upgrade for me. :)

Ah you have a 970 already, god no... dont get the 980, its not worth the upgrade. Get the SSD

Keep that 970, it is only slightly slower than a 980 but much cheaper. I think more SSD storage is better for video editing, since you would probably have to deal with huge files.

If you have enough money you can get a 512GB Samsung 850 pro, not only because it's fast, it's also reliable and has a 10 years/150TBW warranty. If you even have more money... a 1TB 850 pro  :ph34r:

Thanks for the suggestion, I am actually going for this. :)

Ah you have a 970 already, god no... dont get the 980, its not worth the upgrade. Get the SSD

No, I don't have this system already. This is a build that I'm planning. ;)

Keep your mobey till february. Lets see what nvidia will show to us. I also pending the 980.

SLI the 970 or keep the 970 and get more SSD storage it will help you if you are video editing. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Keep your mobey till february. Lets see what nvidia will show to us. I also pending the 980.

Yeah, well this build won't be till some time next year anyway. :)

SLI the 970 or keep the 970 and get more SSD storage it will help you if you are video editing.

As mentioned before, a single GTX 980 is cheaper then 2 GTX 970s in SLI here in Australia. ;)

As mentioned before, a single GTX 980 is cheaper then 2 GTX 970s in SLI here in Australia. ;)

But you already have one.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yeah, well this build won't be till some time next year anyway. :)

When i bought my 780, nvidia launched 780ti 2 months later. That was hurt