Coil Whine when Folding on 970.

Go to solution Solved by Maxwit44,

nope. Coil whine on folding varies from card to card. I have one 970 that whines more than a stuffed pig, yet my other one, dead silent. Even on same projects. Go figure....

@biscotto

Hi guys. I've recently started folding using a non-OCed Zotac 970 Amp! Omega and I've been experiencing some coil whine on WU 7624 at medium. I have not experienced any coil whine on WU 9201 nor on the games I play. The coil whine goes away when I underclock the GPU to under 900Mhz. Is this something to worry about?

nope. Coil whine on folding varies from card to card. I have one 970 that whines more than a stuffed pig, yet my other one, dead silent. Even on same projects. Go figure....

@biscotto

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

Hi guys. I've recently started folding using a non-OCed Zotac 970 Amp! Omega and I've been experiencing some coil whine on WU 7624 at medium. I have not experienced any coil whine on WU 9201 nor on the games I play. The coil whine goes away when I underclock the GPU to under 900Mhz. Is this something to worry about?

Well it's just the card's scream of death, as it's slowly dying while you mine useless currency.

It's probably normal. I suggest using another PSU and seeing if it continues, which if it does, is probably the cards fault. In that case, contact Zotac and see what they can do.

Well it's just the card's scream of death, as it's slowly dying while you mine useless currency.

He's folding, not mining. Additionally, a coil whine is NOT a sign of death.

PC in Profile

Uhh...Folding isn't mining. I've lost two family members from cancer so I'm helping out with the research when doing some light work on my PC.

Uhh...Folding isn't mining. I've lost two family members from cancer so I'm helping out with the research when doing some light work on my PC.

Oops, I read two different topics and thought you were mining, sorry about that.