Problems after reinstallation of Win 8.1

Go to solution Solved by thorpj,

Solution:

Issue #1 Allow Windows update to install drivers, or Google hardware ID and install

Issue #2 Google "Google Chrome Offline Install"

Issue #3 Both VPN entries are part of Windows

Hi everybody, I reinstalled Windows 8.1 today, and have encountered a number of issues, that I've not seen before.

I'm unable to put images in the threads (only links) until issue #2 is resolved. IE11 seems to have some problem. When I try to place an image in, the page freezes, and I've just reloaded the page by pressing backspace, even though I was typing, so this is the third time I've written this! DW though, once #2 is solved, I can get back to Chrome.

Issue #1  - Two Non-functioning devices in Device Manager

tNxxosO.png

I've installed the following drivers: 

lYmKrBL.png

I wish I could post the link to my mobo, but IE11 won't let me copy/paste!

* I must add that I didn't have an "Intel Rapid Storage Technology"

bXdg2nN.png

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I didn't install the Intel Management Interface until last week (on my previous install of win)

Issue #2 - Google Chrome unable to install due to firewall - SOLVED

[spoiler=http://imgur.com/YiikIWv]YiikIWv.png

Where do I need to go to enable this?

Issue #3 - Two VPN Entries in Windows Firewall

So I opened Windows firewall, thinking that i'd find an entry for Chrome there, and instead encountered these two entries 

oTOSU3W.png

I've never installed a VPN (I did install Teamviewer in my previous install of Win though), yet with my previous install of win, there were a number of TAP drivers under network drivers (in device manager), which indicates a VPN.

Now i'm curious as to why I've got two VPN entries, having just installed Windows.

thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Update: I've allowed the Google installer through Windows Firewall, but it still doesn't work.

I downloaded chrome 64bit from http://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html . I didn't click the first result on Google and get a virus.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Update #2:

Firstly, where is everyone...Apparently this thread has had 26 views, and I don't think I've viewed it that many times.

secondly: I completely disabled Windows firewall, ran the google chrome installer, and it came up with the same error. So it's not a firewall that's causing the problem, and i'm connected to the internet (otherwise, how am I posting this!)

Issue #2 is fixed! I used the offline installer of chrome (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/chrome/whitelist$20google%7Csort:date/chrome/8spupgGwo4c/Go-MHVkOB1IJ)

I'll update the first post now that i can copy and paste

Driver Issue: This should be the missing one http://download.wdc.com/smartware/WD_SES_Driver_Setup_x64.zip Could be an external hdd or a hdd controller.

To this vpn entries: This is a new feature of windows 8 and is called "inbox vpn clients support" I'm not sure to what application it is linked buy wildest quess is windows mail app. I do have the same entries by checking my settings. So nothing to worry.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/pulse/guides/j-pulse-windows-inbox-client-qsg.pdf

Microsoft Windows 8.1 introduced Junos Pulse client as part of the Windows operating
system. (Microsoft calls this an “in-box” application.) The Windows in-box Pulse client
appears as a VPN Provider network option within Windows 8.1 and later endpoints,

including Windows RT endpoints. T

go to the properties of the unknown device

go to Hardware ID  and give that a google

the Hardware ID will show what is the device and the correct driver to install

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Driver Issue: This should be the missing one http://download.wdc.com/smartware/WD_SES_Driver_Setup_x64.zip Could be an external hdd or a hdd controller.

To this vpn entries: This is a new feature of windows 8 and is called "inbox vpn clients support" I'm not sure to what application it is linked buy wildest quess is windows mail app. I do have the same entries by checking my settings. So nothing to worry.

Right, thanks for clearing up the vpn problem.

As for the WD SES. I'm guessing win Update installed the driver last time, but this time i stopped it from installing drivers automatically

go to the properties of the unknown device

go to Hardware ID  and give that a google

the Hardware ID will show what is the device and the correct driver to install

Hey dragoon, i still remember you helping me out way back :)

the Hardware ID for the unknown device is "ACPI\VEN_PNP&DEV_0A0A"

Googleing it provides a unch of results for the usual driver scams.

Well, whatever the second driver was, Win Update managed to install both the unknown and the WD SES. 

so thanks for your help guys, Windows is running smoother than ever before :D

It looks to me it a driver from Asus

ah it this

asus probe ii sense

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Your device is the AMDA Interface or Asus Probe Sense driver

Edit: Dragon you Ninja  :ph34r:

Solution:

Issue #1 Allow Windows update to install drivers, or Google hardware ID and install

Issue #2 Google "Google Chrome Offline Install"

Issue #3 Both VPN entries are part of Windows

Your device is the AMDA Interface or Asus Probe Sense driver

Edit: Dragon you Ninja  :ph34r:

Oh, i read about the Asus Probe Sense somewhere, but i thought it was another piece of bloatware like AiSuite 3. Aisuite is the whole reason i had to do this reinstall... Fan Xpert 2 is nice, but i'd rather spend money on a HW fan controller, than have to deal with the side effects.

Indeed, Dragoon is one helluva a ninja

also, do you really have the fastest Pentium K on LTT?

Oh, i read about the Asus Probe Sense somewhere, but i thought it was another piece of bloatware like AiSuite 3. Aisuite is the whole reason i had to do this reinstall... Fan Xpert 2 is nice, but i'd rather spend money on a HW fan controller, than have to deal with the side effects.

Indeed, Dragoon is one helluva a ninja

also, do you really have the fastest Pentium K on LTT?

Yupp this software fancontrollers are a pain to deal with. I think amda is the driver to read temps from the mb to ai suite properly. I haven't looked so much into it as I'm also going with an external fanmeter. Lamptron Fc6 ^_^

For the pentium, daily oc is in the signature. And we had a little fun with a mo-ra3

lGpMkJk.jpg
Don't try this at home, chip dies after 15 minutes but was worth the fun.

Yupp this software fancontrollers are a pain to deal with. I think amda is the driver to read temps from the mb to ai suite properly. I haven't looked so much into it as I'm also going with an external fanmeter. Lamptron Fc6 ^_^

For the pentium, daily oc is in the signature. And we had a little fun with a mo-ra3

lGpMkJk.jpg
Don't try this at home, chip dies after 15 minutes but was worth the fun.

Oh the SW fan controller worked fine, but Installing fan xpert involved installing other components of Aisuite. So not only did Aisuite run slowly, it made the rest of the system run slow. i spent ages waiting for the pc to finish startup, as it was trying to launch aisuite

5.45 ghz! If only linus had done that in the david vs goliath video, it might have had a chance there...

What were temps like under full load?

Oh the SW fan controller worked fine, but Installing fan xpert involved installing other components of Aisuite. So not only did Aisuite run slowly, it made the rest of the system run slow. i spent ages waiting for the pc to finish startup, as it was trying to launch aisuite

5.45 ghz! If only linus had done that in the david vs goliath video, it might have had a chance there...

What were temps like under full load?

It's not mean to be clocked that high. There is no way someone can run this as a daily driver. ~4,8Ghz is possible with a custom loop or one huge aircooler like Noctua Nh D15 or SilverArrow IB E. Temps where in the high 70's to 80's but mora is tripple 420 radiator. TDP raised to 120 watts. + it was really unstable. 

But hey asus makes solid boards. They don't really give you lots of bloatware.

It's not mean to be clocked that high. There is no way someone can run this as a daily driver. ~4,8Ghz is possible with a custom loop or one huge aircooler like Noctua Nh D15 or SilverArrow IB E. Temps where in the high 70's to 80's but mora is tripple 420 radiator. TDP raised to 120 watts. + it was really unstable. 

But hey asus makes solid boards. They don't really give you lots of bloatware.

True, the chip would probably die before luke could finish his benchmarks

True again, they make solid boards, i'm happy with that!

thanks again