Noctua U14S vs. C14

UnderwearThief

I want to get to overclocking my CPU(i5-4690k), but I'm still running to stock cooler and I need to pick up an aftermarket one. I'm stuck between the Noctua NH-U14S and the C14 coolers. I don't like massively large towers, like the NH-D14/15 and the U14S is an acceptable compromise. The problem is, I can't find very many benchmarks that include the C14 and other coolers. I need some help picking which one is best for 4.4GHz-4.7GHz range overclocking(depends on CPU, of course)

Biased towards bequiet! here, performance to looks ratio is pretty good.  ;)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_c14_cpu_cooler_review,6.html

And here are some benches for the C14

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

The U14S is a very capable cooler only being a few degrees worse than the NH-D14.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Biased towards bequiet! here, performance to looks ratio is pretty good.  ;)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_c14_cpu_cooler_review,6.html

And here are some benches for the C14

I think all the be quiet! coolers look damn good, but I think I'm in the minority when I say I actually like the look of the Noctua fans...As for the benchmarks, those are very helpful! However, they are somewhat outdated and I'm not sure how that would translate to Haswell processors. It also doesn't compare the U14S in the benchmarks, but I imagine it wasn't out at the time.

The U14S is a very capable cooler only being a few degrees worse than the NH-D14.

Do you know how it compares to the C14? The only difference between the two is the tower and price.

BTW, I live in Canada for pricing purposes

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-c12p-se14-nh-c14/6 

How about these benches?

Also Price wise, the Noctua solutions are going to be around 79.99-89.99 CAD, while the bequiet! slim rock is about 49.99 CAD

source@ ncix.com

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-c12p-se14-nh-c14/6 

How about these benches?

Also Price wise, the Noctua solutions are going to be around 79.99-89.99 CAD, while the bequiet! slim rock is about 49.99 CAD

source@ ncix.com

404 Page not found

$50? Hmm...that's a good deal. Where would I get a second fan for one of those guys, as they have a slightly different mounting system than normal?

Any standard square framed fan should fit into it, same mounting system as the Dark Rock Pro 3 which I have.

Pictures from the site, dunno why error 404.

temp-idle.jpg

temp-load.jpg

Build

Any standard square framed fan should fit into it, same mounting system as the Dark Rock Pro 3 which I have.

I was under the impression that the DRP3 mounted the fans with hole in the middle of the fan, as opposed to the edge of it. So the mounting bracket is a tad too short for regular fans

The performance for the U14s is pretty good, almost D14 good with push pull

Build

The performance for the U14s is pretty good, almost D14 good with push pull

With 2 fans, though, the thing costs a heck of a lot more, which is why I considered the C14 in the first place. However, according to those benchmarks the U14S with one fan beats out that. Looks like a better deal, to me. Do you know how easy the thing is to mount? I haven't had any experience with aftermarket air coolers

With 2 fans, though, the thing costs a heck of a lot more, which is why I considered the C14 in the first place. However, according to those benchmarks the U14S with one fan beats out that. Looks like a better deal, to me. Do you know how easy the thing is to mount? I haven't had any experience with aftermarket air coolers

Depends on your motor skills and how well you can hold small screws while you put the mounting mechanism together.

Build

All of Noctua's coolers are a breeze to mount.

The C14 is good if you want to cool the motherboard components as well as the cpu and has a better sound signature at lower speeds. Otherwise, the u14s is a more updated option that performs better, fits most case's front intake to rear exhaust airflow, and accommodates well for taller ram. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I want to get to overclocking my CPU(i5-4690k), but I'm still running to stock cooler and I need to pick up an aftermarket one. I'm stuck between the Noctua NH-U14S and the C14 coolers. I don't like massively large towers, like the NH-D14/15 and the U14S is an acceptable compromise. The problem is, I can't find very many benchmarks that include the C14 and other coolers. I need some help picking which one is best for 4.4GHz-4.7GHz range overclocking(depends on CPU, of course)

Get the U14s, it performs miles better than the C14, it is the best single tower  cooler you can get, its also amazingly quiet. I have a 3770k OC'd to 4.6 with it.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Get the U14s, it performs miles better than the C14.

It clearly doesn't.. They're not that far apart in performance.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

All of Noctua's coolers are a breeze to mount.

The C14 is good if you want to cool the motherboard components as well as the cpu and has a better sound signature at lower speeds. Otherwise, the u14s is a more updated option that performs better, fits most case's front intake to rear exhaust airflow, and accommodates well for taller ram. 

That's good to know, thanks! It's good to know about the sound signature, and I picked low-profile ram just for things like this :)