How much warning to Nvidia give?

alexleov

My 6950 has failed so I have decided to get a new card.

My question is how far ahead of a new card launch do Nvidia announce cards?

Im looking at a 980 but if  something else (980 ti or something else) is due the next month or so I will wait.

I dont mind if i get a 980 and 4 months later something better comes out but if its only 1 or 2 I will be abit annoyed.

Im planning on building a new PC in the new year so I was just going to wait till then. 

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

The odds of something better coming out is extremely low. The only thing that will happen in the foreseeable future is price drops if there is anything released by AMD that competes with the current offerings of 900 series.

Again, if AMD does not put out anything competitive, they have no reason to rush something that surpasses the 900 cards. So you're perfectly safe buying one now.

I'd say 970 right now, it would be a worthy upgrade to your 6950

Compatible with Windows 95

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My 6950 has failed so I have decided to get a new card.

My question is how far ahead of a new card launch do Nvidia announce cards?

Im looking at a 980 but if  something else (980 ti or something else) is due the next month or so I will wait.

I dont mind if i get a 980 and 4 months later something better comes out but if its only 1 or 2 I will be abit annoyed.

Im planning on building a new PC in the new year so I was just going to wait till then. 

1 or 2 what ? a 980 will perform really good unless you run something really sick like 3x4K 120hz (is this even a thing?) surround setup you wont notice the difference.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I've seen a few articles that point towards a 980 ti in the first quarter of 2016, but those were just rumors. They usually announce it a couple of months beforehand (2-3).

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

The odds of something better coming out is extremely low. The only thing that will happen in the foreseeable future is price drops if there is anything released by AMD that competes with the current offerings of 900 series.

Again, if AMD does not put out anything competitive, they have no reason to rush something that surpasses the 900 cards. So you're perfectly safe buying one now.

You forgot about the 960 thats supposed to be announced at CES

If you're gaming at 1080p, the 980 will be super overkill anyways. You won't need a 980ti

There is no point in speculating about a card that may or may not actually exist.

There have been no official leaks.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

get a 970, nVidia and AMD don't really say much about cards coming out until they come out. The only reason people knew a date on the 980 was because of the 24 hour event nVidia had really. 

There have been no official leaks.

Official leaks? How's that? There were rumours and even benchmarks of a fully enabled GM200.

ofc there will be new cards but not that soon .first amd has to make a move then nvidia will release the GM200

You forgot about the 960 thats supposed to be announced at CES

I didn't forget about it because I never cared enough to have even known about it, but regardless that doesn't really change anything from my original post. 

I didn't forget about it because I never cared enough to have even known about it, but regardless that doesn't really change anything from my original post. 

Ah i see. Im one of those waiting patiently for them to give the actual specs for it along with the price. Im really hoping for 3-4gb of vram and not the 2 thats been rumored.

take 980 for example, rumors existed for months, but nvidia never officially said anything before the launch

Why not just go ahead and pick something up from evga for now and use their step up program if something else pops up that youre interested in?

Thanks. As I thought they announce them at launch. I guess I was thinking of the 980 haw there was leaks couldn't remember if that was normal.

I had forgot about the step up program from EVGA though I'm not sure that is available in NZ. I going to get an EVGA card anyway.

I have a 1440p monitor now and am thinking about getting a 21:9 1440p so even though the 980 is still probably over kill for that I want one. I'm going x99 also so over kill is kinda the theme.

If they drop heaps in price I will just get a 2nd.

Edit: Just looked on the EVGA site and no the step up program is only USA, Canada and EU.

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q