GPU only water cooling? Safe?

rombom4

So I have a Gigabyte r9 280x, and it doesn't have a stock pcb, so when I was looking to buy th eparts for my custom water cooling loop, the only options are gpu only waterblocks. I realize this doesn't cool the mossfets or vram, and am worried it would be unstable. I do have an intake fan that blows air directly to it, but are there options out there to keep them cooler? I have seen little adhesive heatsinks oyu can attach, do tehy help? Or am I just way too paranoid :P

My Rig: AMD FX-6300, Gigabyte Windforce 280x, 8GB Adata XPG 1866 Mhz

Coming soon  :lol: : Two Kuhler 650's, one on the cpu, the other paired witha Kraken G10 

1) Why water cool an R9 280x? That money could be spent in a new GPU (Like a brand new GTX 980) which will annihilate the R9 280X

2) GPU only means only the GPU yes. This means the VRAM, Mosfets, VRM's, etc. are NOT cooled and this is far from recommended.

If I were you I'd get a better GPU instead of watercooling but if you are adamant on going watercooling then you need to make sure you have an excellent fan blowing DIRECTLY on said parts that are not covered. Additionally you could look into getting a Kraken G10 and see if it is compatible with the R9 280x and then get an AIO to go along with it. Much cheaper and more reliable than having a ghetto way of cooling the parts that are not covered.

Again, I don't recommend this at all. I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade the GPU instead to something like a GTX 980. Watercooling the R9 280X is not worth it

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

1) Why water cool an R9 280x? That money could be spent in a new GPU (Like a brand new GTX 980) which will annihilate the R9 280X

2) GPU only means only the GPU yes. This means the VRAM, Mosfets, VRM's, etc. are NOT cooled and this is far from recommended.

If I were you I'd get a better GPU instead of watercooling but if you are adamant on going watercooling then you need to make sure you have an excellent fan blowing DIRECTLY on said parts that are not covered. Additionally you could look into getting a Kraken G10 and see if it is compatible with the R9 280x and then get an AIO to go along with it. Much cheaper and more reliable than having a ghetto way of cooling the parts that are not covered.

Again, I don't recommend this at all. I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade the GPU instead to something like a GTX 980. Watercooling the R9 280X is not worth it

I actually just found a great waterblock for it :) The main reason is that I have a friend who is going to sell me his other 280x, and will go crossfire, and I build a lot of pc's for people, so I can sell stuff off pretty quickly.

My Rig: AMD FX-6300, Gigabyte Windforce 280x, 8GB Adata XPG 1866 Mhz

Coming soon  :lol: : Two Kuhler 650's, one on the cpu, the other paired witha Kraken G10