Onboard vs sound card

TechNooby
Hi,

Would the sound quality be better from the onboard sound on a Asus X99 Deluxe or a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE (worth about £25) card?

Would anyone be able to recommend a set of speakers for around £60-£70?

Thanks.

Creative Sound Blaster should be louder?
Idk Some mainboards got really good and loud amplifiers these days.

Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks (wired) are good. Idk the pricing in  £.

Hi,

Would the sound quality be better from the onboard sound on a Asus X99 Deluxe or a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE (worth about £25) card?

The quality will be about the same. The qualities will be different, but honestly the onboard sound should deliver a pleasing listening experience.

Another option would be to just buy a good DAC, or DAC and Amp combo thing. does the same thing, except you can take it anywhere with you, your not limited to being able to use it in one machine.

Here is a completely irrational idea, take the money for the pointless sound card, and buy a better set of speakers that have their own amp and dont need a sound card anyway?

Here is a completely irrational idea, take the money for the pointless sound card, and buy a better set of speakers that have their own amp and dont need a sound card anyway?

But the only way to get quality in audio is to upgrade your amp and DAC.

But the only way to get quality in audio is to upgrade your amp and DAC.

Damn, forgot about muh audiofeels, I should go back too licking oil pans clean.

I got my soundblaster and it changed my life. To this day, it is my favourite upgrade, even more than my SSD. It seriously opened my ears up to a new level of sound that I have never heard. The software is great, the 'make everything awesome' button is handly, the clarity is beautiful, I cannot live without it.

Another option would be to just buy a good DAC, or DAC and Amp combo thing. does the same thing, except you can take it anywhere with you, your not limited to being able to use it in one machine.

you're*

But can you plug in your speakers and headphones and switch between them? Does it have optimized sound settings for different modes? IF so I would switch

you're*

But can you plug in your speakers and headphones and switch between them? Does it have optimized sound settings for different modes? IF so I would switch

It's a classic 'features vs performance'. An analogy: An F1 is a very shitty car, no air con, no passenger seat, no audio, no glove box, nothing. It got no good enjoyable features of car. Performance wise, it's one of the best in the world. So it depends on what you're looking for, either way is good. Some people prefer some bells and whistles, others stick to basic operations but better performance. 

A dedicated stereo DAC does basic task only, which is converting digital stereo audio data to analog data, that's it, nothing else. The difference is in the performance wise. One of the biggest advantage is the small output impedance, compared to onboards/sound cards. Google around to see what output impedance of an amp is, and how it can destroy the sound of low impedance headphones. 

It's a classic 'features vs performance'. An analogy: An F1 is a very shitty car, no air con, no passenger seat, no audio, no glove box, nothing. It got no good enjoyable features of car. Performance wise, it's one of the best in the world. So it depends on what you're looking for, either way is good. Some people prefer some bells and whistles, others stick to basic operations but better performance. 

A dedicated stereo DAC does basic task only, which is converting digital stereo audio data to analog data, that's it, nothing else. The difference is in the performance wise. One of the biggest advantage is the small output impedance, compared to onboards/sound cards. Google around to see what output impedance of an amp is, and how it can destroy the sound of low impedance headphones. 

Where does the dac plug into? Couldn't you plug the dac into a soundcard and get the best of both worlds??

Where does the dac plug into? Couldn't you plug the dac into a soundcard and get the best of both worlds??

Soundcard is a DAC + AVR, albeit not a very good one. PC can only use 1 DAC at a time. It's like a driver of a car. You can have 5 drivers in 1 car, but only 1 guy can drive the car in a time. 

A good setup would be external DAC + external AVR. You do all the digital data processing outside of the PC's case, which is very vulnerable to EMI and noises, with the surround features. When it's 'pulled' outside, there's a wide variety of possibilities, from tone controls, presets, EQ, and a lot more. The down side is, it can be quite pricey. 

Normally I would suggested an audiophile DAC/AMP since the sound quality that they produced is simply better than those onboard or audio card. But if you are looking for a DAC/AMP from Creative, the E5 or X7 should be a good option.

I like PC, but I like Music as well.