PC in a desk (build log/advice needed)

Update!!

Well, I decided to cut out of cardboard the exact sizes of the various boards to see how they would look and where things would go.

Again I've made the slides in publisher.

this is the front board that will house the fans.

-snip-

as you can see I've prepared how i will be attaching the board to the desk.

the fans will be pretty close together on each side, from the picture they look pretty far apart.

Another thing you may have noticed is 2 fans each side and not 3, yeah I could only fit 2 in (glad i found out this early on).

I Still don't know how I'm going to attach the fans to the board itself, because I'm going to cut out the 120mm square, I want them to be flush with the board both the outside and on the inside, the thickness of the fans i want (Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition) is 2.5cm, so the thickness of the board has now increased to that. Quick search of google and i found this

-snip-

i think something similar to this will be fine, 1 end screws into the fan and the other screws into the board, this will be done on the inside as obviously i don't want to see this! 

Next up is the part where the dvd drives and fan controller will be enclosed,

-snip-

I'm currently torn on whether or not to actually include the dvd drive as i only have space for two 5.25inch bays and i still havent found out how i will be actually turning the system on yet and i will need front USB 3.0 ports. As you can see in the bottom left I've come up with attaching the bays using an L Bracket, 

-snip-

one side will attach to the bays and the other will be screwed onto the front board itself. It isn't going to be easy if i decide to remove one of the bays from the board as i will need to unscrew both sides just to remove the entire front board itself and then unscrew the bracket from the bay, so i might come up with another solution over the next few weeks. Excuse the picture of the side view of the bays, i moved them last minute and the front red bit didn't move with it so it looks a little off! My bad.

Next we have the baseboard.

-snip-

As you can see I've mapped out how it will look when its (srot of) finished, in the top right is the back board that currently is attached to the desk and there I will have spaces cut out for the corsair liquid cooler, another fan to the left of the motherboard (which i forgot to include) and finally spaces for the io panel and exhaust of the PSU. 

I was reading this morning for ideas on how to attach the motherboard to the baseboard and the best and probably easiest solution would be to drill down, round the top part of the hole where i will then glue a washer on that hole so that i can screw in a normal motherboard standoff, its so i can change the motherboard if need be and to keep it raised off the base. I had seen people cut out from an old case the bottom so that all the ATX size holes would be there but more than likely i will be able to see that as I'm looking in, I mean i could spray that board with the same colour that the baseboard is going to be (possibly black), but i don't really fancy chopping up my Coolermast HAF case, same with the PCI and IO Panel part, i think i will have to cut that part out of a case as i can't find one anywhere that delivers to the UK. 

Anyway that is my update for now, the cardboard cut outs are really bad looking in the pictures but aside from that i can see how each part is going to be and like I've said from the beginning i only have one chance so I'm taking my time as much as i want to get going tomorrow!

Thanks!!

SO first off, for the front USB ports you could do somthing like using this http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Motherboard-Extension-Cable-Inches/dp/B004RS5OYI and then putting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200294 on the end of it leaving only the USB input end sticking out of the table ny the power (if this doesn't make sense let me know).  Or maybe this for audio and USB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RP0YW4999

Next the power buttons: You will need to take the power buttons and cords out of a case because I can NOT find where you can just buy them.  Also, isn't a fan controller the size of 2 front bays?

Other than that it all looks good.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

SO first off, for the front USB ports you could do somthing like using this http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Motherboard-Extension-Cable-Inches/dp/B004RS5OYI and then putting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200294 on the end of it leaving only the USB input end sticking out of the table ny the power (if this doesn't make sense let me know).  Or maybe this for audio and USB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RP0YW4999

Next the power buttons: You will need to take the power buttons and cords out of a case because I can NOT find where you can just buy them.  Also, isn't a fan controller the size of 2 front bays?

Other than that it all looks good.

Not really too fussed on getting front panel audio, my keyboard has extenders on the side.

For front usb I think I'm gonna stick with my front USB 3.0 panel, it's not often I use it but it has two ports and I have one more on my keyboard if need be.

As for the front power button, I'm really getting worked up about it, there either way over priced or ugly, so I think ice made up my mind, I managed to acquire an old case which I'm going to get the back part out (with the io panel and PCI bracket) I'm also going to have a look at the front panel buttons and see what I can do. If not I've managed to find this, only downside is that it's from China so it'll take a month to get to the UK.

http://www.banggood.com/JM-202-PowerReset-Button-Switch-Module-with-Two-USB-Port-for-PC-p-937966.html?currency=GBP&refreshTmp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=ruby&utm_campaign=computer-uk&gclid=CKaC0Yjz28ICFdQZtAodg3oAHA

i designed a cross desk recently but i never got round to building it, here are some pictures : )

I've got a list of everything you'll need as well if you want it and it'll cost about £150 which is pretty decent

I've got a list of everything you'll need as well if you want it and it'll cost about £150 which is pretty decent

Thank you for the reply, tried having a look but apparently I don't have permission.

As for the list, please share. All I've done past few weeks is look for build logs, tried to get some ideas for mine.

t I'll need some new Silent 1200mm fans,

Mmm those are some big ass fans. :P

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

• 2 weeks later...

Update incoming! Friday, Saturday and Sunday is the day it all comes together, so far I've documented on what ive done and I shall have a proper update within the next few days!

Update incoming! Friday, Saturday and Sunday is the day it all comes together, so far I've documented on what ive done and I shall have a proper update within the next few days!

YaaaaaaaaY!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

Spoiler

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

Well here we have the semi final build log, I'm very pleased on how it turned out, it's still rough round the edges but i'm not the worlds best builder and you can't really see the imperfections unless you look for them, but i will be sorting those shortly. Also, I've said semi final, that is because I'm still waiting for my red LED strips, should be here on Wednesday i think. Anyway, here are the pictures.

Priming the base board.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

now (my Dad) is cutting the front fan board.

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

i needed to install the motherboard on the standoffs to figure out where the PCI bracket was roughly going to be and the mount for the psu.

IMG_0138.jpg

so with that done, then comes cutting up the desk. was emotional (not really haha)

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Dust was getting pretty bad in the kitchen, so i came up with a brilliant idea! 

IMG_0141.jpg

Anyway! back to the desk! here we finally cut out the window.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Now finally installing my stuff, which i later came to regret! i forgot to paint it black, but i suppose it was a test fit ;)

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

so after the "test fit" i decided to paint and primer the fan board and the baseboard.

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

so while they are drying, i decided to do some cable managing, i started with the rear exhaust fan. its in the very edge of the top of the desk. 

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

Now for the 2nd coat for the baseboard.

IMG_0155.jpg

and the 1st for the fan board.

IMG_0156.jpg

so the baseboard finally dried, round 2 of installing my motherboard standoffs and the motherboard itself.

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

so the fan board was dry, so i started cable managing with the cheap cable tie anchors i got from ebay. if you look close enough you can just see them, i think it looks pretty good for cables.

IMG_0162.jpg

now for a front view.

IMG_0163.jpg

Top down view.

IMG_0164.jpg

and finally for now, this is what i roughly see from where i am sitting (kind of)

IMG_0165.jpg

so that's it for now, i still need to mount the fan controller, the DVD drive and also the front USB 3.0

also the red LED strip should be coming in the next few days. I'll have a final update then and also some glamour pictures. 

I f*cking LOVE this!!! I want it so bad and I am so happy for you that you got it done :D  congratulations.  Can I have some deskmarks (*benchmarks pun intended)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

Spoiler

DO NOT POST SPAM!

This may be my last and final update, I've installed the LED strips which i received earlier than i expected. other than that though it's pretty much done, i had a lot of fun doing it and it feels so satisfying that it's very personal to me as there wont be another one out there that's exactly the same. 

now i come to think about it, i'm gonna say that it's not done, i can guarantee that each and every day i'll find something on it that'll need improving, for example, the window cut out is slightly bigger than the window itself, you can't see it because the keyboard is in the way but i plan on getting some tape foam and sealing that up, but yeah little things i'll notice and think, that needs changing. 

another thing to add which might be updated in this log at some point was, from the beginning i had it in my head that this desk was going to be water cooled. which is strange because i had scrapped the idea of the h80i cooler for the noctua low profile one you can see. the reason i wanted this from the beginning was, my MSI graphics card is soooooooo loud, and i had spent so much trying to make it all as silent as possible and forgetting that fact. so yeah around February - March time, maybe expect and update but for now i think the majority is done.

thank you to everyone that had kept interest in this post, i hadn't really planned to update it after the first post, and also thank you to everyone for your support.

to say goodbye here are some final pictures.

post-170158-0-07902600-1421784824_thumb.

post-170158-0-46440000-1421784849_thumb.

post-170158-0-08809900-1421784872_thumb.

post-170158-0-21470600-1421784896_thumb.

post-170158-0-64553400-1421784918_thumb.

post-170158-0-61218400-1421784936_thumb.

post-170158-0-35804700-1421784953_thumb.

saved the best for last.

post-170158-0-13677800-1421784974_thumb.

so that's it, as you can see i still need to get the wood cut for the drive bays and i'm going to get a monitor stand, similar to when you have two monitors but i will just be getting one where you can mount one monitor too, i don't like how the base of my monitor covers most of the window, plus every time i need to go inside i have to take the monitor off my desk and it's annoying.

anyways, thanks again and maybe i'll be back in a month or two.

post-170158-0-07902600-1421784824_thumb.

post-170158-0-46440000-1421784849_thumb.

post-170158-0-08809900-1421784872_thumb.

post-170158-0-21470600-1421784896_thumb.

post-170158-0-64553400-1421784918_thumb.

post-170158-0-61218400-1421784936_thumb.

post-170158-0-35804700-1421784953_thumb.

post-170158-0-13677800-1421784974_thumb.

I love it!

You should try somthinglike this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/700213/Peerless-PA730-Universal-Articulating-Wall-Arm/

Other than that I got no more tips and I can't wait for any future updates you have :D

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

Spoiler

DO NOT POST SPAM!

I love it!

You should try somthinglike this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/700213/Peerless-PA730-Universal-Articulating-Wall-Arm/

Other than that I got no more tips and I can't wait for any future updates you have :D

Yeah something quite similar to that actually. But yeah I've enjoyed it, didn't take as long as I had thought.

Also there's just one thing I hate about the desk, my cpu temps, before this began I had the cooler master evo and idle temps were 30c, now idle temps have increased to 40c. It's obviously down to the noctua cooler, smaller heat sink than the 212 evo. I guess I was just too used to it. I know it's still within its range. Another thing while I'm on the subject, the noctua cooler is designed for CPUs with a TDP of 95w or less, my 8350 I belive is 125w so no idea how that works.

Anyways enough rambling, thank you again! I may start water cooling sooner actually but I'll update the post as and when!

• 1 month later...

Sort of a semi update here, you may not have noticed but i had only one day to complete the desk, i don't like power tools and my dad was the main person doing all of this, but I'm slowly learning. Anyway, because there was a get it done in one day factor, since then I've been slowly making it better now that i know what I'm doing and i can pretty much do it myself. so my plans for this update: 

as you can see here, I've fitted a psu bracket that was pre-done, i had the last time butchered one of of the case i bought and i couldn't get a straight cut, anyway it's from Lian Li and it was £5.99 which is really good, i was expecting more. 

post-170158-0-50622000-1424855968_thumb.

now on to my next improvement.

when i needed to go inside my desk, i would have to take off my monitor, take out the cables, lift the perspex and then away i go. i was getting tired of this so, here is a before:

post-170158-0-12438400-1424856108_thumb.

And here is the improvement.

post-170158-0-88058100-1424856378_thumb.

its a two armed monitor stand, I'm hoping to replace my big 27" monitor and my small 21.5" with two pretty decent 24" ones. i chose badly with the small monitor, it was more of an impulse buy really, i wanted an extra one then when i was getting fed up of my monitor stand i realized that the small one doesn't have a VESA mount holes. i was annoyed!!

i was just about to post this and then i realized, I have a new graphics card in preparation for watercooling. i chose this R9 290 becuase one, it was on sale for £200 and its basically the reference card but with saphire's own cooler on it. so it will be easier to find a waterblock for this! Oh i also got an upgraded PSU, its now 850w not 650w.

post-170158-0-14044900-1424859031_thumb.

Another plan is the power switch i have, i do but i dont like it, so i purchased after lots of hesitation a mounting plate and two new switches. they will be going in the exact same place as where the current one is now and it'll look loads better.

post-170158-0-50347500-1424857921_thumb.

onto my future plans over the next month:

post-170158-0-97592800-1424857698_thumb.

post-170158-0-50016300-1424857772_thumb.

as you can see, i, well my dad didnt do a very good job cutting out the space for this fan, and you can't really see it when your sitting where i am now but i know it's there and it annoys me so, over the next few weeks i'm going to be replacing it, ill buy a new piece of MDF, cut it bits at a time with no rush, because it's a new piece i can just replace it when its done. ill be using the remaining black paint i have too, so you wont be able to see the PSU mount. even though it looks loads better now but still. 

Also by the summer time, it will no longer be air cooled. really excited for that!

so until then. thank you and see you soon. 

i will leave you with something that happened last night while installing the PSU bracket, i took my cables out of my ssd, didnt apply any force or anything, mounted the bracket, came to plug the SSD back in and the data cable wouldnt lock in place. took a closer look and the plastic shroud around the data pins had snapped off and was inside the data cable. I'm now living on the edge as the pins are free to move, the cable isnt locked in place. i dont have a spare drive. i don't have the funds to replace it anytime soon, Luckily I'm doing half hourly backups onto my 1TB drive of my user folder. which that drive is then backed up to my server. anyway I've emailed samsung, i have a feeling that they wont do anything about it but i wont know unless i try. here are the pictures. 

post-170158-0-48373000-1424858289_thumb.

post-170158-0-44825600-1424858322_thumb.

post-170158-0-51894000-1424858350_thumb.

Why not get a Red Harbinger 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Why not get a Red Harbinger 

Because that desk is over £1000, it'll be mass produced so won't be totally custom and personal to me and finally i have 2 same desks side by side so they wouldn't match. I had looked at that in the early stages, I wasn't looking forward to all the work that would need doing and wondered if i could get a pre built one.