Critic on my new build!

Eastwind

I am about to build a new gaming PC, not intending to OC as the cost doesn't justify the performance gain and besides, i will only be gaming, no video/graphic production, only slight photoshop and indesign. Please critic my build and comment because I want to have the best value for 1440p gaming. 

Motherboard & CPU: Gigabyte H97-D3H + i7 4790

GPU: MSI GTX970 4G Gaming

Ram: G skill 8gb 1600mhz kit or any reputable 8gb kit

PSU: SF LEADEX 650w GOLD F.M (you guys might not hear it in the state but its pretty popular here in singapore, gold standard 80+ rated)

Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE or noctua NH-D15 AIR COOLED / H60 corsair if going liquid cooled

Casing: Phanteks enthoo pro

Monitor: DELL U2515H 

If there's any area that I overkilled or lacking in, please comment! Thank you very much!!

Why so expensive CPU coolers with a locked CPU?

For a more quiet experience.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz

GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2060 OC

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero 

Storage: 1TB, 500GB, 250GB SSD's, 1TB SSHD

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

Because Singapore weather is pretty humid and hot (30 degrees room temp in any afternoons) + I will be gaming in an non airconditioned area. So I figured. 

For a more quiet experience.

Well a 212 evo can achieve silence too if it is locked and not OCed. Really a waste of money IMO.

You're in Singapore, so prices will be different, but, this is the cheapest I could come up with in USD for an editing PC. The Xeon is the same as the i7, just without integrated graphics, you will need all that storage for video editing AND gaming, plus its only $20 more. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fQGfRB In Singapore dollars this is directly 1652.28, but it would probably be around $1800 SD.

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

What I would do is change the cpu to a 4690k and z97 motherboard switch to a 212 Evo cooler and switch the graphics card to a gigabyte Gtx 970 g1

Edit: this is the build that I am getting for the holiday season

I am about to build a new gaming PC, not intending to OC as the cost doesn't justify the performance gain and besides, i will only be gaming, no video/graphic production, only slight photoshop and indesign. Please critic my build and comment because I want to have the best value for 1440p gaming. 

PSU: SF LEADEX 650w GOLD F.M (you guys might not hear it in the state but its pretty popular here in singapore, gold standard 80+ rated)

Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE or noctua NH-D15 AIR COOLED / H60 corsair if going liquid cooled

If there's any area that I overkilled or lacking in, please comment! Thank you very much!!

the build that I have posted is the standard for max gaming in 1080p and can max out mos games on 1440p

Hello,

I have received comments in an earlier post of mine regarding the cooler to use. Pretty much everyone suggested against corsair watercooler. As I am from Singapore as well, and will be gaming in a non air conditioned room, I will be going for the CM Seidon 240M. 

Regarding the PSU, how is the SF Leadex 650W, as I haven't read much about it! 

P.S. Where in SimLim are you planning to get your build?

Hello,

I have received comments in an earlier post of mine regarding the cooler to use. Pretty much everyone suggested against corsair watercooler. As I am from Singapore as well, and will be gaming in a non air conditioned room, I will be going for the CM Seidon 240M. 

Regarding the PSU, how is the SF Leadex 650W, as I haven't read much about it! 

P.S. Where in SimLim are you planning to get your build?

Superflower Leadex is an excellent power supply. The EVGA Supernova G2 is based on the same platform and also made by Superflower.

Hey sdatta

I be getting my parts from either PCTHEMES or trade-pac. I already got the psu and GPU from lazada. Crazy sales over there btw. As for the SF psu, though i haven had first hand experience but reviews are impressive to boot.

Corsair watercooling performance is decent but it takes off like a jet plane (my friend has a h100) plus the fans aren't that good. Compared to the CM NEPTON 240M.

What are everybody's opinions about OCing for gaming? I just feel the performance gain doesn't justify the cost and games are gpu dependent mostly rather than cpu, unless u are a mmo/civ player.

Bottom line: Should one OC for gaming?

U dont need such an overkill cooling for nonK chip. Im running same CPU and i max out at 64 degrees. So save money and go for evo 212.

Very lovely build, good decisions (except cooling).

OCing CPU gives only very few FPS. OCing GPU is a different story :)

My take on OCing : Do it only if u dont get 75/144fps (depending on monitor).

PS. Hope u getting an ssd with that build.

@Eastwind

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yes i be getting a samsung 840 evo 256gb, pairing it with a 1tb WD blue!

As for OCing, the cost doesn't justify the performance imo and usually only less than 5fps increase, if not none. I will be able to save a couple of hundred should i not go OC and spend that on a better monitor.

The only reason why I want a better cooling is i live in a tropical country, room temps are crazy over 30 in afternoons and i be gaming in a non-airconditioned area.

Is there any gamer oriented non OC motherboard that are worthy for my consideration?

Check the price difference between the i7-4790 and i7-4790K. In N.Am. the difference is quite small. (In fact sometimes the K is less expensive.) Which makes the K version a better buy as its base clock in 400MHz higher.

The NH-U12S is also a good cooler and has no issues with tall memory modules.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The pricing difference here of the i7 K and the non K version is about $40usd

Not much but if i were to get the K processor, means i have the get a z97 board and then a better cooling system. All these various little upgrades to support the K processor would cost me an extra $250usd.

If it brings about noticeable performance, i don't mind but if it doesn't, i would rather use that money to get myself a nice speakers/headset or a better monitor.

The pricing difference here of the i7 K and the non K version is about $40usd

Not much but if i were to get the K processor, means i have the get a z97 board and then a better cooling system. All these various little upgrades to support the K processor would cost me an extra $250usd.

If it brings about noticeable performance, i don't mind but if it doesn't, i would rather use that money to get myself a nice speakers/headset or a better monitor.

You do not need to get a z97 motherboard or non-stock cooler since you do not want to overclock. That difference is larger than it is in N.Am. where it is just US$10. So it probably is not worth it. The performance improvement might only be noticeable in cpu intensive games. I say might, because the gpu is often the limiting component.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.