15 inch vs 13 inch MacBook Pro

duckypath

Long story short, selling desktop and getting a laptop as replacement.

The only laptop that I feel can replace my desktop/be portable is the macbook. The decision I have to make is either the 13 or 15 inch. Most of the time the macbook will be used on a desk with a 24 inch monitor. The 15 has a quad core, and 16gb of ram so obviously more powerful. Uses would be browse, video (LINUS!!!), programming/compiling, gaming via steam stream.

Really looking for experiences with both that you might have had and can share. Would really appreciate it!

I'd suggest going for a Lenovo y50 instead, Macs and Gaming do not mix very well, and windows is a bit better for programming too.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Between the 2 the 15" but I wouldn't touch a macbook with a 10' pole

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

get the fifteen-inch, dual boot, and love the terrific thermals, brilliant screen and lightness.  But please, the the gt 750m model if you have any intention of gaming, or plan on investing in an eGPU setup from the get-go.  Trust me, it is a worthy buy; I own one :)

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I'd suggest going for a Lenovo y50 instead, Macs and Gaming do not mix very well, and windows is a bit better for programming too.

I rarely play games, the occasional bf4 match is really all I do. Plus, I do have access to a PC if streaming isn't good enough. (Although I have streamed before and if felt fine.)

Between the 2 the 15" but I wouldn't touch a macbook with a 10' pole

I honestly prefer macs for laptops, they are just... better. PC for desktops though.

get the fifteen-inch, dual boot, and love the terrific thermals, brilliant screen and lightness.  But please, the the gt 750m model if you have any intention of gaming, or plan on investing in an eGPU setup from the get-go.  Trust me, it is a worthy buy; I own one :)

I do not game very much, the occasional bf4 match. And streaming seems to work pretty well for me. Unfortunatly I cannot afford the extra $600 for the 750m.

as for programming that CPU is one of the best you can get in a laptop form-factor so...  also bash FTW :)

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

I have the 15 inch retina i7 with a 750m and ill tell you its crap for gaming. The mac starts thermal throttling heavy and you cant play beyond medium settings. Thats why im building a pc and selling my brand new late 2013 one after i build my pc. This computer was the $2700 model and has Microsoft office 2010 for mac, 3 year lojack subscription, and 3 year extended apple care warranty. Im probably going to sell it for around $1,500 come that time. If you want to game on a mac your best bet is to get an external GPU for your external display but I will say for everything but gaming this thing is amazing. But in the Mac's defense though the display is 2880x1800 which is why its so hard for the 750m to drive games.

I have the 15 inch retina i7 with a 750m and ill tell you its crap for gaming. The mac starts thermal throttling heavy and you cant play beyond medium settings. Thats why im building a pc and selling my brand new late 2013 one after i build my pc. This computer was the $2700 model and has Microsoft office 2010 for mac, 3 year lojack subscription, and 3 year extended apple care warranty. Im probably going to sell it for around $1,500 come that time.

dude he said he wasn't a serious gamer already...  Anyway eGPU bro: http://linustechtips.com/main/user/88470-firearm2112/  Also I don't know whats up with your rig... mine never throttles 

as for programming that CPU is one of the best you can get in a laptop form-factor so...  also bash FTW :)

That is what I have heard about the CPU, which is why I am considering the 15inch, for the quad core i7.

If possible, try them out in store or at the Apple store. I'd go for the 13 cause it's cheaper and lighter lol.

I did try them out, I have actually owned a 13 inch before returning due to money issues. I am really interested in peples experiance wih the 15 inch, and if it is too big for a portable mahcine.

I have the 15 inch retina i7 with a 750m and ill tell you its crap for gaming. The mac starts thermal throttling heavy and you cant play beyond medium settings. Thats why im building a pc and selling my brand new late 2013 one after i build my pc. This computer was the $2700 model and has Microsoft office 2010 for mac, 3 year lojack subscription, and 3 year extended apple care warranty. Im probably going to sell it for around $1,500 come that time. If you want to game on a mac your best bet is to get an external GPU for your external display but I will say for everything but gaming this thing is amazing.

Eh, most mobile GPUs are (except the new 9xx ones). And honestly, gaming is probably the lowest priority for this machine.

BTW, what do you guys think about B&H for a macbook purchase. They have a really good deal on the 15 inch late 2014 model, and there is no tax to ship in WA. Does B&H have a good return/refund policy?

I know that if I bought from apple, I could return within 14 days if I didn't like it, what about B&H?

That is what I have heard about the CPU, which is why I am considering the 15inch, for the quad core i7.

I did try them out, I have actually owned a 13 inch before returning due to money issues. I am really interested in peples experiance wih the 15 inch, and if it is too big for a portable mahcine.

Eh, most mobile GPUs are (except the new 9xx ones). And honestly, gaming is probably the lowest priority for this machine.

The 15 inch one isnt that big i carry it in a pretty small but highly padded computer bag and it only weighs 3-4 pounds. It does have the best battery life ive seen in a laptop though i average around 7.5 hours on a charge as long as im not watching a crap ton of videos. Other than the lack of gaming my only gripe with this thing is it gets dirty way to easy if your hands arent 100% clean when you touch it the oils on your skin put the dirt onto the computer and it takes windex to get it off. And will become dirty after 1-2 days, I clean mine daily because of this.

The 15 inch one isnt that big i carry it in a pretty small but highly padded computer bag and it only weighs 3-4 pounds. It does have the best battery life ive seen in a laptop though i average around 7.5 hours on a charge as long as im not watching a crap ton of videos. Other than the lack of gaming my only gripe with this thing is it gets dirty way to easy if your hands arent 100% clean when you touch it the oils on your skin put the dirt onto the computer and it takes windex to get it off. And will become dirty after 1-2 days, I clean mine daily because of this.

Good to know, I play to get dbrand skin for it.

Good to know, I play to get dbrand skin for it.

If you get a skin do not get one that covers the keyboard because that is also part of its exhaust because these things get really hot. If you dont download third part fan control software it will always have temps around 90 degrees celsius. I downloaded an app called Smfancontrol to ramp the fans from their stock 900rpm to a constant 2600rpm to keep temps around 50 degrees under load yes it is still quiet. You also have to be careful because there are small slits in the sides for intake and the big 1/2 gap in the back is also exhaust.

If you get a skin do not get one that covers the keyboard because that is also part of its exhaust because these things get really hot. If you dont download third part fan control software it will always have temps around 90 degrees celsius. I downloaded an app called Smfancontrol to ramp the fans from their stock 900rpm to a constant 2600rpm to keep temps around 50 degrees under load yes it is still quiet. You also have to be careful because there are small slits in the sides for intake and the big 1/2 gap in the back is also exhaust.

dbrand is for top cover, bottom and trackpad. Keyboard will be open for airflow.

dbrand is for top cover, bottom and trackpad. Keyboard will be open for airflow.

Thats not bad then i personally dont trust those covers especially on something that costs $2700 new. Thats why i will be selling mine for around $1,500 come march because it will only be about 8 months old(manufactured in June)  with less than 100 battery cycles on it. Right now im setting at 49 cycles and ive had it since August. And it'll come with about $700 in extras.

Thats not bad then i personally dont trust those covers especially on something that costs $2700 new. Thats why i will be selling mine for around $1,500 come march because it will only be about 8 months old(manufactured in June) with less than 100 battery cycles on it. Right now im setting at 49 cycles and ive had it since August. And it'll come with about $700 in extras.

Yeah, I'm leaving for basic in March so couldn't buy it myself. But thanks and good luck!

Yeah, I'm leaving for basic in March so couldn't buy it myself. But thanks and good luck!

No problem hopefully youll find one for a good price i know people are raping people on ebay for these things used because of how much they run new. Thats why i figured on the price im going with is because all of the ones ive seen of the late 2013 or 2014 models are going for $2,000 plus. Unless its a crap shelf model from Best Buy or Circuit City.

While I don't really like Macs/Apple/laptops in general, if you gave me $3,100 for any laptop, I'd buy the maxed-out 15" Macbook Pro.

It has a quad core processor vs. dual on the 13", Iris Pro/GT 750m vs. regular Iris on the 13", moar pixlz than the 13" (albeit with a loss of 6ppi), great battery life, great build quality and can easily replace your desktop.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I honestly prefer macs for laptops, they are just... better. PC for desktops though.

I feel exactly the same. I would go for the base 15" so you'll be fine spec wise for years down the road. The Iris Pro is about as good as the GT650m but you definitely won't be able to play BF4.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

Since you are doing compiling and stuff, I'd recommend the 15inch model. The Iris Pro is enough for most things you do. 

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

The newest 15" models are really very nice. If I wasn't content with my current one I'd buy a brand new one in a heartbeat. Even the Iris Pro is serviceable for what most people do. And for the record, for the games I do play, even this 6770m can throw CSGO up on my 1440p monitor at 60fps and the Iris Pro is markedly more powerful than this. 

Because you seem to actually need some power definitely don't consider the 13". The 15 is very portable and you'll be thankful you have the quad core and the extra screen real-estate.