Mini-News: Windows 10 Has The Most Testers By Considerable Margins Over Previous Previews.

GoodBytes

Microsoft shares a bit of some numbers related to Windows 10 users.

According to Microsoft blog, the Windows team has fixed almost 1300 bugs that were reported so far thanks to user feedback. And that Windows 10 has considerably more testers than any previous public beta versions of Windows.

In fact, they are over 1.5 million registered Windows Insiders as of today, where about 450,000 of them Microsoft considers: highly active users of the OS.

Microsoft has been very hard at work putting together a new build that includes a lot of new features and improvements. In a blog post made today, Gabe Aul has announced that there are over 1.5 million registered Windows Insiders today of which about 450,000 of them are considered "highly active".

Neowin reports.

Preview-Usage-History.png

It’s terrific for us to see this, because that hardcore usage will help us fix all the rough edges and bugs. The reports you send us, both from automated things like crash logs and manually via the Windows Feedback app, are helping us shape the product. My favorite recent example of the latter is a bug that would have been really tricky to catch with test automation or by other means: In certain circumstances (very rare) the OneDrive icon in File Explorer can be replaced by the Outlook icon! That’s the kind of fit and finish bug that real usage at scale by Windows Insiders helps us find and fix.

- Gabe Aul

Microsoft shares the following graph:

WIP-Bug-State.png

In addition, Microsoft reports that thanks to user feedback, they have fix numerous BSODs discovered in Windows 10 by users.

WindowsInsiderKernelModeCrashesByVolume.

WindowsInsiderUserModeCrashesByVolume.pn

Microsoft also mentions that they are working hard to provide an awesome build for January. Microsoft will do an event January 21st, and it expected that Microsoft will show this build, which Microsoft was previously found to say that there will be a bit for everyone.

Source 1: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-tech-preview-1300-bugs-fixed-15-million-registered-insiders

Source 2: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/12/17/december-update-on-the-windows-insider-program/

I think it;s because Win10 preview was so available and easy to test for the publc compared to previous ones

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Not suprising, since it's likely the most publicized Windows beta.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Not suprising, since it's likely the most publicized Windows beta.

Most likely this... Also means it SHOULD have fewer issues at launch than 8 and 8.1. Not saying it will though.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Its become my daily driver.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

That's fantastic! Hopefully we can have a near perfect OS by the time it's released. Thanks for the info @GoodBytes. :) B)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

This looks like its going to be an awesome version of Windows :D cant wait!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well, because more people care about the new OS. For example, they want to share their ideas to make the OS likeable. Which I think is good.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

probably because if they dont get this shit right the first fucking time, they can shut their doors and piss off.

Ok Why don't you do better. You make an operating system that will work with the billions of possible configurations of system, and you have the handle the piss poor made drivers and software that some companies do, and not to mention please everyone. Good luck.

Ok Why don't you do better. You make an operating system that will work with the billions of possible configurations of system, and you have the handle the piss poor made drivers and software that some companies do, and not to mention please everyone. Good luck.

i'm not saying its easy, but 8 wasnt a very well adopted OS. if 10 takes that same course, then they are going to be seriously hurting

Random question: did they confirm or deny that win 10 could be subscription based??

No. All we know if that Microsoft it considering it, but nothing on that decision.

Keep in mind that subscription based would be an option (as when you buy a computer, Windows is included, you won't have to pay per year after). My guess is retail will be subscription based, and OEM/System Builder will be pay in full, if they go with this model.

No. All we know if that Microsoft it considering it, but nothing on that decision.

Keep in mind that subscription based would be an option (as when you buy a computer, Windows is included, you won't have to pay per year after). My guess is retail will be subscription based, and OEM/System Builder will be pay in full, if they go with this model.

I hope its not sub based id rather just pay my $100 upfront and be done with it. If it is sub based I will never touch windows 10.

I hope its not sub based id rather just pay my $100 upfront and be done with it. If it is sub based I will never touch windows 10.

if its sub based i am gonna remove windows altogether and go to linux. games lately have been shit anyway, i dont use the adobe suite, and already use libreoffice over ms office.

No. All we know if that Microsoft it considering it, but nothing on that decision.Keep in mind that subscription based would be an option (as when you buy a computer, Windows is included, you won't have to pay per year after). My guess is retail will be subscription based, and OEM/System Builder will be pay in full, if they go with this model.

I have a feeling I'm misunderstood the whole subscription thing, I though it would be like how games do it, meaning on the long run it would be damn expensive depending on the monthly price.

Hmm guess time will tell what's there plan.

if its sub based i am gonna remove windows altogether and go to linux. games lately have been shit anyway, i dont use the adobe suite, and already use libreoffice over ms office.

I'll just stick with my 5 keys of 8.1 pro, 8 pro, 7 pro, vista pro, and xp pro that i got for free until steam os goes full release.

I have a feeling I'm misunderstood the whole subscription thing, I though it would be like how games do it, meaning on the long run it would be damn expensive depending on the monthly price.

Hmm guess time will tell what's there plan.

Many people here don't understand it, but they are many benefits from subscription.

As Linus and Slick said, it's great if you upgrade your system often, or change systems often as the license is tied to you, and not the system.

In addition, if it's like anything like Office, it's not 1 license, but you get several licenses. If you plan to upgrade to the new version of Windows after 10 is out (say: Windows 11), then you can upgrade easily. Already, with Office 365 subscription, you can use Office 2010, or even 2007, you don't have to be stuck with 2013.

So Windows 8 is ~120$ retail box. Imagine for 50$ a year, you have licenses for 3-5 PCs. That is cheap. You pay a bit more than 1 license at the end (after 3 years total), but you can do several computers, much like Office 365. It's for 5 PCs/Macs and also 5 devices. So not too bad.

And if you want 1 license, just get the the OEM license and you are done. Pay the 99$, and you are good to go for life.

So both needs are meant.

should be very stable and well performing on release then :) Im cool with that.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Many people here don't understand it, but they are many benefits from subscription.

As Linus and Slick said, it's great if you upgrade your system often, or change systems often as the license is tied to you, and not the system.

In addition, if it's like anything like Office, it's not 1 license, but you get several licenses. If you plan to upgrade to the new version of Windows after 10 is out (say: Windows 11), then you can upgrade easily. Already, with Office 365 subscription, you can use Office 2010, or even 2007, you don't have to be stuck with 2013.

So Windows 8 is ~120$ retail box. Imagine for 50$ a year, you have licenses for 3-5 PCs. That is cheap. You pay a bit more than 1 license at the end (after 3 years total), but you can do several computers, much like Office 365. It's for 5 PCs/Macs and also 5 devices. So not too bad.

And if you want 1 license, just get the the OEM license and you are done. Pay the 99$, and you are good to go for life.

So both needs are meant.

Ah that does make sense and it's not that bad, I'll wait and se how it turns out and if upgrade to new OS is free if I subscribe then I could deal with it...maybe. depends on the price ofc.

Thanks GB.

I downloaded Windows 10, but haven't installed it yet due to laziness. I plan to do a VM of it soon to play around but I'm really enjoying W8.1 with Classic Shell.

Also I fully understand a subscription based Windows, however I don't want it and just like Linus has said(I believe) that both options would be best. If I had a family then I'd love to do the subscription model, but I have one PC and would rather do the ~$100 upfront.

Hopefully Windows 10 is worth upgrading to over 8.1, if not then I hope Windows 10.1 will fix that :D

Really like the direction that the company has been heading towards, since Satya has taken the top job.

It seems like MS is actually making more of an effort with Windows 10 over previous betas? More the merrier. I think we'll see a lot of users transitioning directly from 7 to 10 - I hope they make this upgrade path an ease. I have been using 8.1 on a production system for a while now and switching back to one of the other rigs running 7 feels dated. I wonder what else they have in stall for us!

Any mention/rumours of when this will go RTM?

Will I'm using it as my main OS and I really like giving them feedback and interacting with them, I think easy it being easy to download it and interacting with MS makes it one of the most popular preview.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Damn 1300 bugs. Well they have couple of months before they show it at CES or w/e event is coming up and then rest of the year for perfection (it better be perfect with so much feedback)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Damn 1300 bugs. Well they have couple of months before they show it at CES or w/e event is coming up and then rest of the year for perfection (it better be perfect with so much feedback)

Soft Developer lesson: The more complicated your software is, the more the fact that it will always have bugs holds true, as it becomes less and less possible to try all possibilities of actions, including repeated action before executing something else (say: you save 5 times in a row, and click on update while it saves on the 5th time, and click on check update right-after, the program crashes, as an example of possible combinations)