HDMI + 144hz monitors

tuunade98

I'm thinking about buying a 144hz monitor as im a pretty big gamer, i like to play a lot of games and sometiems even competitively (counter strike global offensive). My biggest concern about 144hz monitors is HDMI, I MUST use hdmi, as I'm using a receiver for sound. My questions is what is the maximum refresh rate hdmi can handle at 1080p with a 144hz monitor? I've got a gigabyte windforce r9 290 graphics card, and my receiever is a yamaha HTR-6063.

HDMI can only go to 60hz. Use a displayport to the monitor and a separate 3.5mm audio out from your motherboard to your receiver. The audio is an analog signal so even if your receiver has component input, there's a cable for that and it works perfectly fine.

3.5mm out? my motherboard is an ASUS m5a99fx pro r2.0 motherboard. Are you talking about like a optical out cable? SPDIF?

Your motherboard should have analog outs for full surround sound. They'll be a collection of 4 3.5mm headphone jack style outputs. It'll be more cables, but it'll work. Optical might work too, but that's not something I've used. You most likely want to use your motherboard's sound, not the sound being sent from your GPU, which you'll have to pull from your monitor. It's usually unwise to have a receiver in between your monitor and your GPU, as it may introduce display lag that's entirely avoidable.

I think i know what you mean. Is it going to be abit more complicated than jus buying the cables, connecting each one to say the receiver and into motherboard? 

HDMI can actually go up to 120Hz at least (I haven't tried with 144Hz since I don't have a monitor on hand).  It's not part of the HDMI spec so it doesn't show up in Windows by itself, you need to set a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel or use ToastyX's Custom Resolution Utility if you have an AMD card.  I don't know if 144Hz will work but HDMI can do at least 120, that one I've done personally.

Both your Video Card and the monitor has to be able to support the new HDMI version that can handle higher MHz.  There aren't that many vid cards out there that have the new version out there.

Do yourself a favour and get the display port or you can even go DVI-D if you want the full 144Mhz.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

hmm.. I got a r9 290, if im not even running my games at 144fps, are there any benefits at all with a 144hz monitor?