Interesting test with fans blowing onto GPU

Spev

So right now I have a lot of Noctuas in my rig. I am able to mount 120mm fans to my hard drive cages so I mounted 2 NF-F12s to them blowing towards the back of the case and onto the GPU. I thought I would try this to see if it would lower GPU temps with a fan blowing right on it. They were running at an average speed like 700RPM or something but the temps didn't change. I thought this was interesting because I expected them to. My temps were literally exactly the same not even a 1c difference than without fans blowing on it. Thoughts on to why? Anyways I just thought I would share this. I thought I would post a pic so you could visualize what I'm talking about.

P.S. I will probably replace these later (once I decide on a new CPU cooler) with something with a color scheme and with some interior lighting.

post-155082-0-43327700-1418857847_thumb.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

So right now I have a lot of Noctuas in my rig. I am able to mount 120mm fans to my hard drive cages so I mounted 2 NF-F12s to them blowing towards the back of the case and onto the GPU. I thought I would try this to see if it would lower GPU temps with a fan blowing right on it. They were running at an average speed like 700RPM or something but the temps didn't change. I thought this was interesting because I expected them to. My temps were literally exactly the same not even a 1c difference than without fans blowing on it. Thoughts on to why? Anyways I just thought I would share this. I thought I would post a pic so you could visualize what I'm talking about.

P.S. I will probably replace these later (once I decide on a new CPU cooler) with something with a color scheme and with some interior lighting.

attachicon.gifnoctua pic.jpg

thatsprobably because the air has no where to go. try to remove the pci brackets to create a place for the air to go. I went from 2 intakes and one exaust, to 4 intakes and 3 exausts, made little diffrence. did it mostly for athestics .

slapped in a pci fan to draw air out the back of the case, under load its 4*C cooler. most likely because it has a place for the air to go

Did you measure the temps under load to see any difference?

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

Did you measure the temps under load to see any difference?

Yes under load they were 72c during benchmark with and without the fans.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I noticed all the same things with my older noctuas, but at higher speeds it made quite a difference. That and youre using an open air cooler.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Oh, also, just curious, did you have to ghetto mount those fans on the hard drive cage, or did the screws fit in perfectly or something? O.o

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

Oh, also, just curious, did you have to ghetto mount those fans on the hard drive cage, or did the screws fit in perfectly or something? O.o

Screws fit in perfectly. Both cages are intentionally meant to mount 120mm fans if you want to, it's intended to be that way.

I get a good few C lower with a side fan blowing directly onto my gpu in my nzxt 410, though the side door is flimsy so it vibrates it which means I dont use a side fan. Oh well, few more days and I get a new case :D

A side fan usually doesn't do anything but mess up your air flow, unless you have a very restricted case with really bad cable routing or sli having a case Fan usually is a waste of time

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

This is because those types of fan mounts are usually not that well placed. 

Something like this would be better: 

8e54e46601eaa5c576210e200160086b.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

This is because those types of fan mounts are usually not that well placed. 

Something like this would be better: 

8e54e46601eaa5c576210e200160086b.png

Yeah there is no option for me to do that though.

Also, I thought that would not be good because the fans on the GPU are blowing air away and you are blowing it right back at it? Seems counterproductive or like they are working against themselves.

Yeah there is no option for me to do that though.

Also, I thought that would not be good because the fans on the GPU are blowing air away and you are blowing it right back at it? Seems counterproductive or like they are working against themselves.

The graphics card cooler exhausts air out the back and out the sides--I don't see how the fans would push hot air back at it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The graphics card cooler exhausts air out the back and out the sides--I don't see how the fans would push hot air back at it.

Hmm guess I'm stupid. I always thought that the fans blew air below the GPU LOL. So it blows them out the side? I always thought of them just like a Noctua fan, one side intake other side out take, so I figure that the air from the GPU was being pushed down to the bottom of the case. Also this GPU doesn't exhaust out the back I don't think.

Hmm guess I'm stupid. I always thought that the fans blew air below the GPU LOL. So it blows them out the side? I always thought of them just like a Noctua fan, one side intake other side out take, so I figure that the air from the GPU was being pushed down to the bottom of the case. Also this GPU doesn't exhaust out the back I don't think.

There are vents at the back of the card. 

Does this help?

b6a6c4c4dcf4459d5f96580b57da1e69.png

There are vents at the back of the card. 

Does this help?

b6a6c4c4dcf4459d5f96580b57da1e69.png

Yeah just one more question I always assumed that it blew air away from the GPU, so the fans intake the air and it gets pushed out the back?

Yeah just one more question I always assumed that it blew air away from the GPU, so the fans intake the air and it gets pushed out the back?

Out the sides and a bit out the back. For future reference: the hub of the fan is usually the side for intake. 

Out the sides and a bit out the back. For future reference: the hub of the fan is usually the side for intake.

Almost always. Few exeptions- one tgermaltake cooler, fan in iMac g4, and a few others

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."