Is this psu capable of running a gtx 970?

ben 9902

500W is just enough. 

But that is not a quality product at all. I would suggest another PSU.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

w/ a 970 you're fine, they're not power hogs like the previous models

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

seems so but what are the specs of the rest of your build that would really be what determines it since a 970 only uses 145 watts the rest of your system would be limited to 355 watts of total usage so if you can please post your specs so that someone can tell you for sure.

seems so but what are the specs of the rest of your build that would really be what determines it since a 970 only uses 145 watts the rest of your system would be limited to 355 watts of total usage so if you can please post your specs so that someone can tell you for sure.

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k

CPU cooler : Arctic Cooling Freezing 7 Pro Rev 2

GPU : Gigabyte GTX 660

Mobo : Asus p8z77-v LX

honestly just buy a corsair cx 500m or a evga 500w 80+ bronze. They both use seasonic PCB's and really high quality parts. 

i would think your good then as long as you dont do any extreme overclocking. Is this a current build and your just looking to upgrade or are you looking to purchase this psu?

honestly just buy a corsair cx 500m or a evga 500w 80+ bronze. They both use seasonic PCB's and really high quality parts.

I will when I get the money it's just I'm getting the 970 for Christmas and just wondered if it could handle it for now

Yes, but it may be close. I would say if you have bought it yet. You should get an EVGA, Corsair of Sesonic 80+ Bronze or higher, with 550+ Watts. 

i would think your good then as long as you dont do any extreme overclocking

Yeah I'm not looking to oc, so I'll be ok?

Yes, but it may be close. I would say if you should get an EVGA, Corsair of Sesonic 80+ Bronze or higher, with 550+ Watts.

I will soon

Definitely get a different 500w PSU.

I would suggest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139050&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It's semi-modular and is 80+ Bronze certified.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

^ Not that. Thoes are real bad. I had two and they were loud and  had terrible whining sound. 

Oh, I didn't know that.

Then I retract my recommendation.  I've had good experiences with Corsair PSUs before so I just assumed.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Oh, I didn't know that.

Then I retract my recommendation.  I've had good experiences with Corsair PSUs before so I just assumed.

You have to get the pretty expsensive ones before they are any good. I have an Ax860i and it is good. 

Just go with a EVGA 750w G2 they are only $89.99 right now and will give you plenty of headroom for anything you want to do in the future. It is just as good as most of those $150+ psu's out there.

EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR

You're actually mistaken. All but one model of the Corsair CX line is manufactured by Channel Well Technology. The one model that isn't is a Seasonic, but it's discontinued.  The EVGA one you mention is made by HEC.

@ben 9902, I don't know where you live, but in the US, some of the old XFX PSUs have had really good deals as of late. Their entire line-up is made of rebranded Seasonic PSUs, and there will be a sale on Newegg later tonight. Price TBA.  I got one of their TS 550 in June for $26 for another build I did.

And make sure you plug you GPU and CPU+Mobo on separate rails.  Your current Xigamatek PSU only has 20A on each of it's 2 12V rails.  A 970 will want ~12A at stock speed. If you plug it all in to the same rail, you may run into problems.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

You'll be fine, that GTX 660 uses more power than the GTX 970 and also I was running a GTX 780 on a 550w PSU and it was fine.

For the brand I would look around mate, look into Seasonic, XFX or Corsair. Something like that.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate