Best headphones for a major audiophile and gamer?

ThatFatMan1911

So I've done some searching and narrowed it down to these headphones that I have linked below and I am wondering which one is the best option for a major audiophile and gamer like me? If you have any of these, or recommend something else, please share with me your thoughts below.

Headphones:

Bowers & Wilkins P7: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/Headphones/P7.html

Sennheiser HD 600 http://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600

Audio-Technica ATH-A900x http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/e447e8b9e20fd636/index.html

Beyerdynamic T 70 http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/t-70-p-select-option.html

Also, if it's possible, can someone tell me where the Audio-Technica and Bowers & Wilkins headphones are made? I know that the Sennheiser's are made in Ireland and the Beyerdynamic's are made in Germany...

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Do you have a preference between open-back and closed-back headphones?

beyer's

Do they ever throw them on sale?

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Do you have a preference between open-back and closed-back headphones?

Well about 95% of the time I wear headphones, it's for home use only. So either one is good.

rarely. 

What does it mean when it asks for headphone impedance? 

What does it mean when it asks for headphone impedance? 

the impedance of a headphone is the measured in ohms and is essentially its resistance electrically. higher ohm headphones require more power to achieve the same volume. anything up to 62 ohms can be powered by onboard audio mostly while anything higher requires an amp to plug the headphone into

Also, if it's possible, can someone tell me where the Audio-Technica and Bowers & Wilkins headphones are made? I know that the Sennheiser's are made in Ireland and the Beyerdynamic's are made in Germany...

Just like Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, AT's lower end gear is made in China/Taiwan/Korea. They design everything in Japan and produce/assemble higher end gear there, but I'm not sure where that line is drawn. 

the impedance of a headphone is the measured in ohms and is essentially its resistance electrically. higher ohm headphones require more power to achieve the same volume. anything up to 62 ohms can be powered by onboard audio mostly while anything higher requires an amp to plug the headphone into

1. More ohms means you need more voltage to reach the same volume. Power requirements are determined by sensitivity/efficiency ratings.

2. Onboard is not limited to 62 ohm headphones. 63 ohm, 100 ohm, 300 ohm, doesn't matter. Look at the sensitivity rating instead. A 300 ohm Sennheiser will usually be good off onboard, a 62 ohm AKG will usually require an amp.

Just like Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, AT's lower end gear is made in China/Taiwan/Korea. They design everything in Japan and produce/assemble higher end gear there, but I'm not sure where that line is drawn. 

From what I read the T 70's are made in Germany...and pretty much everything I've seen that comes from Germany is pretty damn good. But anyway, I'm now leaning towards the Beyerdynamic's now...I just wish they would do a price drop to $300

From what I read the T 70's are made in Germany...and pretty much everything I've seen that comes from Germany is pretty damn good. But anyway, I'm now leaning towards the Beyerdynamic's now...I just wish they would do a price drop to $300

Everything from the DT series and up (T series is the up) should be made in Germany. However, from my personal experience I'd suggest away from the higher end Beyerdynamics as they sound pretty similar to the lower end offerings. 

What have you owned/tried so far?

Also, I forgot to say, B&W is an English company. Again, unsure if their headphones are produced in England.

500-900x are made in China, 1000x and above are made in Japan.  I would show you the box of my 1000x but I discarded it in Japan.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Everything from the DT series and up (T series is the up) should be made in Germany. However, from my personal experience I'd suggest away from the higher end Beyerdynamics as they sound pretty similar to the lower end offerings. 

What have you owned/tried so far?

Also, I forgot to say, B&W is an English company. Again, unsure if their headphones are produced in England.

I haven't owned or tried anything except for these Bose QC15's I'm using now. I think they are starting to die and I'm looking into some new headphones. If you had to pick a pair of headphones from Beyer and Sennheiser what would they be? Those two companies seem to have the highest quality headphones from what I've heard.

I haven't owned or tried anything except for these Bose QC15's I'm using now. I think they are starting to die and I'm looking into some new headphones. If you had to pick a pair of headphones from Beyer and Sennheiser what would they be? Those two companies seem to have the highest quality headphones from what I've heard.

Personally I can't stand the treble spike Beyerdynamic puts on their headphones, and I love the Sennheiser warmth, but there's plenty of people who prefer the opposite and who knows which you are. Sennheisers will be closer sounding to the Bose, if that means anything.

Personally I can't stand the treble spike Beyerdynamic puts on their headphones, and I love the Sennheiser warmth, but there's plenty of people who prefer the opposite and who knows which you are. Sennheisers will be closer sounding to the Bose, if that means anything.

So if I'm a guy that primarily likes classic rock, which brand would be more ideal?

There's no perfect headphone since people like different things. For me, the Fostex TH600 comes the closest from what I've tried. It has less isolation than I would like though.

Definitely not, my Sennheiser HD800's have an impedance ranging from 300 to 600 ohms, and they worked perfectly fine off my onboard and got uncomfortably loud.

The most important factor in driving headphones isn't impedance, it's sensitivity/efficiency (how loud it gets off 1 volt, or 1 milliwatt) 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

pWGSEUnl.jpg

Just to be subjective, here's the FR chart.

T70 will more likely to have a fuller bass extension, although it seems the overall sound signature is U-shaped. Beyer is very popular of its treble and at times they can sound very bright, making them fatiguing.

With HD600, it's very hard to go wrong with them. Nothing about them is the best in it's class but they sound warm and laid-back, which makes HD600 a very likeable headphone and easy for a long-term listening.

I've tried HD600 and i really do like the sound, many say you'll need a good amp to get the best out of it though

Definitely not, my Sennheiser HD800's have an impedance ranging from 300 to 600 ohms, and they worked perfectly fine off my onboard and got uncomfortably loud.

The most important factor in driving headphones isn't impedance, it's sensitivity/efficiency (how loud it gets off 1 volt, or 1 milliwatt

and that value relies on impedance to be calculated

and that value relies on impedance to be calculated

Pretty sure it doesn't. Impedance doesn't come to play until after sensitivity is calculated, so I'm told. 

Pretty sure it doesn't. Impedance doesn't come to play until after sensitivity is calculated, so I'm told. 

there sort of jumbled together. if you want to calculate the decibels per voltage you need the impedance. not a hundred percent on decibels per watt though. the higher the impedance of a head phone requires  an increase in voltage to achieve the same decibel level as a lower impedance headphone.

this is why alot of amps have options to change the voltage and there own volume knob, 

there sort of jumbled together. if you want to calculate the decibels per voltage you need the impedance. not a hundred percent on decibels per watt though. the higher the impedance of a head phone requires either an increase in voltage or an increase in current to achieve the same decibel level as a lower impedance headphone.

this is why alot of amps have options to change the voltage and there own volume knob,

Sensitivity is based on power and not voltage so no. Impedance is not a factor.

Sensitivity is based on power and not voltage so no. Impedance is not a factor.

There's also efficiency which is based on voltage, different manufacturers calculate the sensitivity difference, some use db/volt some use db/mw.

Impedance is only taken into account for the voltage one I believe.

Either way, impedance is only like 25% of the equation IMO.  Many high impedance headphones are very sensitive and don't require much umph at all to get very loud, and many low impedance headphones require loads of power to get to the same volume.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There's also efficiency which is based on voltage, different manufacturers calculate the sensitivity difference, some use db/volt some use db/mw.

Impedance is only taken into account for the voltage one I believe.

Either way, impedance is only like 25% of the equation IMO.  Many high impedance headphones are very sensitive and don't require much umph at all to get very loud, and many low impedance headphones require loads of power to get to the same volume.

that is true, however the impedance of the headphone also effects the effective output voltage going to the headphones and the impedance also changes with the frequency, with alot of high impedance headphones an amp is required to ensure that the lows and highs are being reproduced at the intended volume and don't get cut off or saturated.