Why is my internet so slow?

Juckil

I'll cut straight to the chase. My internet download speed on my computer connected with wires to the internet is 4MB/s, whereas my other wireless PC is only 200KB/s! This is only in the next room over :(

I was wondering whether it was bad hardware so I ventured into the control panel and looked for networky things so I could show you experts and ask for help :) Cheers.

pjH5VCM.png

Should there be 2 network adapters? Do I just have really s***y hardware? 

What router do you have

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

/

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Use ethernet, not wifi.

Problem solved :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Wow that was so quick!

The name of the wifi I am connected to is BTHub3-T5T2, and on the router it says BT Hub 3.

Ethernet is that squarish white cable that connects into the router right? I can't exactly do that, is there a way of plugging it into a plug in the wall?

EDIT: Update, I am now getting 50KB/s on Steam :(

Also, is it possible to get the 4MB/s I'm getting on the wired PC wirelessly on another?

the problem is due to some noise on an adjacent channel on the 2.4GHz band which is most likely he band on your wifi works.

try changing the channel on which your router transmits to 1, 6 or 11 so it doesn't overlap

just for the record, you will never get the same speed you get via ethernet via wifi

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

Your router is pretty shitty.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Wow that was so quick!

The name of the wifi I am connected to is BTHub3-T5T2, and on the router it says BT Hub 3.

Ethernet is that squarish white cable that connects into the router right? I can't exactly do that, is there a way of plugging it into a plug in the wall?

EDIT: Update, I am now getting 50KB/s on Steam :(

Also, is it possible to get the 4MB/s I'm getting on the wired PC wirelessly on another?

1) Make sure you're connecting to the right router.

2) Yes, RJ-45 is the squarish cable. It is any colour you can paint cables.

You may be able to route cables, but it depends on your house's cabling layout and stuff.

An alternative you might be interested in is HomePlug Ethernet, which uses the electrical wires in your house.

Sig under construction.

the problem is due to some noise on an adjacent channel on the 2.4GHz band which is most likely he band on your wifi works.

try changing the channel on which your router transmits to 1, 6 or 11 so it doesn't overlap

just for the record, you will never get the same speed you get via ethernet via wifi

The HomeHub's WiFi limits itself at either 40mbps or 80mbps overall throughput, depending on if it's model A or model B.

So it's possible to get all the throughput, as long as the QoS settings aren't messed up (if there are any).

Sig under construction.

Powerline adapters.

"Rawr XD"

How do I do that?

1) Make sure you're connecting to the right router.

2) Yes, RJ-45 is the squarish cable. It is any colour you can paint cables.

You may be able to route cables, but it depends on your house's cabling layout and stuff.

An alternative you might be interested in is HomePlug Ethernet, which uses the electrical wires in your house.

I'm fairly sure I'm connecting to the right router, it asked for a password and the one on the underside of it worked.

Also, what is this HomePlug Ethernet?

Powerline adapters.

Not the greatest idea for having a house with old wiring.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

You could be like me and be far away from the internet supplier.

Ever think of that?

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

How do I do that?

you have to go into your router configuration, normaly you have to go to 192.168.1.1 but it may vary depending on your configuration, then look for wireless configuration or something similar, it's different on every router. you should find an option to change channels. you may have to try a couple of channels.

From above:

For a HomeHub3, it should be 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home

Sig under construction.

you have to go into your router configuration, normaly you have to go to 192.168.1.1 but it may vary depending on your configuration, then look for wireless configuration or something similar, it's different on every router. you should find an option to change channels. you may have to try a couple of channels.

I did a bit of research on this and downloaded an app called WiFi Analyzer which is recommended as it shows other local connections and what channels they are on. What's strange though is that when I changed channels another one called 'BTWiFi-with-FON' followed me to the same channel. What's that about?

Anyway after fiddling around with that it is still no better, and has gone down to 100KB/s now :(

I tested on my sister's laptop and tablet and they both are around 2MB/s when wirelessly downloading things, so why is my computer so slow? One last thing, are these ethernet-into-plug-in-the-wall-thingies rather good?

the wifi analyzer app will show the other wifi networks, however, there are other things that can cause interfierences, like wireless keyboards, check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr0AfBO1O20

i had this problem with the wireless xbox controller for pc that whenever i conected it, my wifi network would just go down, there's another possible problem

I don't have any wireless keyboards/mice, so it can't be that. Perhaps it's not an issue with interference and maybe is something else. If so, does anyone know what solutions there are?

Get a powerline adapter, they're amazing. A powerline adapter basically uses your home's circuitry as an Ethernet cable and it's much better than wifi. Plus you don't have to have an ethernet cable running across your house. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418861675&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+adapter http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418861675&sr=8-3&keywords=powerline+adapter .