Nexus 5 Camera glass smashed - Focus not working

Go to solution Solved by IkS-10,

Just to update anyone that comes across this in the future: Camera glass changed and focusing issue resolved!

I bought the motherboard securing plate (linked above) and replaced it in my phone. The process was simple enough. The glass must've been preventing the camera from focusing as I used a compressed air can to clear any small particles from the lens, replaced the lens cover (attached to motherboard plate) and now my camera is as good as new.

Thanks

My nexus 5 was in my pocket and I must've hit the corner of a table perfectly at some point during the day because when I took my phone out I noticed the glass covering the camera was completely smashed. I turned on the camera and the image looked foggy. Some of the glass broke off in the centre to give the camera a clear view so the camera itself seems to be working fine now except that it doesn't autofocus. I also can't tap to focus. When I tap, it just adjusts the exposure but doesn't focus. The focus is fine for subjects that are at a fair distance but useless for anything within arm's length.

I've found this part to replace the glass ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-Google-Nexus-5-D821-D820-OEM-Rear-Camera-Lens-Cover-/151369197644?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item233e4ea84c ). But given the focusing issues, do you think I would have to replace the camera itself?

Thanks

My nexus 5 was in my pocket and I must've hit the corner of a table perfectly at some point during the day because when I took my phone out I noticed the glass covering the camera was completely smashed. I turned on the camera and the image looked foggy. Some of the glass broke off in the centre to give the camera a clear view so the camera itself seems to be working fine now except that it doesn't autofocus. I also can't tap to focus. When I tap, it just adjusts the exposure but doesn't focus. The focus is fine for subjects that are at a fair distance but useless for anything within arm's length.

I've found this part to replace the glass ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LG-Google-Nexus-5-D821-D820-OEM-Rear-Camera-Lens-Cover-/151369197644?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item233e4ea84c ). But given the focusing issues, do you think I would have to replace the camera itself?

Thanks

You can use L camera to do manual focus here you go and follow your topics.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You can use L camera to do manual focus here you go and follow your topics.

Thanks for the reply. I may give that camera a try but to be honest I would rather just fix the actual issue so that I do not have issues with other camera apps.

Thanks for the reply. I may give that camera a try but to be honest I would rather just fix the actual issue so that I do not have issues with other camera apps.

No problem.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of issue?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of issue?

My nexus 5 destroyed itself while in my pocket, I made a thread but can't link you now, I'm on mobile. But you can find it somewhere in my profile

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update anyone that comes across this in the future: Camera glass changed and focusing issue resolved!

I bought the motherboard securing plate (linked above) and replaced it in my phone. The process was simple enough. The glass must've been preventing the camera from focusing as I used a compressed air can to clear any small particles from the lens, replaced the lens cover (attached to motherboard plate) and now my camera is as good as new.

Thanks