Swiftech H240-X or Custom CPU loop.

I am going to be honest when I say I know very little about custom loops. I have heard that if you're going to go with an AIO that the Swiftech H240-X would be the best bet. I am debating whether I want to go full custom loop down the line (CPU and 2 x 980s). I guess I'm really trying to figure out how much of a performance difference I can expect to see with the Swiftech H240-X versus a custom CPU loop and then maybe even the Swiftech H240-X expanded into a full loop (CPU and GPU) versus a custom loop that I've built.

Do not expand the h-240x into a custom loop, the pump would not be able to handle it. It would be easier for you to get something like the nzxt x41 now and make a custom loop when you have the budget and time.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Don't use a H2xx AiO.

If you want an AiO, buy a normal sealed CLC.

If you want a custom loop, build your own with normal parts or a kit.

The H2xx coolers are basically the cheapest possible "custom loop" made with budget parts. If you want to expand in the future you should use high quality components, not cheap ones.

Also these coolers can only be mounted horizontally at the top of the case, which really doesnt allow much flexibility.

If you can afford it I highly recommend building your own loop. If you cannot, just buy a closed loop cooler like the kraken X61, and save up money to build a proper custom loop in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Okay what would you guys suggest then as far as a custom cooled loop goes? Any particular brand and such? I have the money to build one now I am just not sure which company and such to go with. Should I buy an XSPC kit? Go complete custom mixing and matching parts from different manufacturers? I am also TERRIFIED of messing up a custom loop and frying my machine. Compression fittings are an ABSOLUTE must and anything that will prevent me from frying my machine.

XSPC kit has a worse pump than the 2**x kits, or just about the same poor quality, I'd look more into EKWB's kits 

And to avoid worry always ask and wait for answers, sure there are plenty of us on here that will be more than happy to help if you dive in fully :thumb:

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

Okay I am looking. Should I go with a 240mm rad or 360 mm rad? Here is my build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nitemare15/saved/sRkbt6

Also is there a specific pump from EK that I should look into? Should I be getting stuff for the mosfet 1 and 2 and also NB and SB, or should I just be getting stuff to cool the CPU and GPU?

The H240X is actually really awesome... with better than cheapest parts.  Maybe you have not seen the revised version.  Also I do not think the Apogee XL is cheap at what $60?

At only $10 more than the Kraken X61 I think I would rather have the Swiftech H240X http://www.swiftech.com/H240-X.aspx#tab3

Don't use a H2xx AiO.

If you want an AiO, buy a normal sealed CLC.

If you want a custom loop, build your own with normal parts or a kit.

The H2xx coolers are basically the cheapest possible "custom loop" made with budget parts. If you want to expand in the future you should use high quality components, not cheap ones.

Also these coolers can only be mounted horizontally at the top of the case, which really doesnt allow much flexibility.

If you can afford it I highly recommend building your own loop. If you cannot, just buy a closed loop cooler like the kraken X61, and save up money to build a proper custom loop in the future.

radiator-orientationsx800.jpg

radiator-orientationsx800.jpg

Do you have a source for this?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

You know I've posted it here also (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/258153-a-review-of-the-swiftech-h220-x)? :P

Sadly no one seems to read them here.

I would of thought that would go in user reviews. either way thanks for the great write up.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Do not expand the h-240x into a custom loop, the pump would not be able to handle it. It would be easier for you to get something like the nzxt x41 now and make a custom loop when you have the budget and time.

Do you have a source for a reason to not expand the H240-X?

The pump in the kit is an MCP30. You should be okay if you add a couple other components to your loop. Check out the thread at oc.net. obviously some people here haven't actually researched this kit. Also look at that nice review he explains a lot.

Okay clearly this loop is pretty serious and a decent buy. i just did the math on a custom loop and I'm looking at like $800 roughly for the loop I want to build. Which is not how much I want to spend currently. Do I need to cool anything else other than a full GPU block and CPU block? Like the mosfet and the south bridge and north bridge chips? Or is that for EXTREME situations?

My own little 2 cents here.  I have the H220X and it runs my system about 8 C cooler than the Corsair H100i did.    The pump CAN handle if i wanted to watercool with a larger radiator and do the CPU, but why since I already have basically that?

Now...I was planning to get my GPU in the mix with a second Vid card as well.  WIth that I would dump the swiftech radiator and tubing and replace those.  The heatsink is fine, I would just add new connectors and tubing with a bigger radiator.

Bottom line, if you are going to add a GPU in and want to watercool CPU/GPU, don't go with the swiftech. Start from scratch.  If you just are going with the CPU, the H220x and the H240x are awesome.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i