[Build Log] < Maximus > | Custom Loop | 5.2GHz OC

clarkmcc

MFe0yAz.jpg

Mod by CLARKMCC

This will be my first build with a custom water loop. I was lucky enough to pick up two rads, a 360MM and an 80MM thick 240M, along with a D5 pump, CPU waterblock and watercooling case (Can't remember the name at the moment) for $200.

The component specs are as follows:

• (Combo) AMD FX 8320 Clocked at 4.9 GHz but overclocked to 5.2GHz (http://valid.canardpc.com/52sht5)
  • ($75) 8GB of HyperX Fury RAM (I think I'm going up to 16)
  • ($120) R9 270X Toxic Edition
  • ($70) 120GB Kingston SSD
  • (Free) 2x 150GB Raptor drives in Raid 6 (I think, it's been a while since I did it)
  • (Combo) ASRock 990fx Killer

I'm hoping to do a lot of work with plexi-glass on this build. I would be going with Acrylic but I have 5-10 sheets of plexi-glass left over from something else.

PICTURES will be coming later today of what I've got. Stay tuned.

SEMI FINAL PICTURES

FsPD6Ky.jpg

Subbed.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Too many <<<<< >>>>>>

Reminds me of

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Subbed ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Subbed. Though you might want an unlocked i5 or even i7 in the future. Sorry if I burst your bubble, but there's no point in watercooling an i3.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I love a water cooled i3 :D subbed 

Subbed. Though you might want an unlocked i5 or even i7 in the future. Sorry if I burst your bubble, but there's no point in watercooling an i3.

Yeah the only reason for an i3 is I have it from a previous build. But an unlocked processor is my end goal, just got to get it in a budget  :wacko:

Yeah the only reason for an i3 is I have it from a previous build. But an unlocked processor is my end goal, just got to get it in a budget  :wacko:

OK. I mean, it's fine if you have if you have it temporarily, but eventually you might want to upgrade it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

OK. I mean, it's fine if you have if you have it temporarily, but eventually you might want to upgrade it.

Diffidently that's the plan

All of that watercooling gear for just $200? DAMN!

Yes it was barely used in a friends miner and now it's collecting dust so I thought I'd take it off his hands!  :D

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE #1 - Radiators and pump

Okay so first update here. I installed my SP 120s (Performance Editions) onto my 360MM and 240MM rads. The 240MM rad is 80MM thick and will be used to cool the water coming out of the GPU.

Radiators out of box:

zws4PHy.jpg

9t5HEDf.jpg

1MNtZ15.jpg

240MM x 80MM:

rs5a8bR.jpg

SVIjYNQ.jpg

I went with Bitspower  B) 

qI2D20u.jpg

q0Y8bPJ.jpg

Gn1VNAx.jpg

USWDVN6.jpg

nFNo6YF.jpg

mE2Bbld.jpg

360MM x Unknown (probably like 20-40 :P )

7KalnpG.jpg

SU38Wpw.jpg

HqLUdVN.jpg

ETlk1be.jpg

D5 Pump and Res

146bINp.jpg

RkrwIh7.jpg

That's all for now. Subscribe for more!

If you're gonna get unlocked CPU in the future, like i5 or i7, you would definitely need a Z97 board though. But I'm still looking forward to see where this is going :) 

If you're gonna get unlocked CPU in the future, like i5 or i7, you would definitely need a Z97 board though. But I'm still looking forward to see where this is going :)

Yep, over the next little while everything is slowly going to be updated. The next thing will be a watercooled GPU though, then CPU and motherboard

• 1 month later...

UPDATE #2 - New CPU and Motherboard

You guys will be happy to know that I acquired a Fatal1ty Killer with FX-8350 8 Core CPU @ 4GHz (4.2 Turbo) Coming later this week, expect to see some pictures!

I love a water cooled i3 :D subbed 

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, congrats!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

what is it bench stable upto? a few people on this forum have got over 5.2ghz with the amd 8 cores.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

what is it bench stable upto? a few people on this forum have got over 5.2ghz with the amd 8 cores.

Unfortunately I had to down to 4.8  to get a stable clock for video encoding running at 1.55V which is the highest my mobo will provide. I was also getting 65+ temps load on 4.9 which was a little high to be running constantly. Second radiator coming in soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that loop order doesnt matter. But what do I want to keep colder the GPU or CPU? Because you have the colder (relatively) water coming out of the rads right?

Dam, the thickness of that front radiator.  It sits very nicely under the drive bays.

I know that loop order doesnt matter. But what do I want to keep colder the GPU or CPU? Because you have the colder (relatively) water coming out of the rads right?

It really depends on what you want to keep from throttling.  Not sure at what point the CPU will throttle itself, but GPUs will start around 80 Celsius (My GPU at least).  The water will probably be colder coming out of the rads if the water speed was much slower.  Since a lot of water is being moved, water temperature should vary only a few degrees.

Dam, the thickness of that front radiator.  It sits very nicely under the drive bays.

It really depends on what you want to keep from throttling.  Not sure at what point the CPU will throttle itself, but GPUs will start around 80 Celsius (My GPU at least).  The water will probably be colder coming out of the rads if the water speed was much slower.  Since a lot of water is being moved, water temperature should vary only a few degrees.

It's insanly thick! Yeah it bpokes above the bottom of the drive bays but its slanted so it fits just fine.

It's insanly thick! Yeah it bpokes above the bottom of the drive bays but its slanted so it fits just fine.

If you're insisting on running full AMD, underclock the cpu a little and let those GPUs soak in the cold water. Water coming out from rad should go straight into gpu, then to cpu in an amd loop. Nvidia, doesn't really matter.