Reddit starts banning users who share leaked data from Sony

XTankSlayerX

2e200757-cda7-458b-b119-8ef86a8bd56e-206

SonyGOP is now returning a “subreddit banned” notice, and the moderator of the page (a throwaway account also named SonyGOP) has also had their account deleted. Reddit told Business Insider’s James Cook that “discussions and news stories” about the hack were still allowed on the site.

The removal of SonyGOP has echoes of Reddit’s previous removal of the subreddit TheFappening, where Redditors congregated to share and discuss photos stolen from celebrities’ iCloud accounts. The subreddit was also bombarded with DMCA takedown notices, but the lack of a single authority with ownership of all the material meant that Reddit didn’t remove the whole subforum, instead policing it on a piecemeal basis.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/17/reddit-bans-users-for-sharing-hacked-sony-documents

Is this censorship or the right thing to do to protect the personal information of its employees?

On my phone... Low qual thread = me sorry

I'm not surprised by this they also banned users that sold cough illegal Windows copies.

Its priacy and illegal so they have every right to do so

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Weren't they threatening legal actions to anyone distributing said material?

If reddit now bans the subreddit and its Moderator they're trying to be on the safe side of things.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

I have no problem with this.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This particular form of censorship, self-censorship I am okay with. Even if it turns out that Sony is pressuring them. I still think it's the right thing to do given the nature of the information and it's source.

I think it's an acceptable thing to do, but it won't accomplish anything. Anyone who want the leaked info can still get their hands on it no matter what the Reddit staff does.

Its fine they are in much deep trouble already...... 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

banning the sharing of other people's personal information, fine with that. but more 50/50 on people sharing some of the other less harmful stuff

I also agree that it's fine, sharing information on other people can harm them one way or another, directly or indirectly, a clear violation of privacy.

Good. Pirating isn't legal and I'm glad they're making sure the site doesn't become another piratebay or kickass torrents. I only know about torrents because of one friend, seriously, look into something a lot, then buy. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I'm sure Sony paid the reddit staff to do so.

No, cause its too much to assume that Reddit admins came to the conclusion that this is serious and they don't need that on their site on any level. 

It couldn't be because the admins are halfway decent and are horrified that someone would leak so much information about random and innocent individuals. 

No, not possible. 

Has to involve money.

This particular form of censorship, self-censorship I am okay with. Even if it turns out that Sony is pressuring them. I still think it's the right thing to do given the nature of the information and it's source.

I am somewhat skeptical that sony would be pressuring them directly, i feel like what we see in the media is more than enough. At first when i heard about the hack i thought i might go and look for the scripts to see if it was legit. Then i thought a moment... thats a surefire way to get fucked up by some of the most expensive lawyers in the world.

Reddit knows they cant fight sony (even if they wanted to) and so took steps to make sure that not only they would be protected but indirectly protected their users. There are other places on the internet people can post that stuff, let them use those if they must.

Now if they start banning for posting topics RELATED to it (news/discussions) then we got issues.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

This depends. Is it their personal info being shared? or just Sony documents in general?

This is tricky. If it's just personal info (addresses to the homes of the CEO's) then take it down, ASAP.

If it's just Sony documents in general it should be left untouched.

but this is new-age Reddit we're talking about. They'll do anything over there to comply with demands from officials. sigh.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

No, cause its too much to assume that Reddit admins came to the conclusion that this is serious and they don't need that on their site on any level. 

It couldn't be because the admins are halfway decent and are horrified that someone would leak so much information about random and innocent individuals. 

No, not possible. 

Has to involve money.

Why do you have to destroy my tinfoil hat,bruh?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!