Gamestop president:"Digital games are too cheap"

mark201200

President of Gamestop.... that title has about as much weight behind it as president of blockbuster.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

$60 isn't bullshit for a video game. I remember in the 80s paying $30 for NES games that could be developed by a few people in a few months. Factoring in inflation, those games were a little more expensive than modern AAA games that have huge development, art, and QA teams and take years to make. It always blows me away that we only pay $60 at launch for the quality of games we have now. I think we have it pretty good.

Technology moves on.

We should be getting more for same price, naturally...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Man I wish psn store and the other console stores would sell digital games cheaper

Well, in their defense they do provide kids with jobs, jobs in an industry that at least doesn't suck like working at McDonald's.  If people didn't buy from EB (gamestop in Aus.) my brother in law wouldn't have a job and thus wouldn't be going of to uni next year.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Here's the deal: there are more games than wallets to buy them. And the amount of people getting into game development every year is rising at a percentage greater than the increase in gamers and game consumers. Of course the cost of games is going down. There are many indies out there capable of delivering top quality games for less than half the price of one of the shitty, unfiniished, focus-tested, soulless triple-A hollywood discharges, so the needle head for getting through with these $60 games is extremely narrow, pretty much only the highest-integrity developers and publishers will be allowed to survive in the future unless they change the pricing to what their games are worth.

Hell, to this day, it's not the $275 purchase for lifetime subscription on The Secret World I regret (worth every penny) or my $1250 spent on Star Citizen, it's the $5 Steam sale purchases of empty crap that used to be $60 like Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, Crysis 2 etc.

Besides, the more obsolete publishers that shrivel up and die, the better.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I don't see how pre-owned games help the video game industry in any way (except for the stores obviously) I'm surprised it's not illegal really (not saying that that's what I want ofc)

Why don't they try to contend with steam, EA, and Ubisoft and other online retailers? You can't just moan about how your business plan is shit and expect daddy to fix it for you, you need to act if you want a business to continue.

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

Old pos

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Don't really agree with him since digital games are still $60 at launch. They don't get cheaper usually until a few months afterwards on a good sale.

By the way, he does have a point though. The average price of a game in 1995 was $50, accounting for inflation and if games had no actual price increase, they should be costing $71.78 today. The fact that they are selling for $60 means that they are effectively selling them for less than they use to.

To counter that last point, there are way more people playing video games now, than back in 95, playing video games then would mean you're a "nerd" or a "geek". Now its weird to find someone who doesn't play video games. So the decrease in price really shouldnt matter considering the immense increase in playerbase.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Gamestop/EB Games needs to die already I dislike them more then Ubisoft. Around here all they do is hire young semi attractive women who know nothing about gaming and overcharge on pretty much everything after driving out any competition in the area. Don't like digital distribution then maybe you shouldn't have included selling used games and pushing people to buy them over the new ones for like $5 less where the publishers and developers make no money and you make all the profit into your business model leaving publishers little other option but to come up with a way to sell their games to the public cutting you out.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Who still shops at Gamestop? Honestly? I'm not paying $40 for a used game in a slimy case. 

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

He does make a decent point, super cheap AAA games aren't sustainable and will lead to lower quality.

In that case they need to drop the price because they are already poor quality

I'm sure they would profit more if they dropped the prices slightly