A intro to programming?

Goussy

Anyone know a good start to get into programming and coding I'm taking a computer science and software engineering class at my school anyone know where a good place to start is?

Start with c than java and than whatever.

Haha, I started with QBasic back in middle school. That was great for some aspects of coding, but then I moved on to C# and then Java to learn object oriented programming, which is where the real meat is.

I started with Java myself :D

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

RBX Lua

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

Anyone know a good start to get into programming and coding I'm taking a computer science and software engineering class at my school anyone know where a good place to start is?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Objects-First-Java-Practical-Introduction/dp/0132492660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418762211&sr=8-1&keywords=objects+first+java

This book will teach you all the concepts you need to know.

Why?

You clearly have no knowledge of either C or Java.

Why?

You clearly are full of prejudices.

Why?

You clearly are full of prejudices.

You posted something that makes no sense, and didnt include any reasoning.

You posted something that makes no sense, and didnt include any reasoning.

Why that makes no sense?

"that makes no sense" is not good reasoning for your prejudice.

I learnt to program that way and I find it easy to understand.

Python is a good language to start with. Java and C# are good too but might be a little more confusing than Python. I started with Java when I learnt how to program.

One good thing to do is find out what language the class will be using and start learning it early. You'll have a head start on the class.

+1 

This is a great way to start as C# is currently the sort of go to language. Then from there try to do some tutorials on HTML and Javascript as web development is becoming more and more relevant in the development world.

This site is also great for learning http://www.w3schools.com/

\

Why that makes no sense?

"that makes no sense" is not good reasoning for your prejudice.

I learnt to program that way and I find it easy to understand.

C and Java are not similar in any way. Why woudl you recommend somebody learn both? Getting a good understanding of the concepts and ideas used in OOP is much more important in todays world.

Youre the one that suggested it, yet you cant post a reason why?

C and Java are not similar in any way. Why woudl you recommend somebody learn both? Getting a good understanding of the concepts and ideas used in OOP is much more important in todays world.

Youre the one that suggested it, yet you cant post a reason why?

Yea oop is much more needed today. But my opinion is my opinion.

You are one that says I am wrong, yet you cant post reasons why.

I personally like functional programming as an introduction. OOP languages like Java/C++/C# are too complicated for someone just learning to program, but can be picked up so easily later on. C I think is just perverse as an intro! I say that as someone who learned to program first in C back in the old days when we walked uphill both ways in the snow in 100 degree weather on the way to lecture. You get so caught up in syntax and loop counters and all other kinds of low level details that really obscure things, and everyone tries to build their programs from the bottom-up despite everyone telling you not to do that in the class. I like what Cal Berkeley does: you take a course using Scheme or Python first to learn how to program, next you take a course on software engineering and algorithms where Java is used since it's the natural choice here when you're writing ADT's, and then the third class is on computer organization where you learn C in a couple weeks because you're already a badass programmer by that third course and since it flows so well into learning assembly and the low-level workings of a computer the rest of the course.

i started with python its a powerful and easy language to learn i'm now learning C# and JavaScript you have a good idea on where to start when you have learnt python, if you need any assistance be sure to PM me.

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

C is a terrible language to start learning with, it's so much more confusing because you have to deal with dynamic memory management, and a very low-level of abstraction in the actual language itself.  Python is perfect for beginners, it requires the least knowledge of hardware and is the simplest IMO to begin learning about objects.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

i personally started with c# and i do get why it would be confusing to some people to start with but for me at least i had really quick results and positive enforcement. you dont start with nothing and then with a few lines of code you can see how your program behaves and evolves. for me a really great experience.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

probably try python its much easier than c just get familiar with the programming and then enter c and c++ ,java etc

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

I got into writing bash scripts not to long ago.  Way more fun than just programming IMO.  Going to learn python though someday...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Am I the only person who learned on a BASIC language like QBASIC? I mean, that's the entire point of the language!