MBT or GPT?

Tech Lover
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

so what i understand by your comment is that for 3Tb to be used completely, i need GPT right? and if i use GPT i cant install windows 8 on that right?

Sorry if I misguided you. Yes, in order to use all 3TB of your HDD, you need to format it as GPT since MBR does not support drives, larger than 2TB. 
You can install Windows 8 on GPT drive and boot from it as long as you have a UEFI BIOS motherboard. If you give me your motherboard brand and model, I can check if it does support UEFI or not (if you can't find it). 
Here's how you can make a bootable flash drive to install Windows 8 on GPT drive if you have problems with that: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Here's another topic on the matter that might interest you and give you some useful info: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/320700-boot-windows-7-8-gpt-bios-system-no-hybrid-mbrs-duet.html

Captain_WD.

Hi. i just got brand new WD Black 3Tb Drive. its the latest model and its actually July 2014 make. model is WD3003FZEX.

now when i connected it to my PC it give option to initialize it as either GPT or MBT, the option selected by default is to GPT, which i think is the latest standard. but i have read that you can not use drive as BOOT DRIVE if u choose this GPT in future. 

i want to know is there any performance difference if i choose any of these? 

also how many partitions can i make? i usually make big ass partitions but this time im thinking of making smaller ones.

also is it true that after i choose it as GPT i cant use it as boot drive if i ever think of doing that cause currently im on SSD and will not look back (of course...)but may be just may be i need one for another PC. 

or just tell me is it possible to change the mode from GPT to MBT in future? also one more question, how to check which hard drive is on which mode?

thanks

PS:

some one pls reply me cause im waiting on u guys to do it. im sitting here with my drive ready to be used but i need your help.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

Hi. i just got brand new WD Black 3Tb Drive. its the latest model and its actually July 2014 make. model is WD3003FZEX.

now when i connected it to my PC it give option to initialize it as either GPT or MBT, the option selected by default is to GPT, which i think is the latest standard. but i have read that you can not use drive as BOOT DRIVE if u choose this GPT in future. 

i want to know is there any performance difference if i choose any of these? 

also how many partitions can i make? i usually make big ass partitions but this time im thinking of making smaller ones.

also is it true that after i choose it as GPT i cant use it as boot drive if i ever think of doing that cause currently im on SSD and will not look back (of course...)but may be just may be i need one for another PC. 

or just tell me is it possible to change the mode from GPT to MBT in future? also one more question, how to check which hard drive is on which mode?

thanks

PS:

some one pls reply me cause im waiting on u guys to do it. im sitting here with my drive ready to be used but i need your help.

Hey Tech Lover,

Compared with MBR disk, A GPT disk can support larger than 2 TB volumes where MBR cannot. A GPT disk can be basic or dynamic, just like an MBR disk can be basic or dynamic. GPT disks also support up to 128 partitions rather than the 4 primary partitions limited to MBR. Also, GPT keeps a backup of the partition table at the end of the disk. Furthermore, GPT disk provides greater reliability due to replication and cyclical redundancy check (CRC) protection of the partition table. 

What Os are you planning on using? You need GPT if you want to use all 3TB. MBR can't address more than 2TB regardless of the number of partitions.

Captain_WD

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Tech Lover,

Compared with MBR disk, A GPT disk can support larger than 2 TB volumes where MBR cannot. A GPT disk can be basic or dynamic, just like an MBR disk can be basic or dynamic. GPT disks also support up to 128 partitions rather than the 4 primary partitions limited to MBR. Also, GPT keeps a backup of the partition table at the end of the disk. Furthermore, GPT disk provides greater reliability due to replication and cyclical redundancy check (CRC) protection of the partition table. 

What Os are you planning on using? You need GPT if you want to use all 3TB. MBR can't address more than 2TB regardless of the number of partitions.

Captain_WD

so what i understand by your comment is that for 3Tb to be used completely, i need GPT right? and if i use GPT i cant install windows 8 on that right?

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

Sorry if I misguided you. Yes, in order to use all 3TB of your HDD, you need to format it as GPT since MBR does not support drives, larger than 2TB. 
You can install Windows 8 on GPT drive and boot from it as long as you have a UEFI BIOS motherboard. If you give me your motherboard brand and model, I can check if it does support UEFI or not (if you can't find it). 
Here's how you can make a bootable flash drive to install Windows 8 on GPT drive if you have problems with that: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Here's another topic on the matter that might interest you and give you some useful info: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/320700-boot-windows-7-8-gpt-bios-system-no-hybrid-mbrs-duet.html

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Captain_WD.

thanks for ur help mate. my motherboard is Maximus 6 Hero and btw i will not need to make it bootable InshaAllah in future cause i have SSD.

thanks for ur help mate. my motherboard is Maximus 6 Hero and btw i will not need to make it bootable InshaAllah in future cause i have SSD.

You are welcome! :)

Yes, you do have a UEFI BIOS motherboard (and a quite good one too :) ) so you shouldn't have any problems using GPT as a bootable drive.

Captain_WD.

Actually I would consider using GPT on the SSD as well. GPT is the newer standard, with many advantages over MBR. Also UEFI is preferable to the old legacy BIOS stuff, unless you absolutely need it for something specific.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Actually I would consider using GPT on the SSD as well. GPT is the newer standard, with many advantages over MBR. Also UEFI is preferable to the old legacy BIOS stuff, unless you absolutely need it for something specific.

I would second this comment. GPT is indeed a newer standart, offering additional features that prolong SSDs' life and enable them to run smoother and faster.

Captain_WD.