Amiibos any good? (new vs old 3DS)

So it'd cost me about $80 to upgrade my current 3ds xl to the new 3ds xl by selling my current one and getting this deal https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/174627 during the holiday season.

The upgrade is definitely worth it to most, but I was just wondering if the amiibo feature was good to anyone apart from looking great on your shelf.

Thx

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

You lucky Aussies actually getting something first.

well I live in perth, where that retard dropped the first iphone 6 on retail...

Oh ya and we lucky aussies also still get to pay the premium on like everything (gtx 970s are like $500-600 aud, exchange rate after fees is about 20% when converting from aud to usd)

Thanks, bai!

well I live in perth, where that retard dropped the first iphone 6 on retail...

Oh ya and we lucky aussies also still get to pay the premium on like everything (gtx 970s are like $500-600 aud, exchange rate after fees is about 20% when converting from aud to usd)

Yeah, BUT you still get the new 3DS first asides Japan, that's something. The temptation to import an Aussie 3DS..

For everything we get early there are another ten we get late. It used to be that we got pretty much everything later than the US so it's nice that we're getting something early. But it's not most things. Even if I limit the stuff we get to just Nintendo stuffs and just this month we're not getting Captain Toad until next year and it has been out in the US for a couple of weeks. Swings and roundabouts.

More on topic, I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan but personally I'm not really sold on the New 3DS yet. I only upgraded from a launch 3DS to my Zelda edition XL late last year and I'm pretty happy with that still. The better load times for Smash,better 3D, better WiFi and Amiibo support are all big deals but IMO that's not quite enough for me to go out an upgrade. It's the one I'd get if I was getting a 3DS but I'm not convinced it's worth getting as an upgrade given my XL is still pretty damn new. If there's a new game I really wanted that was exclusive to the New 3DS? Well maybe then I'd be convinced.

As far as the Amiibos go they're pretty fantastic. I have them for my Wii U and even though they're only really useful in Smash they're still pretty good. Right now though there are no titles that support them on the 3DS so it wouldn't at all factor into my thoughts about whether to upgrade or not. They're also apparently going to release an accessory that lets you use Amiibos on the old 3DS so that's also an option. Overall I think it's way too early to say whether or not Amiibo is worth it for the 3DS.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

If you can get one of the rare manufacturer defect Amiibos it is good as they are worth quite a bit to collectors of stuff.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

If you can get one of the rare manufacturer defect Amiibos it is good as they are worth quite a bit to collectors of stuff.

TBH I suspect that that sort of crap will die down as more become available. There's just a bit of a frenzy right now because the demand is so ridiculous, last I read they'd sold something like 750k in the US in the first two weeks. Add to that the fact that they only made a fraction of the number of some of the less popular characters? And the fact that a lot of people are going after a full set? All of a sudden there are ones on eBay for 5x retail. Something which wont hold when the second shipment comes in.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

TBH I suspect that that sort of crap will die down as more become available. There's just a bit of a frenzy right now because the demand is so ridiculous, last I read they'd sold something like 750k in the US in the first two weeks. Add to that the fact that they only made a fraction of the number of some of the less popular characters? And the fact that a lot of people are going after a full set? All of a sudden there are ones on eBay for 5x retail. Something which wont hold when the second shipment comes in.....

well they will probably be still worth more than the shelf price so it can't hurt to pick one up.

Plus some of them look just retarded so maybe it's worth picking them up just for that reason.

Thanks, bai!