60 GB enough for boot drive?

So, I'm building a computer and I wanted to know if 60gb is enough for a boot drive. I plan on using Windows 8.1. I have a 60gb Corsair Force LS SSD and a WD 1TB Black.

PC Specs:

Case: Corsair 450D

Power Supply: Corsair CX600M

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Processor: Intel Pentium G3258

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

SSD: 60gb Corsair Force LS

Hard Drive: 1TB WD Black

Ram: 2 x 4 gb Hyperx Fury Black

Thanks!

60gb is enough :D why are you cooling a g3258 with an h100i? lol

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

yes but just OS, since windows 8.1 takes up like 30 gb

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

maybe so when he steps up to a core i5 or i7 he doesnt need to spend in fancy cooling?

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Yep, I used a 60gb as a Win 7 boot drive temporarily. Now have 250gb :)  

Sure 60GB is enough, but if you want to have a few apps or games on your SSD, you should definitely up the size to 128GB. I have a 128GB and with only a few games it's already full.

yes but just OS, since windows 8.1 takes up like 30 gb

Windows 8.1 installed is <25GB.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

maybe so when he steps up to a core i5 or i7 he doesnt need to spend in fancy cooling?

touche

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

It's around 55 gigs in windows (See GiB vs GB), so after an install you'll have around 25-30 gigs left. 

Best value to to get a 128GB for around 60$

It's worth the extra 15$

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

60GB is what I'd call the bare minimum for a boot drive with some essential programs, because with SSDs is that you don't want them to get near full to make use of the drive's wear-leveling ability. I'd recommend holding out for at least a 128GB SSD if at all possible.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

60GB is what I'd call the bare minimum for a boot drive with some essential programs, because with SSDs is that you don't want them to get near full to make use of the drive's wear-leveling ability. I'd recommend holding out for at least a 128GB SSD if at all possible.

that avatar

photo-108012.gif

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I plan on stepping up to a core i5 next year.

So, I'm building a computer and I wanted to know if 60gb is enough for a boot drive. I plan on using Windows 8.1. I have a 60gb Corsair Force LS SSD and a WD 1TB Black.

PC Specs:

Thanks!

Hello TheRedsterd and welcome to Linus Tech Tips :)

As the guys pointed out, 60GB is enough for a boot drive as an OS takes up to 30GB-40GB (with all updates). Do have in mind that it is recommended that SSDs are left with 12%-15% of free space for best performance. As it was mentioned, you are likely to fill it up pretty quickly even only with updates and there are larger SSDs with much better value or $/GB. :)

Captain_WD.

PS: I really like the build :)

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

i have my OS (windows 8) along with all my drivers and commonly used programs (firefox, afterburner, bitcomet, ventrilo, origin etc..) and a lot of crap on this boot drive and it's a 64GB SSD...

Capture.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

PC Specs:

Thanks!

Why are you using a $100 cooler on a $70 CPU? Why not just pay the $220 now for an i5-4690k and run it at stock speed on the stock cooler, and then overclock when you have the money to buy the H100i cooler later? Seems like a way better idea than throwing $70 away for a Pentium that's not going to be a very satisfying CPU now and that you'll probably want to chunk in the trash for an i5 in not too long.

I plan on stepping up to a core i5 next year.

Why don't you just buy the i5 now and step up to the H100i cooler next year? You'll have a badass gaming computer right now instead of bottlenecking the hell out of your 970, and you'll never waste $70 on the Pentium.

This is so backwards. An i5-4690k at stock speed on the stock cooler gives an awesome gaming system. A G3258 overclocked to hell thanks to the water cooling is still going to be a stuttering mess paired with a GTX 970. Why not buy the cooler later?

Yeah... I can understand that Pentium thing if you already know where or to who you gonna sell or give it when you change to i5/i7 or make f.e. HTPC. But if not, then I would straight save for the i5 ;) My other suggestion is if you want to save money and you will use for at least an year take Pentium and CM 212 Evo. With that you will save money for i7 and AIO instead of i5.  :unsure:

You could also probably find a h100i on sale down the line if you bought the i5 now

Why don't you just buy the i5 now and step up to the H100i cooler next year? You'll have a badass gaming computer right now instead of bottlenecking the hell out of your 970, and you'll never waste $70 on the Pentium.

Its been tested many times. It doesnt bottleneck it. I've watched many videos on it.

Its been tested many times. It doesnt bottleneck it. I've watched many videos on it.

Watch this one and look at the constant oscillation in frametimes in 3 out of the 5 games. That's stuttering.

I don't know what videos you have been watching. If you get a game designed for dual cores the G3258 is a monster and can keep up with an i7 easily. But how many games are being written for dual core anymore now that XBox 360 has had its last major releases?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-pentium-g3258-review

Watch this one and look at the constant oscillation in frametimes in 3 out of the 5 games. That's stuttering.

I don't know what videos you have been watching. If you get a game designed for dual cores the G3258 is a monster and can keep up with an i7 easily. But how many games are being written for dual core anymore now that XBox 360 has had its last major releases?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-pentium-g3258-review

I play League of Legends and Minecraft.