Would anyone recommend an ASUS Memo Pad 7?

RadSalacan
Go to solution Solved by Techteen14,

Which one, the me176 or me576?

I'd recommend both. I might pick up the me576 for myself as an E-reader.

Looking to get a tablet for my girlfriend for christmas and I've narrowed it down to a few including the memo pad 7.  My budget is strictly set at 100 bucks.  I'd prefer her to have an android one.  She'll be using it with a chromecast I'm getting for her.  Performance takes a bit of a backseat to display as she has crappy eyes.  So basically yeah....that's it....any other suggestions in that budget?  Or is the memo pad a solid tablet for the price?  Thanks for any help/info.

Nope, that 1GB RAM. Amazon HDX 7 all the way ($100) :)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Oh, forgot to mention...she's had a kindle tablet before and HATED the interface.  As close to stock android as possible is preferred.  Also, I'm pretty sure those won't work with a chromecast as well.  But I could be wrong.

Oh, forgot to mention...she's had a kindle tablet before and HATED the interface.  As close to stock android as possible is preferred.  Also, I'm pretty sure those won't work with a chromecast as well.  But I could be wrong.

Just install the stock ROM.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Android runs perfectly fine on 1GB of RAM. The only issue with cheap tablets that makes them slow and crappy is the CPU it's using. The MeMo Pad 7 uses a fairly good CPU for the price, so it's all good. 

COMIC SANS

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I'm not positive which one yet.  Was just trying to narrow it down.  But thanks for the info.

I'm not positive which one yet. Was just trying to narrow it down. But thanks for the info.

The me176 is a little older, has a lower resolution screen and cameras and isn't as expensive as the me576, while the me576 is a proper Nexus 7 successor made cheaper (I can't imagine how razor-thin ASUS's margins are on this tablet) by the Intel-subsidized Atom processors. It has more RAM, a faster processor, a 1920x1200 16:10 screen, 2MP front and 5MP back cameras and a much more premium feeling body, for $179. Best Buy is apparently the only place you can get it, although if you live pretty much anywhere in the US that won't be a problem.

I want one as an E-Reader, and since the cheapest touch Kindle is $99 (IIRC), I figure that the extra $79 will be worth it for full Android (e.g. Kindle AND Nook apps), the bigger and higher-res screen and drastically faster CPU. I also want an cheap, won't-be-the-end-of-the-world-if-I-brick-it Android device for tinkering, and this fits that bill too.

I'd wait to see what CES brings, though. Samsung released something like seven tablets there last year, and the more expensive Dell Venue 8 7000 looks neat.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

The me176 is a little older, has a lower resolution screen and cameras and isn't as expensive as the me576, while the me576 is a proper Nexus 7 successor made cheaper (I can't imagine how razor-thin ASUS's margins are on this tablet) by the Intel-subsidized Atom processors. It has more RAM, a faster processor, a 1920x1200 16:10 screen, 2MP front and 5MP back cameras and a much more premium feeling body, for $179. Best Buy is apparently the only place you can get it, although if you live pretty much anywhere in the US that won't be a problem.

I want one as an E-Reader, and since the cheapest touch Kindle is $99 (IIRC), I figure that the extra $79 will be worth it for full Android (e.g. Kindle AND Nook apps), the bigger and higher-res screen and drastically faster CPU. I also want an cheap, won't-be-the-end-of-the-world-if-I-brick-it Android device for tinkering, and this fits that bill too.

I'd wait to see what CES brings, though. Samsung released something like seven tablets there last year, and the more expensive Dell Venue 8 7000 looks neat.

Have you seen either of them in action?  The thing that is actually most important to me is that the screen is garbage.  I own a Nexus 7 and the screen is great.  No noticable color shift what so ever.  That's what I want.  A 7 inch screen that is pretty solid at color reproduction and has pretty good viewing angles.  Does the me176 suck in that area?