Crossfire question

Go to solution Solved by MourningSouls,

From what I understand based on something I read by OklahomaWolf (The main reviewer on JonnyGuru) is that while the headers are identical, the wiring is different enough that it could be damaging. (Using an EPS cable as a PCI-E)

Though not ideal, you could use a (generally dual) molex to PCI-E adapter. Or, I would honestly recommend selling your current 270X and buying a 290 or 290X instead. It'll cost a little more yeah, but it should beat the Crossfire option by a bit, while also not having the problems many have with Crossfire (And SLI).

Hello all! I'm considering crossfiring my current MSI R9 270x 2G with another one soon, I've looked around and I should have the wattage required, I'm, using an EVGA Supernova NEX750B for power. I have looked and found that I need around 50 amps on my 12V rail, and I have 61 amps available. my only issue is that my PSU only supports 3 6+2 VGA cables. Here's where I started digging. http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/110-B1-0750.pdf This is where I found that I may be able to use my CPU2 plug for the 4th 6+2 power lead. The CPU2 rail has 20 amps by itself and is the only plug on 12V3 (rail 3 of 12v I'm assuming) so it ought to be doable. Now I need to either adapt my own CPU2 cable to a 6+2 male end or find another suitable cable that will plug into CPU2 and terminate in a 6+2 VGA.

Don't tell me to get a better single card please. I know it might be a better performer but this is my goal.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Specs:

EVGA supernova NEX 750B Semi modular

Corsair Obsidian 350D

Asus Z97M-Plus

Intel 4690K, not overclocked yet

Using a stock cooler right now, planning on an H110 then some OCing

Kingston HyperX 8GB 2X4 1866

MSI R9 270x 2GB (planning on a second)

Segate 1TB HDD 7200RPM

Kingston SSDNow v300 250GB 

Also planning to add 2 front AF140 fans later. 

So total potential fans are 1 120mm and 4 140mm

Why cant you use a molex adapter?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

From what I understand based on something I read by OklahomaWolf (The main reviewer on JonnyGuru) is that while the headers are identical, the wiring is different enough that it could be damaging. (Using an EPS cable as a PCI-E)

Though not ideal, you could use a (generally dual) molex to PCI-E adapter. Or, I would honestly recommend selling your current 270X and buying a 290 or 290X instead. It'll cost a little more yeah, but it should beat the Crossfire option by a bit, while also not having the problems many have with Crossfire (And SLI).

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I'm aware of the molex adapters but having limited cable management room as is I don't want to go that route. 

Thank you for this information! This was exactly what I was looking for. The tinkering side of me always wants to upgrade by rig but since my 270x is fine at 1080p I think I'll just run with it for now and put the money toward an H110 and some fans, maybe LED's too.

Thank you again!