FX-8350 or i5-4460?

I just got a small step closer to finishing my build by getting my GTX 760, I now need a new CPU, I'm torn between the FX-8350 and i5-4460, I can currently play all the games I want to play except Planetside 2, I can play it, but not without having terrible frames half the time. Which CPU would perform better in Planetside 2 since it's such a CPU intensive game, the FX-8350, or i5-4460? 

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

price/performance an 8000 series FX beats a locked i5 IMO, as you can overclock it and has better multi-threded performance (duh, 8 cores)

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

price/performance an 8000 series FX beats a locked i5 IMO, as you can overclock it and has better multi-threded performance (duh, 8 cores)

Overclocking 83xx requires much more money than a locked i5 (you'll need a decent motherboard and at least a $30+ cooler to overclock it).

Locked i5 beats 83xx in every game - which is what it's being used for.

No point in getting an 8350 for his needs.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

But price/gaming performance - the i5 can thrash the 8350 because of far stronger single-threaded performance.

Sig under construction.

FX 8350. I have one and absolutely love it, it's a great CPU that is also unlocked :D

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Overclocking 83xx requires much more money than a locked i5 (you'll need a decent motherboard and at least a $30+ cooler to overclock it).

Locked i5 beats 83xx in every game - which is what it's being used for.

No point in getting an 8350 for his needs.

Y wouldnt he get a good cooler any way

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

he's looking at budget cpus, so its safe to assume he's working with a tight-ish budget

You don't need an aftermarket cooler for a locked i5, you do if you want to overclock an 8350 at ALL, and it's generally recommended to get one even if you aren't planning to overclock.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Here we go again..

I just got a small step closer to finishing my build by getting my GTX 760, I now need a new CPU, I'm torn between the FX-8350 and i5-4460, I can currently play all the games I want to play except Planetside 2, I can play it, but not without having terrible frames half the time. Which CPU would perform better in Planetside 2 since it's such a CPU intensive game, the FX-8350, or i5-4460? 

if you are mainly gaming...and playing mmo's like planetside who require great per core performance, do yourself a favor and get the intel i5 it will be far better than any overclocked AMD CPU. Clockspeed and core count won't mean much when you have such poor IPC to begin with...also power consumpiton, price for ''good enough'' motherboard and aftermarket CPU heatsink will make you realise that the AMD option actualy cost way more if you want to be able to overclock such a chip.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

get the i5 4460 its better than the fx 8350 in gaming and close to equal in multithreaded stuff seeing that the i5 4690k beats the 8350 and pls correct me if i'm wrong but if your an amd fanboy don't even say a thing

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

planetside 2 is one of those games that runs allot better on an intel cpu.

So i would higly recommend an i5

I5. Over. Done.

/thread

Edit* if you haven't yet bought the GTX760, get an R9 280 instead.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

2 choices, i5 with a h81 mobo, or a i5 with a h81 mobo.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

Well "all games" is an overated statement.

Lets take Tombraider as an example :)

Tomb Raider runs on just about every CPU from 2006. That game is seriously not restricted by whatever CPU you put into the system.

Well "all games" is an overated statement.

Lets take Tombraider as an example :)

you can run Tomb Raider on a stock G3258 and it will perform the same as a 4690k xD

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I ran a test for tomb raider on my 4670K. At C7 state (so that's 800mhz), i still got 49ish fps average.

http://i.imgur.com/aUtIwpU.jpg

It was being very unstable though, couldn't take a screenshot +)

Anyway, offtopic^2. i5. /thread

Tomb Raider runs on just about every CPU from 2006. That game is seriously not restricted by whatever CPU you put into the system.

yea so your statement is is not fully accurate :P

But sure the i5 is obvious the better choice for gaming.

There is nothing to argue about

yea so your statement is is not fully accurate 

Yes, it was actually. The fact that Tomb Raider isn't CPU intensive, does not alter the recommendation. It still runs better, only 0.05% better (don't quote me on that %), so it's moot.

LOL TR ran on my Phenom II with the 290 as well as it did on the 2500K.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Yes, it was actually. The fact that Tomb Raider isn't CPU intensive, does not alter the recommendation. It still runs better, only 0.05% better (don't quote me on that %), so it's moot.

haha yeah well, haswell cpu´s simply have better single threaded performance, and that makes them basicly better allrounders for gaming generaly.

Because in cpu bound gaming scenario´s intel cpu´s simply win :)

There is realy nothing to argue about