Good Starting Camera for a Kid?

da_KOWZ

I need one for my little sister (point and shoot), what specs should I look at?

Really, anything would do. Anything with 12+ megapixels, good low light performance and image stabilisation will suffice in most cases. Do you have a budget?

EDIT: A touch screen is a nice thing to have too.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Really, anything would do. Anything with 12+ megapixels, good low light performance and image stabilisation will suffice in most cases. Do you have a budget?

Basically.

@OP

Exmor Sensors fit this fine.

http://store.sony.com/point-and-shoot-digital-still-camera-zid27-DSCW800//cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-W-Series-Cameras?vva_ColorCode=BC016&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

72  4.5 Star reviews. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

My recommendation (Depending on age and budget) consider just giving her a Smart-Phone or if she already has one just tell her to used that and buy lens attachments. Honestly the camera in phones are good enough for most + they have the ability to share pictures almost instantly. (A HUGE plus) 

A phone + a clip on lens set (Macro, fisheye, tele. and wide) will beat a point and shoot any day.

For someone just starting out in photography having to carry an extra camera of any size isn't usually worth it. With a phone you just slip it into your pocket and you'll always have it with you.   

EDIT: A touch screen is a nice thing to have too.

The budget is $150

My recommendation (Depending on age and budget) consider just giving her a Smart-Phone or if she already has one just tell her to used that and buy lens attachments. Honestly the camera in phones are good enough for most + they have the ability to share pictures almost instantly. (A HUGE plus) 

A phone + a clip on lens set (Macro, fisheye, tele. and wide) will beat a point and shoot any day.

For someone just starting out in photography having to carry an extra camera of any size isn't usually worth it. With a phone you just slip it into your pocket and you'll always have it with you.   

pSNYNA-DSCRX100M3~B_alternate3_v500.png

Sure fucking sure.

OP: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSCWX220-Digital-Camera-2-7-Inch/dp/B00M9AB81O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418615662&sr=1-1&keywords=DSC-WX220&pebp=1418615664579

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B00HLDFNKQ/ref=sr_1_90?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1418615526&sr=1-90&keywords=camera

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

sure fucking sure.

Next time provide some feedback instead of just straight up bashing a post.

The reason I say a phone will beat a point and shoot any day because hardly anyone carries a point and shoot in a jacket pocket or bag everyday. The vast majority will carry a phone everyday. They're great for getting quick shots as it's always easily within reach reach. The best camera in the world is no use if people don't actually bring it with them. I've seen so many people who say they will carry it everywhere, but in two weeks they end up leaving it at home and only taking it out on "special occasions". + The ability to have those specialty lenses I mentioned make photography less boring. Nothing can touch a smartphone in terms of ease of use/ease of share. 

This is the problem with gear recommendations. Instead of just posting a camera, explain why certain cameras are better for what situation.