Are your parent's into computers?

asim1999

My dad doesn't really care for it.

My Mom just sits there like:

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

That hit me right in the feels.

On topic: 

My dad plays this pirate mmo game on facebook (it actually pretty cool) on his macbook and COD on his Xbox One and 360, and doesn't rage hardcore.

My Mom still doesn't believe that MacBook heatsinks get dusty, but she's polite about it.

My stepdad loves Mac computers but understands that graphics cards make a bigger difference in most games than do CPUs.

This could apply to most media consumption as well. Related to that: my godparent has though of building a new rig as his current one is a little old (in his opinion), but while he's considering to still use his GTX 570, for his new computer he's thinking of getting an i7 4790K, for basically a PC that's used pretty much as an HTPC... Yeah... He doesn't need that, but he thinks that "some codecs just require more CPU power". Well, he's right, but even then, the difference between an i5 4690K an an i7 4790K for his use, is so minimal that he'd be completely fine with the 4690K. He's not doing much CPU intensive tasks, really.

Oh well... It's his money, he can have a rig he wants. On a plus side, I might get some spare parts from his current rig, like the Phenom II X6, 4GB or-so DDR3 RAM, and a compatible mobo. I might not use them at all, but he said that he won't be needing those and might give them to me instead of throwing them away, as he can't be bothered to sell "old" PC tech. Maybe I'll figure out some use for it, like a server to play around with...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Mom: Says her computer knowledge is in Cobalt

Dad: Electrical engineer who likes to play around with electronics.  He can understand what everything on the circuit board is and does, but he has limited knowledge on what the circuit boards do in a pc.  He has very limited knowledge with software (he still uses internet explorer).

My parents are of the type that go: 'you used our computer once and now it's slower, so it must be your fault'. While they install tons of toolbars and open about every link in their email that they get.

Not a lot of people i know are really into tech, one of my friends still thinks that HDMI is superior.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

my mom tries to be interested at least, I guess that counts. Although she still thinks SSDs are completely stupid.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Father - not a chance

Mother - less into computers more into networking, works at Intel I therefore get more than 50% off any Intel device. :P

then its time to get a 5960X

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

then its time to get a 5960X

It costs money to do a build around a LGA2011 CPU and it also would force me to have a bigger PC. so I'm sticking to my 4790K for the time being.

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

My parents just need their laptops to work. If they have any problem at all, they will call, and because there is no way I can coach them over the phone, I have to come over to their house to show them. My dad had an office job for about 5-7 years and still pecks at the keyboard. Sometimes I stare at him and type while he tells me what to type and he's dumbfounded, and I throw this at him, "well didn't you have an office job before?" lol

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

My parents are by no means into tech, but they have some knowledge about it, partly because i force them to learn stuff once in a while. They have a dated but still working laptop, an iPad, and an Asus Transformer tablet. My dad uses a Samsung Galaxy S3, and my mom the mini. My dad works with a certain amount of IT at his workplace, but he's no wizard at computers (although he does know quite a bit about security and encryption utilities). He couldn't build his own PC, and before buying anything electronic he always consults me first. What really blew my mind though was the other day, i was talking to my dad about my semester project in computer science, trying to explain how the code works, and out of the freaking blue, he's like "i understand that code, i had that back when i was in school". I nearly fell out of my chair in shock, like, just, really. Here is a guy who has me set up their router when it's not working but he knows how to code a decent amount in C.....

No. They have me do the most basic things for them even though they've been using them for years.

my mom knows a little bit about computers. nothing hardware wise but she can go on the internet and go on youtube and stuff. she types very slow. my dad is a little worst than my mother. both of them support me in building my own pc however!

My dad uses the computer for work and stuff, and he rarely ever asks me for help unless something is broken. He knows what he's doing.

My mum on the other hand has not used a computer since the C64.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Not in the slightest.

My mom knows like nothing about computers and my dad maybe a bit above average however not much in any way.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

my mom tries to be interested at least, I guess that counts. Although she still thinks SSDs are completely stupid.

I'd have a hard time explaining what a ssd is :-)

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

My dad use Toshiba C650 But he is "signalling" me that he wants a new one :D And my mom mianly use a Desire 310 for internet and stuff

My Dad is computer literate, works for a major telecom company and even handles configuring some routers for bigger customers of theirs. Though I'm better with computers then he is, he did get me into it. He bought a Windows 95 machine way back in '96 that I ended up using more than anyone else. The Beige Beauty. Anyway he knows how to use windows and office and stuff like that, but he would not be able to use Linux, OSX or build a computer.

My Mom is bad, we got her a tablet and an email account this fall, so she's starting to learn, but mostly sticks to reading e-books.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

My mum is always like why do you spend all this money on your pc.

My Dad likes computers and when i bought my new Motherboard (Gryphon Z97) he was looking at it for a solid 30min and said "DAM motherboards are looking better and better"

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

My dad uses a really old XP Build from 2003 or something with actually really good specs for its time. He had it custom built by a friend then, he mainly browses the webs and plays some vintage games. Its essentially a vintage gaming/web browsing PC. The graphics card suprisingly runs minecraft better than a 2012 500$ laptop.

I have alot of vintage PC Parts, a AGP Radeon 9550 I think and some old ram and hard drives. I might even have a tv tuner card.

The PC was built to be a gaming/burning/video related pc

My mom is not much into computers because she deals with them too much in her job.

Neither are really stupid with Computers, My dad knows quite a bit about hardware and stuff but im always the one fixing software related issues for him. 

Mind you, he did build computers like 20 years ago. He actually can assemble a PC today if he wants to.

My father can do some software related stuff better than I can.

Both my mother and father can type better than me.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

my step dad is an I.T. , so i think so xD , hes the reason i got into computers and building them ect. we always had like 3 or 4 computers laying around and tubs of parts in the basement lol 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Yea, my father is, but my mother doesn't really like them, but uses them

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

One knows how to change the RAM and install Ubutu! Sadly doesn't go much further than that...

"Of course, its trash," Luke, 2014

I'd say my parents are about average users for their age, the nice thing is that they usually embrace the new tech I throw at them.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Dad's into computers and he got me into the whole hardware spectrum when he build his pc, like age 10 or whenever sandy bridge and the 560 ti was out.

Mum knows how to use the internet and print and that's about it.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

My Dad was, he bought me a Sinclair ZX-81 in kit form (it was cheaper) and I built it with him, now that is going to give you a clue about my age!

My Mum was never into computers at all but for her she had no reason to ever use one.

As I am a parent now then I will answer for him, he's too young to be online, yes I am into computers. I'm building one for him now in my old LIan-Li PC60.