For Boinc Users - Tips, Tricks and FAQ - Updated Oct 2013

Hello Everyone, I think I have got Boinc going and am in the team. Doing alot of crunching on my i5 3570k machine that I built because of LINUS! :D

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

Hi,

Brainiac77, I found that I couldn't find my post for 2 reasons.

1) I needed to sign in

2) you need to get to page 2. I manually have to type in page 2 then I can see it. I'll talk Slick about that to see if he can fix to problem.

Rankupgamers, did you join the LinusTechTips_Team , and if you did what is your user name?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, from what i can find quickly online, bionic sounds like an amazing project to be a part of

Could someone please tell me more about this project?

- How much of idle time will it consume?

- Does it manage idle time well? i.e. how responsive it it to background the running process, in preference for a user application?

- Does it have ongoing Internet usage?

- If i were to run this on my main PC, how much of an overall performance hit would i take?

- Stability effects and security

- What does it look like while running?

- What projects do people support?

- (for the super geeky people, how does this program work?)

i think that this is something i would love to do, and i am sure that others would too, however i'd love to hear from people who actually run it.

Feel happy to be on the team! Had I known about this, would have joined earlier.
Sorry, did not notice the reply. My username is Brain on the team.

so im onna sound stupid but i tried to see what boinc is and theres like alot of things that it does? is the researching specific to the team ? and if so what is this team focusing on :)

Hey guys, from what i can find quickly online, bionic sounds like an amazing project to be a part of

Could someone please tell me more about this project?

- How much of idle time will it consume?

- Does it manage idle time well? i.e. how responsive it it to background the running process, in preference for a user application?

- Does it have ongoing Internet usage?

- If i were to run this on my main PC, how much of an overall performance hit would i take?

- Stability effects and security

- What does it look like while running?

- What projects do people support?

- (for the super geeky people, how does this program work?)

i think that this is something i would love to do, and i am sure that others would too, however i'd love to hear from people who actually run it.

i just saw your post and i hope its not too late you can configure boinc extensively (like work this days at this hours only if this apps not working and cpu usage is below %10) managing idle time yes there is like only 1 or 2 seconds of idle time maximum , i only let boinc run when im sleeping or at outside , if your pc passes all stabilization tests no problem with boinc , seti have an screensaver(http://johnnymackintosh.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/johnny-mackintoshs-seti-screensaver.jpg) i personally dont use them because most of the time boinc works my monitor is turned off , user interface is fine for me and i really dont care its easy to manage through for me,boinc definitely wont make my time front of the pc any different , i work with vs mssql and few virtual machines i also play games on this and i never had issues with it (maybe because i configured quite amazing for my usage)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

so im onna sound stupid but i tried to see what boinc is and theres like alot of things that it does? is the researching specific to the team ? and if so what is this team focusing on :)
if you mean projects by saying teams;

seti (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) search's for any intelligent creature on space

milkyway = maps the milkyway galaxy and so on you can check each projects website for more information

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I think you're asking if the LinusTechTips team is restricted to only one research project. If that's the question, then no. You can sign up to as many different projects as you want and have each of them associated with the LTT team.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chronosprime,

There are many projects and different types of projects to chose from. Here's a link with most of the projects and their type so you may chose the ones you like to do.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

I found that the folding team only work on Protein folding, but the boinc projects has all type from Chemistry, Physics, Humanitarian research on disease, and Astrophysics. And the list goes on.....

With the Boinc program you may throttle the speed and/or the amount of time per day you want to run the program. You have all the control.

Here's another link that give you the web address of the different projects to add to your list.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Project_list

hey happy to join the team !!

is there any project preference ?

what doesn't kill me, level me up !

I think that is the point of Boinc - you can pick which ever project appeals to you. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hi,

Like Whaler99 said in his post.  You can do the projects that makes you feel good like the "World Commity Grid" fo research includes HIV/AIDS, cancer, muscular dystrophy, dengue fever, and many more.  Or, go into a project at does math or even look for extraterrestrial.  and many more to pick from.

If you use only your cpu (and depends on the size) you will get some point.  But if you like to use your cpu and gpu, the point are much greater.

you may even want to set up the Boinc program so when you are using  your comp, it will shut down on it's own.  Play with the settings to get the best that you want to get out of your comp and be happy with what you are doing. 

Sole people run the comps only at night or at full time.  What ever you do be comfortable with it. 

GO TEAM...

What is Bonic? I'm sorry I dont follow  :(

joined the linus team , same username as forum name and as this pc stays on 24/7 should pump some numbers out :D

What is Bonic? I'm sorry I dont follow  :(

Boinc is similar to Folding - you install a program and it uses your systems free cycles to processing algorithms. In essence, you become part of a distributed network. Where Folding is only focused on protein folding for research, with Boinc you have the option to work on one or even a variety of projects, including research, SETI, math, etc.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Thanks Whaler, for all your help with this and all the other work you do for this forum in othe threads.

Slick tells me how awesome you are.

Thank you.

Thanks Whaler, for all your help with this and all the other work you do for this forum in othe threads.

Slick tells me how awesome you are.

Thank you.

Thanks! Try and do my bit...

just finished the live stream archive of may 3rd, heard something about folding stuff. had to get in on it. have some of my spare jigahurtz of my use to be awesome still decent but not BA i7-860

also ive been watching linustechtips since orignial camera man, and love where slick and linus have taken the channel, i wish i could be more involved.

Hi guys. I just join to the community and also at the Boinc team. I have a FX-4100 at 3.9 Ghz and a GeForce 9600 GT. I hope colaborate all i can. 

Pd: I'm from Spain, sorry for the bad spelling :(.

just finished the live stream archive of may 3rd, heard something about folding stuff. had to get in on it. have some of my spare jigahurtz of my use to be awesome still decent but not BA i7-860

also ive been watching linustechtips since orignial camera man, and love where slick and linus have taken the channel, i wish i could be more involved.

Well, this is definitely one way to get involved and helping to make LinusTechTips a known quantity out there in the tech world...

Wooow... I don't know when the last BOINC update came out, but I just installed it today (I've only been doing this for like a month) and suddenly my GPU (7950) is spitting out WU like no tomorrow

Edit: To elaborate, my average went from like 1000 to 10 000 and It's only been running for 12 hours.

Wooow... I don't know when the last BOINC update came out, but I just installed it today (I've only been doing this for like a month) and suddenly my GPU (7950) is spitting out WU like no tomorrow

Edit: To elaborate, my average went from like 1000 to 10 000 and It's only been running for 12 hours.

Always a nice treat! :)

Which Project do you support? 

Because all the SETI cuda_fermi WUs aborted on my mashine -.-

Which Project do you support? 

Because all the SETI cuda_fermi WUs aborted on my mashine -.-

I'm running Milkyway. For due diligence, my machine is an 8350 OCd to 4.4 and a Powercolor 7950 running 1023/1500 (Full Throttle on the LTT team... and yes, I did just gain like 20 positions this week)

I have noticed that I seem to clear all the ATI work units and then it just sticks to CPU until I manually update it. Is there a setting to force updates more frequently?

P.S. I was sooo worried that Colin would catch up (been away all weekend with the rig only running  half the day to save on electricity). Now that I'm home though, I hope I can stay ahead.