First Steps

SethDavis

So I'm considering doing some nice speakers finally. I'm totally ignorant on what I would need. 1500 sq. ft. looking to use for movies and games...$300 to start I assume I'll buy in poeces over time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117403

Is this a terrible start?

Note: I have no speakers so even bookshelf speakers would be a nice start

Those look good, but be sure to spend a decent amount on the center speaker since it's pretty important. 

Those look good, but be sure to spend a decent amount on the center speaker since it's pretty important.

Recommendations? I'm new to this so I don't even really understand what I need.

Monoprice and fluance (canadian company) both make really good budget 5.1 systems. You just need to add a receiver and you're off to the races

The monoprice 8247 5.1 system is smaller and designed to be more discrete, whereas the fluance htvb system has big impressive floor speakers. Now that i think of it, you may need to add a sub to the fluance system as well if you needed it.

You could do the monoprice system (only $85) and a used receiver for at or under 300 i would think.

The fluance system, while more upscale, also costs $250cad and requires a receiver and sub.

Just my $0.02.

Hope this helps

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

Another direction would be to invest in a good receiver, good center, and good r/l channels and add the rest later.

Alot of ht geeks recommend the piece together as you can instead of buying cheap.

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White