Lukes idea, I like it. I think we should attempt it!

HeyKitty

buying? did you see tony stark sell jarvis? im not selling if i do this. either its gonna be open source or the rest of the world can fuck off

LOL, OK. I kinda meant they'd buy a system that RUNS the software, not the software itself. :P A system would definitely, for the average tech-clueless consumer, cost money, if only in installation fees.

I am completely pro-open-source. :)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

yeah but does open source mean some stupid company also cant take it and sell it because i wouldnt want some off brand to be sold

I believe if it's open source anyone could edit it to their liking, not sure about selling it though. Look at Android, there's TouchWiz, Sense, LG's Optimus-whatever UI, Xperia UI, Stock Android and so on. Android itself is a fork of Linux, which is, of course, open source.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

If you're talking about making an always-on device you guys might want to look into a technique that I had the pleasure of working with in 2009. I haven't kept an eye on the research, but I imagine someone has improved it by this time. The particular algorithm I worked with was called Wake-Up-Word; the idea being to pick up on the particular word when it's in the correct context. For example, if your word is "Jarvis" you don't want to be talking in your house to a friend and say, "Yeah jarvis works very well, you should try it out!" and have the computer trying and figure out what you mean when you say "works bery well, you should try it out!". You would only want the system to pick up when you're addressing it directly instead of speaking about it. Here's the paper on Wake-Up-Word speech recognition: http://my.fit.edu/~vkepuska/share/MyPapers/WUWPaper.pdf  and it looks like it's been added to Sphinx as well.

A note, I won't be able to assist on the particulars of the algorithm as I only assisted in converting some C into ASM to make it run faster and I never really looked at the underlying theory behind it.

As many ppl have said u can use google's api so you dont actually have to program it to decypher speech. However you will have to map different inputs (as you would have to do even if you were just doing text input) to different functions, and if it were to be of any use, your house would have to be decently "connected". (ie: make me a cofee and the cofee machine turns on.)

Why even bother with installing microphones in the house? Why not just use a personal device such as your smartphone? You already have it on you at all times? Then you could have a computer connected to sensors, locks, speakers etc. in your house, which your personal device connects to when it is in range of your home WiFi.

Check out myEcho for inspiration: http://myechoapp.com/ you could probably do something similar with Siri if you have an iOS device. Otherwise Google has some text-to-speech libraries, which you could probably use on Android. However, I am not sure how precise they are. That is up to you to find out ;)

yeah but does open source mean some stupid company also cant take it and sell it because i wouldnt want some off brand to be sold

can always put it in the license, free for private use. commercial use is prohibited. then if a company does start selling it, bam smack em with the lawyer and a seize and desist and its done.

Why even bother with installing microphones in the house? Why not just use a personal device such as your smartphone? You already have it on you at all times? Then you could have a computer connected to sensors, locks, speakers etc. in your house, which your personal device connects to when it is in range of your home WiFi.

Check out myEcho for inspiration: http://myechoapp.com/ you could probably do something similar with Siri if you have an iOS device. Otherwise Google has some text-to-speech libraries, which you could probably use on Android. However, I am not sure how precise they are. That is up to you to find out ;)

Wouldn't be bad. Have the server announce itself on the network similar to a bonjour service so that any client connected to say the wireless network can easily find the server and not require configuration

LOL, OK. I kinda meant they'd buy a system that RUNS the software, not the software itself. :P A system would definitely, for the average tech-clueless consumer, cost money, if only in installation fees.

I am completely pro-open-source. :)

i like that, only thing being sold is preconfigured plug and play boxes. Or you can download source, build, and go on your merry way

well thanks for the offer but itss ok. if you dont have any programming knowledge thats fine. i just thought as people seemed to be interested , that someone besides me also actually wanted to do this.

I'm fairly good with Java. But would be willing to work with other languages and learn anything needed. Couldn't commit say 40 hours a week to it, but sometime on the weekends definitely

I'm fairly good with Java. But would be willing to work with other languages and learn anything needed. Couldn't commit say 40 hours a week to it, but sometime on the weekends definitely

yeah well im working full time too so i would only be able to dedicate a few hours every other day and of course the weekends but this is not about hitting the dead line this is about growing a projekt step by step and if it takes longer than fine. so i get it, that you are interested? that would be great maybe write me a pm with your contacts so we can figure out a schedule

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I had this idea not long ago myself...

I thought of running Android on a Pi or BeagleBone and then having mic input and speaker output directed to/from different rooms using an arduino or something. Then you have android sitting on the home screen (as it were) and you can just say "ok, google" when you need to ask something...

That might be the easiest way of doing it, anyway... At least, for me.

So I have heard the Luke talk about an idea where he would have a mic and speakers in every room and it would basically be a J.A.R.V.I.S.

I love this idea, but I know nothing about programming (aside from cisco CLI), but I am willing to learn a new language!

I don't know what I'm typing about. Any wise words?

i have a semi working script for this i attempted in python but it became unscusessful as i am waiting for teh api's to be updated

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}