Lukes idea, I like it. I think we should attempt it!

HeyKitty

So I have heard the Luke talk about an idea where he would have a mic and speakers in every room and it would basically be a J.A.R.V.I.S.

I love this idea, but I know nothing about programming (aside from cisco CLI), but I am willing to learn a new language!

I don't know what I'm typing about. Any wise words?

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

It would be a neat project to do. It requires both working with software (making the program to do everything) and hardware (spreading all the required devices throughout the house). Tough, but certainly not impossible depending on what you wanted the program to do

You should learn to program before you tackle such a project though. Interacting with hardware, working with speech, handling networking, etc aren't trivial things. They are intermediate/advanced topics so you'll want to work up to it.

Let's first start with listing the software invoked here. You need text to speech and vice versa. You need artificial intelligence capable of parsing the human language and identifying keywords. Then it needs to be web connected to get latest content on new topics. Maybe even sync calendar events to say google calendar. Next it's gotta learn how people it deals with talk. Not every talks the same way. It's gotta be capable of multiple interactions at one time with different people. Otherwise this would be a shitty system. Hardware should be efficiently used or it will be bloated to data center size.

Is it impossible? No. Is it hard? Oh fuck ya

Let's first start with listing the software invoked here. You need text to speech and vice versa. You need artificial intelligence capable of parsing the human language and identifying keywords. Then it needs to be web connected to get latest content on new topics. Maybe even sync calendar events to say google calendar. Next it's gotta learn how people it deals with talk. Not every talks the same way. It's gotta be capable of multiple interactions at one time with different people. Otherwise this would be a shitty system. Hardware should be efficiently used or it will be bloated to data center size.

Is it impossible? No. Is it hard? Oh fuck ya

why does it need to keep up with multiple conversations at the same time?  that seems more like an extra thing to add, I was thinking to start with music and easy web stuff...

why does it need to keep up with multiple conversations at the same time?  that seems more like an extra thing to add, I was thinking to start with music and easy web stuff...

I would probably start testing it with wolfram alpha queries first, just because there's loads of stuff you can look up on it. It's a great way to test the speech recognition.

if you want to use it and then someone in another room does to, who goes first and who gets to wait? thats why it has to handle multiple conversations is so that more than one room can be interacting at a time

if you want to use it and then someone in another room does to, who goes first and who gets to wait? thats why it has to handle multiple conversations is so that more than one room can be interacting at a time

Oh, okay. That is something I have overlooked.  This may be avoidable by separating the mics? like mic01, mic02, mic03, ect. and each room gets a number?

Oh, okay. That is something I have overlooked.  This may be avoidable by separating the mics? like mic01, mic02, mic03, ect. and each room gets a number?

even if each room has a different mic, if its written to only handle one mic at a time, then when two mics go hot only one will be heard

definitly something ive been thinking about for a long time, maybe if we ddecided on a language some developers here could team up and if everyone does there part it should be easier and faster. i would suggest c# as a language as i have about 6 years of expierience in ti now and unless theres someone more expierenced i would also be willing to lead such a project. so if any developer out there or even beginner are to a fun challenge contact me and i will come up with a plan for this project according to how many and what kind of people sign up. this could be great...

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Its not THAT hard, just a bit of work

I remember years ago my friend added voice control to his PC, he even used some of the star trek noises, he could just go "computer" and it would beep and he could give it a command "play this song" "volume to 50%" etc

He started networking other devices to work with it but eventually gave up, I think with tech nowadays it would be WAY easier to do

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its not THAT hard, just a bit of work

I remember years ago my friend added voice control to his PC, he even used some of the star trek noises, he could just go "computer" and it would beep and he could give it a command "play this song" "volume to 50%" etc

He started networking other devices to work with it but eventually gave up, I think with tech nowadays it would be WAY easier to do

well a simple listen and do would be not that hard but if you want that thing so differentiate people and maybe also regulate the lights and heating...plus a silent peasant is not the goal. the goal is to create a social presence that answers and learns...surely work for a lifetime but it would be fun to have a ongoing project and see it grow with the years. although i would probably not release it as i wouldnt want company piking up on the code otherwise id make it opensource so everyone could work on their own and drive this thing forward

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

well a simple listen and do would be not that hard but if you want that thing so differentiate people and maybe also regulate the lights and heating...plus a silent peasant is not the goal. the goal is to create a social presence that answers and learns...surely work for a lifetime but it would be fun to have a ongoing project and see it grow with the years. although i would probably not release it as i wouldnt want company piking up on the code otherwise id make it opensource so everyone could work on their own and drive this thing forward

So basically programming an AI :P

pretty difficult to do, though would be amazing, I think something like siri for the house would be pretty easy though, so you can control, lights, heating, computers etc, and they can read stuff out like Siri, google now etc etc etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So basically programming an AI :P

pretty difficult to do, though would be amazing, I think something like siri for the house would be pretty easy though, so you can control, lights, heating, computers etc, and they can read stuff out like Siri, google now etc etc etc

yes basicly like siri, google now, or cortana but as a version where one can be sure it only does what its supposed to do and not spy on me. also if somethings not working at least ill know the code and can fix it myself.. also i could write my own moduls for controlling lights, heating, windows covers and pc and not pay crapmillion bucks for something dumm from some company that doesnt even go with voice commands. if you think about how much it costs to simply have an app with remotebuttons to control your house this thing will be stupid expensive so why not make my own

So basically Amazon Echo's Alexa (horrible name for a personal assistant, IMO) in every room and connected to your home's utilities? I like where this is going...

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Did you take a look at CMUSphinx project from Carnegie Mellon? Great open source voice/speech recognition toolkit that you can use in that project. 

http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/

looks pretty cool but is it c# compatible or only java? couldnt find too much information on their website

So basically Amazon Echo's Alexa (horrible name for a personal assistant, IMO) in every room and connected to your home's utilities? I like where this is going...

not knowing alexa id say yes . as said i think the thought was to have it be like siri for your home, without paying a butt-ton of cash for it.

on another note i just read up on cortana. they said its included in windows 10 if they release an api for it that could make things much easier

PocketSphinx, that is the speech recognizer, is written in C. 

For more info about softwares on their toolkit, check that link: http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/wiki/tutorialoverview

PS: Some people even "compiled"/converted(/whatever) PocketSphinx to Javascript using EMScripten (http://syl22-00.github.io/pocketsphinx.js/)

ohh i see. thanks 

on another note i just read up on cortana. they said its included in windows 10 if they release an api for it that could make things much easier

Oh, yeah, that would really help!

Is there a Google Now API? It's like 4x more accurate (2x as accurate as Siri, which in turn is 2x as accurate as Cortana).

This is a really good idea I could see many, many people buying, especially here in the US.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Oh, yeah, that would really help!

Is there a Google Now API? It's like 4x more accurate (2x as accurate as Siri, which in turn is 2x as accurate as Cortana).

This is a really good idea I could see many, many people buying, especially here in the US.

buying? did you see tony stark sell jarvis? im not selling if i do this. either its gonna be open source or the rest of the world can fuck off

buying? did you see tony stark sell jarvis? im not selling if i do this. either its gonna be open source or the rest of the world can fuck off

I agree open source is the way to go.  Just the hardware and expertise required for setup will be enough to keep some of the stupid people away.

I agree open source is the way to go.  Just the hardware and expertise required for setup will be enough to keep some of the stupid people away.

yeah but does open source mean some stupid company also cant take it and sell it because i wouldnt want some off brand to be sold

really? nobody? nobody interested in making this with ? fine than ill do it on my own. ...with black jack and hookers

really? nobody? nobody interested in making this with ? fine than ill do it on my own. ...with black jack and hookers

I can give ideas, but my lack of knowing a programming language would make me rather useless.

Best help I can give is just testing/finding bugs.

EDIT: unless it were to be something simple like going in and changing some strings so that when you ask something the program answers differently. Such as:

You: What is the weather today?

Bot answer 1: tToday is rather cold, and fifty percent chance of rain.

Bot A2: It's a little cold, and a good chance of rain. I'd suggest you take a jacket

Bot A3: You're going to want a jacket today, and an umbrella, it is going to be chilly and it'd probably rain only when you're outside!

Bot A4: Oh yeah, lemme look that up. Ah, looks like a pretty nasty day, cold and wet.

Of course those can be better and more descriptive, just giving an example of something I could help with... I dont know, I want to help, but just too stupid! :)

I can give ideas, but my lack of knowing a programming language would make me rather useless.

Best help I can give is just testing/finding bugs.

well thanks for the offer but itss ok. if you dont have any programming knowledge thats fine. i just thought as people seemed to be interested , that someone besides me also actually wanted to do this.

well thanks for the offer but itss ok. if you dont have any programming knowledge thats fine. i just thought as people seemed to be interested , that someone besides me also actually wanted to do this.

Hey I went to edit and realized it was enough for a second post. but ohwell, this is just to let you know I added more.