Seagate now shipping $260 8TB HDD, 3 cents per gig

Nope, WD's 10TB will be coming out in 7200 RPM. Seagate just fell behind, as usual.

Exciting! However, I do believe that WD is using Helium filled tech for their 10TB drives, which as I understand it, is a more expensive (and faster/better) technology compared to Shingled tech.

Google doesn't even run enterprise grade drives and they're fine (Source: Dr. Keith Fricken, current google DBA and former professor of Miami University).

True, but google also has proper climate controlled data centres. Each and every rack in one of their data centres is most likely carefully monitored for temperature changes.

Some joker at home stuffing 10x 1TB Barracudas into a Antec Case inside his closet is not likely to have proper climate control going on. (FYI I'm not referencing anyone in particular).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

150MB/s isn't that bad considering how much storage you have on that drive. Considering that a WD Black is about the same speed.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Exciting! However, I do believe that WD is using Helium filled tech for their 10TB drives, which as I understand it, is a more expensive (and faster/better) technology compared to Shingled tech.

True, but google also has proper climate controlled data centres. Each and every rack in one of their data centres is most likely carefully monitored for temperature changes.

Some joker at home stuffing 10x 1TB Barracudas into a Antec Case inside his closet is not likely to have proper climate control going on. (FYI I'm not referencing anyone in particular).

Both. Helium for platter count and SMR for data density per platter.

Their datacenters are maintained at 77-85F. Not exactly cool...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Their datacenters are maintained at 77-85F. Not exactly cool...

True, but still within the rated range of operation. The advantage of climate control is that their system prevents the drives from 1) Getting too hot (absolute temperature),  2) From changing temperature too rapidly and 3) Getting too humid.

Google also has highly available systems, so they can afford to use cheap drives (downtime on a server doesn't take down the rest of the system).

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Wow, that's actually a really good price. That's like 3x 1tb WD blacks

Edit: And like 2x WD 2tb blacks

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Yes they are huge,but I'm not quite comfortable archiving my data on this drives lol

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Yes they are huge,but I'm not quite comfortable archiving my data on this drives lol

Why? Is there a reason for your discomfort?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why? Is there a reason for your discomfort?

Idk probably the fact that its cheap and low performance, do you think it will last a long time?

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

guys remmeber it might be best to wait a couple months to see if these things are actually reliable. but if they are, then that is great I want need one!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Idk probably the fact that its cheap and low performance, do you think it will last a long time?

I do think it will last a long time. It's in the HDD manufacturers best interest to make reliable drives, as the more drives that fail = lower profit margins, since they'll have to do more repairs/replacements.

Due to countless incidents where Seagate products have failed, I have lost all faith in their products, as they fail on me time and time again.. to the point of not bothering with RMA. So a 8TB drive from them sounds like 260$ straight out the window.

^^ This

^^ This

You sir are just as unlucky as @Manifold then :P As many many more of us has had dozens of Seagate drives with no failures. If it keeps happening over and over again, then there's likely some external influence that is causing the failures (Bad postal service that's too rough, bad packaging, a defective component such as PSU, etc).

Either that, or you're literally just unlucky, and YOU happen to coincidentally be the one buying the very low amount of defective HDD's that come out of the factory.

150MBps is not bad a nas with a 1gbps port max out at 128MPps so as nas drive the network would be the botelneck