EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Superclocked. My first flagship GPU.

DutchessGummyBuns

EDIT: Thank you, LinusTechTips for featuring my review in your Coil Whine As Fast As Possible! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: If you already looked into the GTX 980; some of this information will be redundant to you. However, I would appreciate you reading and giving feedback as this is my first review of a GPU

Here's a quick look at the 980. It's not going to be your typical review, rather a look at the Maxwell architecture, and what it gives in comparison to the previous Kepler architecture in the flagship 700 series GPUs.

Why isn't there a huge performance increase like we usually see?

We used to see huge jumps in performance across generations, due to TSMC developing new nodes (or manufacturing process) every 1-2 years. GPU manufacturers would take advantage of these improved nodes to pack in more and more goodies into their chips, resulting in better performance. TSMC has been virtually stuck in the same 28nm node process for the past 4 years, breaking the usual advancement in GPU technology, based off of new manufacture processes. Nvidia basically had to rethink how they wanted to develop the latest generation, so as a result; here comes Maxwell.

What does Maxwell offer compared to Kepler?

Lets keep to the gist of it; the GM204 Maxwell chip we see in the GTX 980/970, is essentially a beefed up GM107 Kepler chip we see in the previous 700 series. More has been added in (you can read up on the specifics HERE: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/3 ) and the LAYOUT of the chip's contents has resulted in a more efficient processor, which beats out the GK110 Kepler based GTX 780Ti, but not by a huge margin.

Should I upgrade to this GPU from my GTX 780 or 780Ti?

Honestly? No. The performance increases are really meant to be an incentive to upgrade from the GTX 500 or 600 series of GPUs, at around 70%. However, the better power consumption, and native DX12 support could be a strong selling point. More on this in a sec.

What's new with Maxwell?

-Better power consumption, with a total TDP of 165 watts, compared to the 256 watt TDP of the 780. Great energy saver.

-Native DX12 support. This is the first card to support the upcoming DX12 API from Microsoft. Were hoping to see jumps in performance when DX12 comes out, much like AMD's Mantle.

-MFAA a more efficient anti- aliasing, giving the quality of 4xMSAA at the cost of 2xMSAA.

-VXGI a new, innovative global illumination method, resulting in much more accurate lighting pretty stuff.

-DSR, or Dynamic Super Resolution. This feature renders games at a higher resolution than your monitor supports, then downscales the image to your monitor, resulting in a crisper image with less aliasing. Better for older games.

How does it perform?

It performs slightly better than the GTX 780Ti, anywhere from 10%-25% depending on the game, Some games are on par or lose to the 780Ti. Like I stated, the card wasnt meant to have a jaw- dropping performance increase, especially apparent due to the 28nm Node process still being used. 

How's the overclocking?

Overclocking the GTX 980 is a whole new story. I actually reached my TDP and throttled FASTER when increasing my voltage. I left the voltage alone, and achieved a staggering 1.45Ghz Core Clock, and 8Ghz Memory Clock. That's just awesome. 

Final words?

I upgraded from a MSI GTX 760. The performance difference is AWESOME. Im still currently gaming at 1080p, and I can easily his 60+ FPS on any game. I have gamed at 1440p at a buddy's house, and it performed awesome with some settings dropped down. The only games that I had to lower some settings at 1080p were Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3 and 4, and Tomb Raider 2013. I wont give this the typical out of 10 rating, as I think that system is broke as F**k. Here's my OWN rating system:

This rating system is determined off the ability to hit 60 fps plus performance on ANY game at High to Ultra settings, AA and Ambient Occlusion included:

1080p or less? Check.

1440p? Check, but SLI is recommended.

4k? Not quite there. SLI will still get you sub- 60fps on almost all AAA games.

CPU: i5-3570k @4.6Ghz MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67 GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Superclocked Reference @1.5Ghz Core, 8Ghz Memory

RAM: Crucial Ballistix tactical tracer 8GB  PSU: Cooler Master V700 Fully Modular CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i Water Cooler

CASE: Corsair Graphite 760T STORAGE: Two 240 GB Crucial M500 SSD RAID 0 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB cache 7200RPM 

Nice review!

Thanks, Boss :)

CPU: i5-3570k @4.6Ghz MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67 GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Superclocked Reference @1.5Ghz Core, 8Ghz Memory

RAM: Crucial Ballistix tactical tracer 8GB  PSU: Cooler Master V700 Fully Modular CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i Water Cooler

CASE: Corsair Graphite 760T STORAGE: Two 240 GB Crucial M500 SSD RAID 0 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB cache 7200RPM 

TSMC has been virtually stuck in the same 28nm node process for the past 4 years, breaking the usual advancement in GPU technology, based off of new manufacture processes

Whilst it's true this failure to move to a smaller process is the fault of TSMC, it's not because they can't produce smaller. TSMC have moved on from 28nm - they yields are just too low (and therefore too cost-prohibitive for millions of chips) for Nvidia.

TSMC are currently producing 16nm even - I will be fortunate enough to be using a 16nm product from them in March next year.

Whilst it's true this failure to move to a smaller process is the fault of TSMC, it's not because they can't produce smaller. TSMC have moved on from 28nm - they yields are just too low (and therefore too cost-prohibitive for millions of chips) for Nvidia.

TSMC are currently producing 16nm even - I will be fortunate enough to be using a 16nm product from them in March next year.

yeah they've been using the smaller nodes with the new snapdragon and apple A8 microprocessors. I should've included that, but I was trying to keep the info strictly GPU based. Thanks for the criticism :)

Sweet review! do you happen to model in 3dsmax ? I am having trouble looking for reviews / graphs for Vray.

Sweet review! do you happen to model in 3dsmax ? I am having trouble looking for reviews / graphs for Vray.

Disclaimer: If you already looked into the GTX 980; some of this information will be redundant to you. However, I would appreciate you reading and giving feedback as this is my first review of a GPU

Here's a quick look at the 980. It's not going to be your typical review, rather a look at the Maxwell architecture, and what it gives in comparison to the previous Kepler architecture in the flagship 700 series GPUs.

Why isn't there a huge performance increase like we usually see?

We used to see huge jumps in performance across generations, due to TSMC developing new nodes (or manufacturing process) every 1-2 years. GPU manufacturers would take advantage of these improved nodes to pack in more and more goodies into their chips, resulting in better performance. TSMC has been virtually stuck in the same 28nm node process for the past 4 years, breaking the usual advancement in GPU technology, based off of new manufacture processes. Nvidia basically had to rethink how they wanted to develop the latest generation, so as a result; here comes Maxwell.

What does Maxwell offer compared to Kepler?

Lets keep to the gist of it; the GM204 Maxwell chip we see in the GTX 980/970, is essentially a beefed up GM107 Kepler chip we see in the previous 700 series. More has been added in (you can read up on the specifics HERE: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/3 ) and the LAYOUT of the chip's contents has resulted in a more efficient processor, which beats out the GK110 Kepler based GTX 780Ti, but not by a huge margin.

Should I upgrade to this GPU from my GTX 780 or 780Ti?

Honestly? No. The performance increases are really meant to be an incentive to upgrade from the GTX 500 or 600 series of GPUs, at around 70%. However, the better power consumption, and native DX12 support could be a strong selling point. More on this in a sec.

What's new with Maxwell?

-Better power consumption, with a total TDP of 165 watts, compared to the 256 watt TDP of the 780. Great energy saver.

-Native DX12 support. This is the first card to support the upcoming DX12 API from Microsoft. Were hoping to see jumps in performance when DX12 comes out, much like AMD's Mantle.

-MFAA a more efficient anti- aliasing, giving the quality of 4xMSAA at the cost of 2xMSAA.

-VXGI a new, innovative global illumination method, resulting in much more accurate lighting pretty stuff.

-DSR, or Dynamic Super Resolution. This feature renders games at a higher resolution than your monitor supports, then downscales the image to your monitor, resulting in a crisper image with less aliasing. Better for older games.

How does it perform?

It performs slightly better than the GTX 780Ti, anywhere from 10%-25% depending on the game, Some games are on par or lose to the 780Ti. Like I stated, the card wasnt meant to have a jaw- dropping performance increase, especially apparent due to the 28nm Node process still being used. 

How's the overclocking?

Overclocking the GTX 980 is a whole new story. I actually reached my TDP and throttled FASTER when increasing my voltage. I left the voltage alone, and achieved a staggering 1.45Ghz Core Clock, and 8Ghz Memory Clock. That's just awesome. 

Final words?

I upgraded from a MSI GTX 760. The performance difference is AWESOME. Im still currently gaming at 1080p, and I can easily his 60+ FPS on any game. I have gamed at 1440p at a buddy's house, and it performed awesome with some settings dropped down. The only games that I had to lower some settings at 1080p were Metro Last Light, Far Cry 3 and 4, and Tomb Raider 2013. I wont give this the typical out of 10 rating, as I think that system is broke as F**k. Here's my OWN rating system:

This rating system is determined off the ability to hit 60 fps plus performance on ANY game at High to Ultra settings, AA and Ambient Occlusion included:

1080p or less? Check.

1440p? Check, but SLI is recommended.

4k? Not quite there. SLI will still get you sub- 60fps on almost all AAA games.

HI, could you help educate me on Dx12? I know it's to be released soon enough, what cards support it? What will the differences be between it an x11? Do I need to upgrade my GTX 970 to take advantage of it? Thanks.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

HI, could you help educate me on Dx12? I know it's to be released soon enough, what cards support it? What will the differences be between it an x11? Do I need to upgrade my GTX 970 to take advantage of it? Thanks.

Supposedly everything that supports dx11 will support 12.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

DX12 is a new API from Microsoft. Here's the definition of API:

API, an abbreviation of application program interface, is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. The API specifies how software components should interact and are used when programming graphical user interface (GUI) components.

In short, DirectX is the tool used by all developers to make games for windows. Another gaming related API you may have heard of include OpenGL, which is an API that can be used across multiple platforms, like Mac to Windows to Linux. APIs are not limited to just games. APIs are used to create ANY software.

DX11 is the most updated microsoft API that almost all modern Triple-A games are made with. Older games you find can still use DX10 and lower.

DX12 is the next installment of the DX API. The API is one of the major factors in game performance and graphics fidelity. I dont have exact specifications on DX12 to work off here, so i'll keep it simple: DX12 will allow games to run better, and look better. 

Graphics cards need native hardware and software support for a specific API in order for it to work. A card that supports DX11, will support all older versions of DirectX, but not the other way around.

Currently, the Geforce GTX 900 series are the first consumer dedicated GPUs to support DX12. 700 series or lower will not support them. You say you have a 970, so you're all set :)

The early access development kit for DX12 recently released alongside the 900 series. So not too far in the future, we will see games running off DX12, and you will be able to run them :)

HOPE THIS HELPS! 

Good review. But this is such a broad and popular topic that it just adding to the huge pile of other reviews.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Supposedly everything that supports dx11 will support 12.

True, but it wont have as much of a gain as a natively supported card

Good review. But this is such a broad and popular topic that it just adding to the huge pile of other reviews.

Did... did you not see the bold disclaimer at the top of the review?...

DX12 is a new API from Microsoft. Here's the definition of API:

API, an abbreviation of application program interface, is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. The API specifies how software components should interact and are used when programming graphical user interface (GUI) components.

In short, DirectX is the tool used by all developers to make games for windows. Another gaming related API you may have heard of include OpenGL, which is an API that can be used across multiple platforms, like Mac to Windows to Linux. APIs are not limited to just games. APIs are used to create ANY software.

DX11 is the most updated microsoft API that almost all modern Triple-A games are made with. Older games you find can still use DX10 and lower.

DX12 is the next installment of the DX API. The API is one of the major factors in game performance and graphics fidelity. I dont have exact specifications on DX12 to work off here, so i'll keep it simple: DX12 will allow games to run better, and look better. 

Graphics cards need native hardware and software support for a specific API in order for it to work. A card that supports DX11, will support all older versions of DirectX, but not the other way around.

Currently, the Geforce GTX 900 series are the first consumer dedicated GPUs to support DX12. 700 series or lower will not support them. You say you have a 970, so you're all set :)

The early access development kit for DX12 recently released alongside the 900 series. So not too far in the future, we will see games running off DX12, and you will be able to run them :)

HOPE THIS HELPS! 

Yeah, that is awesome! Just the way I read it in your OP made it sound like the 980 was the only one that could run it. You said something along the lines of "the first card" that could run this. Just wanted to be sure. Well I am so happy to hear my 970 will be able to use it. I did a little research after you mentioned it and read some stuff on Dx12 but it seems like a lot of rumors and stuff atm and nothing official to go on. Well I'll be pretty excited to upgrade to W10 and Dx12 later this year as I plan on keeping this 970 for a while.

Thanks for the post!

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Did... did you not see the bold disclaimer at the top of the review?...

Restatement is nicer than what I was going to say. 

Yeah, that is awesome! Just the way I read it in your OP made it sound like the 980 was the only one that could run it. You said something along the lines of "the first card" that could run this. Just wanted to be sure. Well I am so happy to hear my 970 will be able to use it. I did a little research after you mentioned it and read some stuff on Dx12 but it seems like a lot of rumors and stuff atm and nothing official to go on. Well I'll be pretty excited to upgrade to W10 and Dx12 later this year as I plan on keeping this 970 for a while.

Thanks for the post!

Yeah i should fix that. The 900 SERIES is the first to support DX12 nativlely. And keep that 970, it's a boss GPU. In fact, try to SLI in the future, when the prices drop :)

Yeah i should fix that. The 900 SERIES is the first to support DX12 nativlely. And keep that 970, it's a boss GPU. In fact, try to SLI in the future, when the prices drop :)

Yeah unless something amazing comes out in the next 6 months for GPUs, that's the plan!

Restatement is nicer than what I was going to say. 

Then maybe you should have just read the disclaimer, and moved on your merry way.

Yeah unless something amazing comes out in the next 6 months for GPUs, that's the plan!

Oh god i cant wait to see maxwell architecture implemented into a smaller node. All those awesome features WITH the huge performance jump? I smell either a new line coming, or a 980Ti in the near future.

Then maybe you should have just read the disclaimer, and moved on your merry way.

It did not say "No negative opinions" 

I was going to go on about how SLI 700 series cards were a bit different, but I gave up, and did not feel the need. 

It did not say "No negative opinions" 

I was going to go on about how SLI 700 series cards were a bit different, but I gave up, and did not feel the need. 

I was asking for criticism about the contents of the review. I put the disclaimer there for a reason. I knew that information would be redundant to some people, so your comment was unnecessary. There's going to be a lot of reviews for a single product on the internet. That's just how it is. Deal with it. At least it was the first thing i identified before the content was even written. 

Dang your review showed up in the latest TechQuickie video!   :D

http://youtu.be/T7HsXHqtxrI?t=2m59s

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

Dang your review showed up in the latest TechQuickie video! :D

http://youtu.be/T7HsXHqtxrI?

t=2m59s

I know I saw I'm so happy lol :D

Do you like it? It is this or the strix for me.

Im loving the reference card so far. I wanted the reference because i think the design is sexy, and fits my build really well. The strix is awesome too, and you'll probably get much better temps and overclocking than the reference. It comes down to your preference :)