Bad Dad! (HTPC or XBone or PS4)

Hey guys,

My dad is planning on getting a console for playing games and watching films in the living room, however I want him to get a HTPC instead running steam OS or linux, he thinks that PC's are too expensive and he can't stand the noise (past expirence from when I broke my fan controller)

I would like a HTPC that stays quiet, is same price/cheaper than console, just parts (I'll build it), nice looking case and can play games also.

if you guys could give me suggestions that would be great,

:D   Many Thanks 8enjicraf2:D

​Nothing Screams Professional Other Than Comic Sans

My Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bQVfqs

Dark Theme, GG

Steam OS is nowhere near ready to compete with xbone or ps4. So just get a console. Ps4 because uncharted 4 looks amazing.

OR you can get windows. But then it will be twice as expensive atleast.

I know just shoot me, but yeah steam OS is still just linux.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yeah in this case it probably makes sense to get a console... depending on how tech savy your dad is a console is the best solution.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Do you already have a gaming PC? Because if you do XBMCbuntu and in-home streaming make the most sense, powered by a reasonably cheap APU.

If it's going to be running the games itself though I wouldn't go lower than £500. I wouldn't buy a PS4 either because it's awful, but so is anything at its price.

I wouldn't build a PC that's less than a PS4 though. I'd probably go as low as about £500

It would be possible to go lower, but then you would still need windows (get real linux ppl), xbox controller, a wireless keyboard and mouse. Where console has all those things included.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: Xbox one controller  ($60.00)
Total: $545.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-08 15:15 EST-0500

if you care about size.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A58M-HD2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($46.48 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: Xbox one controller  ($60.00)
Total: $498.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-08 15:16 EST-0500

if you don't care about size

Both include an xbox one controller to use with the PC. If that doesn't interest you, -60$ to the price.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It would be possible to go lower, but then you would still need windows (get real linux ppl), xbox controller, a wireless keyboard and mouse. Where console has all those things included.

At UK pricing you can match the price with Windows, so you can go a bit lower without. I wouldn't go lower than an R7 260X paired with a G3258, though, so maybe that's the difference. Some people would. Windows would be good if you want to use this as a blu ray player, which I would if I were building a HTPC, but again a lot of people just use Netflix or whatever so wouldn't care about that. If they were streaming from elsewhere and didn't have to run the game on the HTPC itself there's no real reason to bother including Windows.

The main advantage of using XBMCbuntu if possible would be that the interface is designed to work with a living room style remote control, rather than necessarily requiring a mouse and keyboard.

This is what I would do it is more expensive than consoles, but you would save on games on the way and it is more powerful.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($111.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.84 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Other: xbone controller or smth ($60.00)
Total: $665.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-08 15:22 EST-0500

Spoiler

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Hey guys,

My dad is planning on getting a console for playing games and watching films in the living room, however I want him to get a HTPC instead running steam OS or linux, he thinks that PC's are too expensive and he can't stand the noise (past expirence from when I broke my fan controller)

I would like a HTPC that stays quiet, is same price/cheaper than console, just parts (I'll build it), nice looking case and can play games also.

if you guys could give me suggestions that would be great,

:D   Many Thanks 8enjicraf2:D

If your dad plays games, Xbox One may be simpler for him to operate (online play is well established as well). Though not as flexible as a PC, it does play more formats than the PS4 and can work as a media center.

A gaming-capable HTPC is nice, but will likely cost more (especially since most PC games are designed to operate under Windows). Looking for nice components and a decent psu/case will elevate the cost a bit more still. PCs that cost the same as consoles generally don't perform as well (not because of hardware shortcomings but because of software optimization).

most people who play games on their tv generally do not want to deal with driver issues of the PC. just want to play them game not worry about getting the optimal performance for 1 game then another setting for the next.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($84.97 @ Directron) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $556.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 00:27 EST-0500

it's 550-ish bucks but you can save 100 by not buying Windows and using Linux instead. I recommend installing XBMC along with a 360 controller (assuming you got one). If you really need to save money find cheaper ram, cause vengeance is a little expensive, go for like a 1 stick of 8 or 4 gigs. It should be very small and offer about the same amount of performance as the PS4 and Xbox one with the R7 260X. It may be a little loud with the stock fan so if you have ANY extra cash perhaps pick up a H55 or some other kind of cooler

Edit: if 500 dollars is your budget and you're not using windows, then I would highly recommend upgrading the GPU to something like a 760 ITX just make sure it'll fit in the elite 110 since it's so small

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Start by watching the video linus made specifically for this purpose; building a comparable pc to beat the next gen consoles for the same price.

But guessing your dad isn't very tech friendly, you are probably best dealing with the simplicity of an xbone or ps4 (no driver issues, weird updates, etc...)

Just my $0.02

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White