please help I am having major issues with gtx 770

I just installed the new gtx 770 gainward phantom.

My problems started right from the get go. Due to the limited space in my bitfenix prodigy I had to remove the plastic shroud to make the card fit, even then the heatsink actually touches the side panel.

My next problem is with drivers (at least I think its that) any game I try and play crashes within a minute of playing and temps get really high 90c+. But its not just games even when I try to refresh the windows performace assesment thing it stops due to driver issues.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could fix this?

Will getting a bigger case and putting the plastic shroud back on help?

Do you think the card is faulty and needs to be returned or should I  wait for a driver update before I start using it again?

Sorry to be a pain but this was the last thing I wanted after spending £350 on a new GPU.

If it helps my specs are: bitfenix prodigy, Corsair hx65, Ga-z77n-wifi, 16gb ram, i7-3770k @4.3ghz.

post-29814-0-33335300-1371333454_thumb.j

Put the shroud back on then check the temps. What happens when the game crashes? Does it tell you display driver has stopped working?

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

If you have the latest drivers (320.18) install the 2nd latest one. The latest has a lot of problems and there are many reports of it crashing games and such

hi guys thanks for the replys. Unfortunately I cant put the shroud back on as there is no room for it, I have tried installing older drivers but they won't install apparently only the 320.18 supports the GTX 770.

hi guys thanks for the replys. Unfortunately I cant put the shroud back on as there is no room for it, I have tried installing older drivers but they won't install apparently only the 320.18 supports the GTX 770.

I hope that nvidia will relace now drivers soon.

Does the plastic shroud have fans? if it does, put it back ASAP and test it outside of the case.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I would recommend installing the shroud back on and then try installing an earlier driver, as i have heard that some people are experiencing problems with the latest drivers.

If problems continue after that then it's likley that theres a problem with the card itself, in that case you should probably send it back.

install MSI afterburner (don't worry, it will work for you Gainward) and ramp the fan on the gpu up to 100% and then try playing without the side pannel on. if it works, your 770 has to much heat output for the prodigy. also update the drivers (probably even to beta). maybe the fan-connector on the 770-pcb isn't plugged in correctly. if it won't work, return it and buy one from MSI or Gigabyte. don't tell them it's defect, just return it. and buy one with a true dual slot design. but if you can afford the loudness, buy a refference one because that case is designed to be used with blower-style fans (with which you shouldn't have temp-problems because they draw fresh air from your side pannel and directly out the case so it won't use already heated-up air.

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

thanks again for your responses.

I've added a hackintosh boot to the partition and the graphics card seems to be working fine in os x, I am 90% sure that its the nvidia drivers for windows 8 thats the problem. I am gonna try and do some modifications to the case so that the shroud can be put back on, hopefully their will be some new drivers soon.