Should I get a 13' MacBookAir or a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2

I saw the XPS 12 on the microsoft site a few months ago, it's not there anymore, and I'm looking for a laptop, honestly if I was looking for a tablet Pro 3 would be my first choice.

They are probably preparing their models with bay-trail architecture and selling out haswell ;)

Microsoft has new sales policies, they are more focused on microosoft products ;)

The 12.5 and 13 is the same, just the screen flip function is the difference, however the cheaper 12.5 models only has 4GB of ram which would be fin if you do not plan to photoshop, video edit and about do 5 tabs in the webbrowser, text documents and maybe some music in the background. Atm I have open 3 pdfs and 3 chrome tabs, running at 3,6GB of ram. Would aim for 8GB ;)

I did just find the XPS 13 on the Microsoft site for 999, which fits in my budget, but I am reading reports of it having coil whine.

Right now for a "laptop" I have a first gen surface RT, if I were to buy a surface it would be the 1,000 dollar model and I'm not going to shell out another 120$ for a freaking keyboard, if I had 1100$ I would just buy a Asus ROG GL551.

If you get a surface, buy your own bluetooth keyboard. Granted the Microsoft ones are good, but the price....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I did just find the XPS 13 on the Microsoft site for 999, which fits in my budget, but I am reading reports of it having coil whine.

Thats not normal, probably the power brick or the fan they are hearing.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19598994

Says it's fixed with all models shipping after 5. september. ;)

Model number and newer does not have coil whine XPS 13 (9333)

You could buy it and check the model number/production date and RMA it if it's produced before 5. september 2014

Thats not normal, probably the power brick or the fan they are hearing.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19598994

Says it's fixed with all models shipping after 5. september. ;)

That's good to know, I just want something that's good I feel like the XPS 13 will be good, I have a friend with a Yoga Pro 2 and he said that the wireless isn't that bad on it, and I won't really be gaming on it.

For Christmas I am getting a new laptop, both of them are 1,000$, I was set on the Macbook, but looking at the Yoga 2 the specs, I'm starting to change my mind, which one is worth my money, and which one is better for the long haul, I really don't care operating system wise, I just want something that performs well and will last me for years of general web browsing, media consumption and word processing.

MacBook Air 13-inch : 128GB Specifications
  • 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • 4GB memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage1

Yoga Pro 2

Processor 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4510U Processor (2.00GHz 1600 MHz 4MB) Operating system Windows 8.1 64 Display 13.3" QHD+ LED Glossy Multi-touch with integrated camera (3200x1800) Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4400 Memory 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz Hard Drive 256GB SSD    

dude. simply looking at the specs makes it clear, also, doesnt the yoga have a touchscreen?

thats standard for a laptop personally, when your hand is within 2 inches of the screen 90% of the time anyway. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

dude. simply looking at the specs makes it clear, also, doesnt the yoga have a touchscreen?

thats standard for a laptop personally, when your hand is within 2 inches of the screen 90% of the time anyway.

All that fat and gunk all over the glossy screen, Love it! You would be best off with the xps 13. If you want most performance inn a slim form factor for your money save for the acer nitro with gtx 860m, the 850m is not a good grapich card.

From personally using the macs track pad and then going back to my ASUS laptop's  track pad is sad. The gestures become second nature and make navigation soo much easier on the mac.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

All that fat and gunk all over the glossy screen, Love it! You would be best off with the xps 13. If you want most performance inn a slim form factor for your money save for the acer nitro with gtx 860m, the 850m is not a good grapich card.

does someone need a hug? :3

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Completly agree, but OSX don`t have that Windows like features to fill the screen or half screen when moving a program window to the top or the sides of the screen =/.

No, but I think proper use of workspaces IMO is a better way to use a laptop, not enough physical real estate to justify using half the screen.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Omg, the Mac vs Better and properly priced laptops discussion again?

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I'm probably going to get the Yoga Pro 2 instead of the Dell just because the extra storage, and honestly if the battery starts to suck I can always buy the IntoCircuit Power Castle PC26000 and use that anyways. 

I was eyeing some yogas at the beginning of the year, but I decided to go with the Macbook Air (Partly because my school has trasferred to all macs and I wanted to be as compatible as possible). I have to say, I am very happy with me decision. The battery is amazing; I can go up to three days without charging (althgouh I wouldnt consider myself a power-user). For some reason, I am in love with the keyboard and type extremely well on it, but that may just be a strange thing with me. It is thin, light, and you get free, annual software updates.

Downsides: I dont like OSX as much as Windows, and I constantly feel like I'm going to dent the aluminun whenever I put it down. Not a huge deal, but it is far from ideal for a product that is meant to be carried wherever you go.

TL;DR: Close contest, but get the Mac.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Get the Mac, use it for a few years eventually you won't be able to upgrade the OS nor apps due to it being considered out of data rendering it as a fancy paper weight.

You're kidding me, right? 

The current version of OS X can run on computers that are almost 8 years old. 

s31KATP.png

I prefer a single workspace with Control Mission to manage multiple windows/programs and I hate that "full screen" that hide my top bar and menu. =/

If you think Mission Control is nice, if you were using Macs back with Snow Leopard, I'm sure you really liked Exposé.   It was much easier to find things. 

They're overpriced, can't run things as well, are massive, and use OS X. THe only thing I givr macs are they have a damn nice lookin screen.

Actually the higher end MBP's have Quad cores and dedicated GPUs. Sony was the only company that could compete. 

And it's pretty easy to put Windows on it. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

You're kidding me, right? 

The current version of OS X can run on computers that are almost 8 years old. 

s31KATP.png

Have you tired this? I have, and its does not work, well you can install it but good luck getting it to do anything useful.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Have you tired this? I have, and its does not work, well you can install it but good luck getting it to do anything useful.

I have.  I've used many Macs with Yosemite.   If a computer is performing as poorly as you're insinuating, then the user needs to reconfigure settings and change usage habits. Yes, those are the minimum system requirements.   The user would need to understand that continuing to upgrade software that meets only the minimums would need to have an understanding of what to expect.   But yes of course a Mac meeting the minimums can do plenty of "useful" things.  As long as needless garbage doesn't litter things such as launch agents, launch daemons, and login items, then it's going to be fine.   

A logical user should have no more or less expectations from OS X on the minimums as Windows on the minimums.  

I have.  I've used many Macs with Yosemite.   If a computer is performing as poorly as you're insinuating, then the user needs to reconfigure settings and change usage habits. Yes, those are the minimum system requirements.   The user would need to understand that continuing to upgrade software that meets only the minimums would need to have an understanding of what to expect.   But yes of course a Mac meeting the minimums can do plenty of "useful" things.  As long as needless garbage doesn't litter things such as launch agents, launch daemons, and login items, then it's going to be fine.   

A logical user should have no more or less expectations from OS X on the minimums as Windows on the minimums.  

There are still people who cry that putting Windows 8 on their oringally shipped with Windows XP computer results in "slow and useless" 

Apple supports it, but they kinda expect that you have powerful enough hardware for it or at the very least are capable of understanding that you might need to jack up your RAM and/or HDD to something better to continue using ancient CPUs. Ancient is harsh, but there it is. My dads '09 MBP is finally starting to show its age under BASE specs with Yosemite. That was a 2.26GHz C2D and...2GB of RAM? 4GB? Its been a while. But if I am getting ~5 years out of a basic spec Mac that was the low end, I imagine people who have better are getting by just fine. My '11 17" is the literal definition of a beast. It'll last a long time, even under Yosemite it doesn't slow down. It happens to benefit from a proper i7, dedicated GPU, 16GB RAM and SSD so theres that too. 

But some people refuse to do this thing called "thinking", especially around these parts. And they keep spouting nonsense as fact.