It is copper.  I barely dissipates heat.

Yup that's why manufacturers use copper material in waterblocks because it obviously barely dissipates heat.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

You answered your own question. Was filmed ages ago, decision to move was... Less ages ago

Oh... lol.  

Less ages ago

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

funny-facepalm-pictures-i17.png

If you want to make the room cooler by taking the heat AWAY from the house, why would you guys use metal tubes INSIDE the room?

I assume you want to carry the heat away from the house by placing the radiators outside but you are not containing the heat by using metal tubing which dissipates heat even before it reaches the radiators.

You want a heat shielded tubing so all the heat is contained and not dissipated before it reaches its destination (radiators) to make the room cooler in any meaningful way.

They may be copper, but the heat of the water is not high enough to dissipate a lot of heat into the room. Most heat will go outside. 

A lot of server watercooling systems don't use shielded pipes at all. Not copper, of course. 

I would learn how this all works before face palming them. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Holy mother of PC-plumbing! This is truly epic! I'm already itching to learn about the technical details (pumps,removability of single PCs, etc.).

Pleeeeease don't keep us waiting too long...

Cool nice job editing. Can't wait for the other parts of the series.

CPU: Intel 3770k Cooling: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower Memory: 2x4gb Corsair 1600 ddr3 GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb with reference Cooler PSU: XFX pro 650w Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Samsung 1TB, 1x Seagate 2TB

CPU: Pentium 4 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SGXL Memory: 2GB ddr Storage: 250GB IDE OS: FreeBSD

They may be copper, but the heat of the water is not high enough to dissipate a lot of heat into the room. Most heat will go outside. 

A lot of server watercooling systems don't use shielded pipes at all. Not copper, of course. 

I would learn how this all works before face palming them. 

How do you know the heat of the water is not high enough to dissipate alot of heat into the room? Do you even watercool?

Even on a single loop for a single R9 290 is enough for a rubber tube to get pretty toasty under load on a 280mm radiator. I would assume it would be much worse on a copper tubing especially if lets say 3 of the 5 machines are getting hammered hard on system load.

I am assuming Linus is chain stacking the tubing for all five machine hence there is only 4 quad rad instead of 5.

Also how is it even relevant to compare server water cooling system to LMG room water cooling? Linus himself stated one of the key goals of the project was to make the room cooler which doesn't make any sense due to metal tubing dissipating the heat inside the room.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

If you want to make the room cooler by taking the heat AWAY from the house, why would you guys use metal tubes INSIDE the room?

I assume you want to carry the heat away from the house by placing the radiators outside but you are not containing the heat by using metal tubing which dissipates heat even before it reaches the radiators.

You want a heat shielded tubing so all the heat is contained and not dissipated before it reaches its destination (radiators) to make the room cooler in any meaningful way.

With that logic, your intake pipes would also be absorbing heat and so your overall temps would still normalise and the heat exchangers (rads) would still be throwing heat out of the room. 

Why was Luke drilling holes in cases and mounting the 2x140mm radiator on top, outside the case? Did the radiator just not fit in the top inside position where it would usually go? I thought it would be easier to just re-sell the radiator rather than take up lots of employee time drilling holes.

While you could have installed an air conditioner instead, maybe the whole-room watercooling will use less electricity in the long run.

The screws were not long enough without the holes drilled, the fittings add a little extra thickness to the complete package, a bit too much which caused the screws to be to short.

And the people that don't know linus already for a long time, he HATES AC units and don't want to invest in them. That's why this is happening.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Certainly took your time :P

Would be a shame to see it all be taken down when you move to an office though. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

How do you know the heat of the water is not high enough to dissipate alot of heat into the room? Do you even watercool?

Even on a single loop for a single R9 290 is enough for a rubber tube to get pretty toasty under load on a 280mm radiator. I would assume it would be much worse on a copper tubing especially if lets say 3 of the 5 machines are getting hammered hard on system load.

I am assuming Linus is chain stacking the tubing for all five machine hence there is only 4 quad rad instead of 5.

Also how is it even relevant to compare server water cooling system to LMG room water cooling? Linus himself stated one of the key goals of the project was to make the room cooler which doesn't make any sense due to metal tubing dissipating the heat inside the room.

The goal of server watercooling is also to dissipate the heat outside, or to capture it and use it to supplement building heat during the winter. 

If they cool whole racks and transfer the heat using exchangers  to pipes that are not insulated, albeit somewhat larger in diameter, they throw a lot more systems on a single line. I would think this setup would fair just fine. 

It would have to be fire hazard hot before I'd say before it would dissipate enough heat though the pipes to make a difference. Not only is the surface area of the metal low compared to the amount of liquid, but it is likely flowing fast and has very little if at any at all air moving over it. Since this run has A LOT of pipes, it would be more heat dissipated than copper pipes in a regular system, but still like 99% of it would dissipate at the radiators. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm also wondering why you would renovate the room and take on this project when you're planning on moving to a new office soon.

Was filmed ages ago, decision to move was... less ages ago.

;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm curious as to why that left monitor looks so red in comparison to

the other one. I think some calibration is in order. ;) :huh: :unsure:

post-14986-0-79784200-1417947304.jpg

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

8028855.gif

It took a while, but It's here! It's finally here!

Thank you Nick and Linus and Slick and Brandon and Edzel and Taran and other Nick and Rocket and Linus' other cat (I think he has two) and Linus' kids and Linus' wife and GabeN

abeddancing.gifpsy-elevator-gangnam-style.gifTC9MiZ3.gifkrLFD4G.gifoy3xf3m.gif

He has 2 cats: Rocket&Rumble

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Nice! Can't wait for Part 2. BTW, nice material design graphic elements :)

CPU: Intel i7 950 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB | SSD: 256GB 840 Pro | HDD 1: SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB | HDD 2: WD 320GB | RAM: Crucial XMS3 12GB (6x 2GB) | Case: Corsair R200 | PSU: LCPower 650W | Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

I am really interested to see how this all turned out.  Thanks for sharing the first video finally.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I saw someone with a similar idea (albeit on a much smaller scale) on the OC3D forums a few years ago, one of the biggest issues TTL brought up is condensation forming on the pipes creeping inside and potentially entering cases if its too cold outside.

This is pretty awesome really liking the "format/style" of the video too.

Although

@LinusTech so you made a sweet WC setup in a house your planing to move out of...am i missing something mate?

Hahaha, same here too. The entire vid I thought, "oh god, this is going to be such a pain to do all over again." well not all over just the things Luke's dad did...

Looks sweet guys!

Just thinking, wouldn't it be far more effective to use a single large radiator designed for outdoor operation for a project like this?

Have you thought about getting one from an old air-conditioning unit, or how about an old car or truck radiator? You could pick one up pretty cheap from a wrecker and you could get a huge one with a single massive fan that would be far easier to wire and work with and probably more effective than using a smaller radiator designed for indoor use with lots of small expensive fans.

Just a thought :)

i like turtles

@LinusTech so you made a sweet WC setup in a house your planing to move out of...am i missing something mate?

This project was in fact completed at the end of september. It has just taken them all that time to produce the videos. Even though all the editors were getting beefier hardware..... 

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

Testing it out. It's really cool, but really difficult to set up annotations for xD

I think there will be some optimizing yet to come...

Hey.

http://stefansundin.com/stuff/youtube/youtube-copy-annotations.html

This might help you out.

As long as you put your outro's with identically framing, you can just copy paste annotations from one video to another. 

Annotations are just an XML file in which you can then edit and push it to all your videos.

Oh man, I LOVE the editing in this video. Looks fantastic! It really has a "feel good" touch to it

Terve!

Am I the only one who askes himself, why they are doing the whole room liquid cooling thing a short time before they go into an other office?

It might have been some weeks or months ago they did it all, but how will this work, when they move?

Anyway: Great video.

Sayonara!

My mom: "Son, come lunch"

Me: "Nope. Watching Whole Room Water Cooling"

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Wow awesome idea and great workmanship on lukes old mans part looking forward to seeing more and hearing about how well it works in winter and summer good luck