Frequent indefinite freezes

Go to solution Solved by FoxHound,

I had a similar issue it turned out to be bad memory on my GTX 970, I t would cause hard locks like you are describing but only when It was trying to access the bad memory on the GPU. Try to run MemtestG80 and see if you get errors (mine had over 2 million after 50 passes).

When I first built my pc around 2 months ago, it used to frequently (over 2 times a day) freeze, everything would stop in it's tracks, the mouse didn't move, ctrl alt del didn't work, any audio would linger there and turning off/on the monitor wouldn't help. Basically it was trapped in space time. I didn't bother to wait over 3 minutes so I would hard restart it without any BSOD. It used to happen frequently, then it died down after a month and now it's coming back. For the past half a week it's been doing this again and again. What's annoying is that while I'm writing an essay on word or something, I go to have a break and watch a youtube vid or something, and it freezes while I'm doing it, and when I come back, some of my stuff is gone even though it autosaved. Today, after having it happen the third time, I waited 20+ minutes to see if I would get any BSOD, but nothing, so I restarted it. I haven't been able to see what happens in task manager because I don't know when it'll happen.

Specs: 

CPU i5 4690k 
Mobo MSI z97 Gaming 5 
RAM 16gb 1600mhz G.Skill Ripjaws X (2x8) 
GPU MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g 
Case Corsair 300r 
Storage Crucial MX100 512gb ssd, 2x WD Caviar Blue 1tb 
PSU Corsair CX750M 
Display BenQ RL2455HM 
Cooling DeepCool Neptwin 
OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit and Ubuntu 14.04

And when on the regular desktop, it would turn itself into some weird checker pattern with switched patches (like a jigsaw puzzle) and sometimes it'll be some weird colour like purple (gmod missing textures anyone?), and sometimes stuff like this will happen http://gyazo.com/d913fa4c7c11c2001be7dc6bdf53157a.png (that line up there) and it would need me to restart the monitor to fix it temporarily. Should I RMA it or something? Just a sidenote.

I also sometimes (rarely) get a BSOD with dpc_watchdog_violation, but the suggestions that say I should update my ssd firmware is bull because the mx100 doesn't have any firmware updates yet.

There seems to be a lot wrong with my build lol

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

have you ran memtest 86?

Will do

~Just the tips

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

bump, I ran memtest for the whole night (8 ish hours) and no errors :/

It's freezed 3 times in a span of an hour today :/

~Just the tips

I have this problem too!

The problem started on my Windows 7 where it just froze randomly. Then I tested the Windows 10 technical preview and the problem disappeared for a while.
But last week it started to freeze again. I read somewhere that it could have been some dust particle in your ram port and that may be causing the freeze. That wasn't causing my freezes but you could always try if it helps you.

Another thing I noticed on my windows 7 OS was that it only happend when my headset was plugged in. I have the Logitech g930. And then I found this today: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezes-but-no-bsod-driver-issue-or-psu.166736/

There's a chance that this is what's causing my system to freeze because I only have a 400w psu. I'll see if I can upgrade my psu in the near future.

I hope this helps you a bit.

I have this problem too!

The problem started on my Windows 7 where it just froze randomly. Then I tested the Windows 10 technical preview and the problem disappeared for a while.

But last week it started to freeze again. I read somewhere that it could have been some dust particle in your ram port and that may be causing the freeze. That wasn't causing my freezes but you could always try if it helps you.

Another thing I noticed on my windows 7 OS was that it only happend when my headset was plugged in. I have the Logitech g930. And then I found this today: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezes-but-no-bsod-driver-issue-or-psu.166736/

There's a chance that this is what's causing my system to freeze because I only have a 400w psu. I'll see if I can upgrade my psu in the near future.

try  to install windows 7 on a different hdd to see if that os stop's the freezes

I had a similar issue it turned out to be bad memory on my GTX 970, I t would cause hard locks like you are describing but only when It was trying to access the bad memory on the GPU. Try to run MemtestG80 and see if you get errors (mine had over 2 million after 50 passes).

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

I have this problem too!

Yeah my apartment gets really dusty and I'm a bit overdue with cleaning out my pc again, I'll clean it this weekend and see.

Gonna run it tonight.

EDIT: oh fuck, it is the gpu, few hundred thousand errors, well shit, gonna rma it if i'm able to in china :/

~Just the tips