My full review on the OnePlus One

Ricardo T

Hey guys, my username is PetitSmite and well, here is my full review on the OnePlus One.

Introduction

First of all, packaging, it’s just amazing, I think I fell in love with the color combination that OnePlus did here, it’s pretty simple, it’s a box, inside a box... inside a box, but nothing to really be mad about. The actual packaging has (obviously) the phone, I personally preferred the 64gb sandstone black which I’ll get back to later on in the review, also comes with the power adapter, which comes on a separate box, which is also classy, a sim card pin thing that looks pretty classy and also works as a key chain, which yes, I personally use, and finally, the mini USB to USB charging cable, which is the most unique cable I have ever seen.

Hardware experience

The feel of the sandstone version of the phone is just amazing, it feels so soft but gives you a slight grip at the time, it is awesome to hold and despite its large 5.5 inch screen, I have managed with my 16 year old hands to completely comfortably use the phone in a daily basis, and let me add that the back cover has this LG like feature where if you scratch the phone you simply rub it with your finger and the scratch will "disappear". Charging the phone is a charm, in about one hour and 30 minutes or so, I can get a full charge no problem, which has saved me many trouble in low battery, which also brings me up to charging the phone without the adapter, I can never charge my One from my computer or portable battery bank with the USB cable unless I leave it in complete idle because in some cases, using the phone while charging it from my computer or battery bank, battery STILL manage to drain. The phone's camera protrudes a little bit, but thanks to the curvy surround of the device it’s really hard for it to actually get damaged, as well as the camera, the screen also protrudes a little bit, which had me scared at the start because I’m known in my family for my slippery hands and was afraid I would soon drop the phone or scratch it easily since the screen is right on top of the phone, but as time goes on I pay less and less attention to that detail, but it’s still pretty scary. The screen, which by the way, looks amazingly perfect in any application, is surrounded by a metallic feel chrome vessel which gives the phone so much class it’s just... wow. Speakers on the phone are a great way to listen to music without using headphones (in a not so crowded place of course) thanks to the ACTUALLY stereo speakers (cough cough apple) the phone can get pretty loud in some cases. Finally, hardware wise, the buttons on this phone are so perfectly placed that I feel like the phone was specifically made for my hands, they are clicky, and at a great height which makes the user experience with the phone awesome.

Software experience

Now, the software, it’s not perfect, I love cyanogen mod in all its shape and form, but there are so many bugs with so many applications. Since I got my phone, I have not gotten the chance to open google maps, which leads me to open the browser, look for google maps, and start from there. The phone gets pretty slow sometimes, not going to lie it has died on me in a variety of apps which kind of annoys me, apps like Asphalt, Vector, Facebook, Vine and Antutu. In the other side of things, the software runs so smoothly (in some cases) that I’m just happy, it’s just great, apps open quickly, widgets are fast to apply etc. I did had one problem "tho", the Wi-Fi connectivity on my device is just awful, it does work, yes, but every single time I change Wi-Fi networks I have to reboot my device or else it just won’t connect ever, which brings me up to the reason I’m not mad at all even though I get all these software problems, and it’s because Cyanogen mod has just such an active update system that It’s not a lot of time for them to release an update fixing bugs and adding features, which is what makes me love this phone more and more each time.

Features experience

Feature #1: Gestures

Since I activated the "Double-tap to wake" gesture, I have not used the lock button for any reason, tapping the screen to wake and tapping the status bar to sleep has made my experience with the phone so easy and comfortable I just won’t let go.

I am one of those people that just wants to record everything at the moment, so the "Draw a circle to start camera" gesture has helped me A LOT in making my friends envy me for my phone, and capturing moments as fast as I can.

The "Draw a V to start flashlight" is pretty much useless, but it’s there, and I haven’t got those accidents where it turns itself on in my pocket so I just let it be.

Finally with the gestures, the "Draw an arrow to the left/right to change song" and "Draw 2 lines vertically to pause/play" makes my life way easier, seriously, it’s just so simple to play music instead of unlocking your phone, going to the app, and play the song.

Feature #2: Audio FX

I’m not trying to brag or anything but I am a "party person", so most of the time I decide to play my own music from my phone so everybody listens and hates me but I don’t care, the point is, this app makes it so easy for me to feel like a DJ, and for me to make my music sound like it’s supposed to, leveling the mids, highs, lows, choosing the type of music you are listening to, upping the bass or the surround sound, it makes any song you want to sound like you want it to.

Feature #3: Screen cast

Alright guys, this app needs some attention, and by attention I mean it has to get fixed, it’s a great Idea for an app and records perfectly and smoothly, but it is SO HARD to stop the app its self, to start it you can either go to the app and press the "Start Screencast" option, or you can hold the up volume button and the lock button, but for some reason holding the up volume button and the lock button ONLY starts the app, it does not stop it, which doesn't matter because going to the app itself and pressing the other option that says "stop" does not work either, only after a couple of tries, which actually got me to turn my phone off and on to close the app.

Conclusion

In conclusion, the phone is a great bang for the buck, it does have its software issues, but they can be easily fixed with a simple update. It has a great feel in the hand, excellent sound, beautiful looks and it’s just a unique experience which not a lot of users will be able to have. So the question is, should you buy it? Definitely, the phone is so cheap that I even feel like I am stealing it for what I am getting; it will be so worth getting you will not ever regret it.

Ricardo Tamez

12/5/14

post-58991-0-25206900-1417834589_thumb.jpost-58991-0-53694300-1417834584_thumb.jpost-58991-0-82390000-1417834585_thumb.jpost-58991-0-39972600-1417834586_thumb.jpost-58991-0-88075300-1417834586_thumb.jpost-58991-0-34772000-1417834587_thumb.jpost-58991-0-82708400-1417834587_thumb.jpost-58991-0-19106300-1417834588_thumb.jpost-58991-0-49618600-1417834588_thumb.jpost-58991-0-86682800-1417834588_thumb.j

Good review but you might wanna remove the advert for your YouTube at the bottom since it's against CoC.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Good review but you might wanna remove the advert for your YouTube at the bottom since it's against CoC.

Well, how is it really advertising? It's just informing he has a review as well in YT form.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Im not advertising, Im just saying I will probably upload a review there too, IF you are interested, will take it off now anyways thank you

Great review but...without pictures...it saddens me.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well, how is it really advertising? It's just informing he has a review as well in YT form.

Usually when people say that in their post it gets removed because it is flat out advertising. I don't mind it but it usually gets removed so that's why I informed him.

"subscribe now since I do upload other tech and gaming related videos"

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Same. :/

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Coming right up partner

Coming right up partner

This excites me.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Pics are great! Well done.

I still wish they'd made it smaller. At this size, I'll take a Note 4 and get a bigger screen.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Usually when people say that in their post it gets removed because it is flat out advertising. I don't mind it but it usually gets removed so that's why I informed him.

"subscribe now since I do upload other tech and gaming related videos"

Well its just a tip, but well its gone 

Pics are great! Well done.

I still wish they'd made it smaller. At this size, I'll take a Note 4 and get a bigger screen.

Yeah I wouldve  loved a 5.2 or even a 5, but believe me when I say, you will not regret it, and you get used to it trust me, I have small hands and Ive managed

Yeah I wouldve  loved a 5.2 or even a 5, but believe me when I say, you will not regret it, and you get used to it trust me, I have small hands and Ive managed

I waited for a bit for an invite but gave up and bought a Nexus 5.

Which I can honestly say is perfect for me, and I won't be changing it any time soon.

I bought a OnePlus but just ended up selling it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Good review.

I enjoyed reading it.

Keep up the good work.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I waited for a bit for an invite but gave up and bought a Nexus 5.

Which I can honestly say is perfect for me, and I won't be changing it any time soon.

I bought a OnePlus but just ended up selling it.

Well Nexus is a great choice, and its YOUR choice after all, and It was not a bad one sir, if screen size is the problem then get something smaller, glad you liked the review!

Good review.

I enjoyed reading it.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks you so much! These type of comments pump me up!

Heads up. The Oneplus actually outputs a mono signal meaning it does not have 'true' stereo. Just wanted to add this as I've heard several reviewers, MKBHD included, mention it has stereo. This is not the case. Oneplus has really good mono speakers that are so close together, you actually won't notice making them appear to be stereo speakers.

This isn't really an issue for us, but the audiophiles might want to know.

Nice review.

Edit: noticed you had some minor bugs. Would you happen to be on the latest OTA? They don't ship updated from what I know. :P

Heads up. The Oneplus actually outputs a mono signal meaning it does not have 'true' stereo. Just wanted to add this as I've heard several reviewers, MKBHD included, mention it has stereo. This is not the case. Oneplus has really good mono speakers that are so close together, you actually won't notice making them appear to be stereo speakers.

Nice review.

Edit: noticed you had some minor bugs. Would you happen to be on the latest OTA? They don't ship updated from what I know. :P

Let's compromise and call it 'moneo' speakers.

Nice review.

Hey guys, my name is PetitSmite and well, here is my full review on the OnePlus One.

Introduction

First of all, packaging, it’s just amazing, I think I fell in love with the color combination that OnePlus did here, it’s pretty simple, it’s a box, inside a box... inside a box, but nothing to really be mad about. The actual packaging has (obviously) the phone, I personally preferred the 64gb sandstone black which I’ll get back to later on in the review, also comes with the power adapter, which comes on a separate box, which is also classy, a sim card pin thing that looks pretty classy and also works as a key chain, which yes, I personally use, and finally, the mini USB to USB charging cable, which is the most unique cable I have ever seen.

Hardware experience

The feel of the sandstone version of the phone is just amazing, it feels so soft but gives you a slight grip at the time, it is awesome to hold and despite its large 5.5 inch screen, I have managed with my 16 year old hands to completely comfortably use the phone in a daily basis, and let me add that the back cover has this LG like feature where if you scratch the phone you simply rub it with your finger and the scratch will "disappear". Charging the phone is a charm, in about one hour and 30 minutes or so, I can get a full charge no problem, which has saved me many trouble in low battery, which also brings me up to charging the phone without the adapter, I can never charge my One from my computer or portable battery bank with the USB cable unless I leave it in complete idle because in some cases, using the phone while charging it from my computer or battery bank, battery STILL manage to drain. The phone's camera protrudes a little bit, but thanks to the curvy surround of the device it’s really hard for it to actually get damaged, as well as the camera, the screen also protrudes a little bit, which had me scared at the start because I’m known in my family for my slippery hands and was afraid I would soon drop the phone or scratch it easily since the screen is right on top of the phone, but as time goes on I pay less and less attention to that detail, but it’s still pretty scary. The screen, which by the way, looks amazingly perfect in any application, is surrounded by a metallic feel chrome vessel which gives the phone so much class it’s just... wow. Speakers on the phone are a great way to listen to music without using headphones (in a not so crowded place of course) thanks to the ACTUALLY stereo speakers (cough cough apple) the phone can get pretty loud in some cases. Finally, hardware wise, the buttons on this phone are so perfectly placed that I feel like the phone was specifically made for my hands, they are clicky, and at a great height which makes the user experience with the phone awesome.

Software experience

Now, the software, it’s not perfect, I love cyanogen mod in all its shape and form, but there are so many bugs with so many applications. Since I got my phone, I have not gotten the chance to open google maps, which leads me to open the browser, look for google maps, and start from there. The phone gets pretty slow sometimes, not going to lie it has died on me in a variety of apps which kind of annoys me, apps like Asphalt, Vector, Facebook, Vine and Antutu. In the other side of things, the software runs so smoothly (in some cases) that I’m just happy, it’s just great, apps open quickly, widgets are fast to apply etc. I did had one problem "tho", the Wi-Fi connectivity on my device is just awful, it does work, yes, but every single time I change Wi-Fi networks I have to reboot my device or else it just won’t connect ever, which brings me up to the reason I’m not mad at all even though I get all these software problems, and it’s because Cyanogen mod has just such an active update system that It’s not a lot of time for them to release an update fixing bugs and adding features, which is what makes me love this phone more and more each time.

Features experience

Feature #1: Gestures

Since I activated the "Double-tap to wake" gesture, I have not used the lock button for any reason, tapping the screen to wake and tapping the status bar to sleep has made my experience with the phone so easy and comfortable I just won’t let go.

I am one of those people that just wants to record everything at the moment, so the "Draw a circle to start camera" gesture has helped me A LOT in making my friends envy me for my phone, and capturing moments as fast as I can.

The "Draw a V to start flashlight" is pretty much useless, but it’s there, and I haven’t got those accidents where it turns itself on in my pocket so I just let it be.

Finally with the gestures, the "Draw an arrow to the left/right to change song" and "Draw 2 lines vertically to pause/play" makes my life way easier, seriously, it’s just so simple to play music instead of unlocking your phone, going to the app, and play the song.

Feature #2: Audio FX

I’m not trying to brag or anything but I am a "party person", so most of the time I decide to play my own music from my phone so everybody listens and hates me but I don’t care, the point is, this app makes it so easy for me to feel like a DJ, and for me to make my music sound like it’s supposed to, leveling the mids, highs, lows, choosing the type of music you are listening to, upping the bass or the surround sound, it makes any song you want to sound like you want it to.

Feature #3: Screen cast

Alright guys, this app needs some attention, and by attention I mean it has to get fixed, it’s a great Idea for an app and records perfectly and smoothly, but it is SO HARD to stop the app its self, to start it you can either go to the app and press the "Start Screencast" option, or you can hold the up volume button and the lock button, but for some reason holding the up volume button and the lock button ONLY starts the app, it does not stop it, which doesn't matter because going to the app itself and pressing the other option that says "stop" does not work either, only after a couple of tries, which actually got me to turn my phone off and on to close the app.

Conclusion

In conclusion, the phone is a great bang for the buck, it does have its software issues, but they can be easily fixed with a simple update. It has a great feel in the hand, excellent sound, beautiful looks and it’s just a unique experience which not a lot of users will be able to have. So the question is, should you buy it? Definitely, the phone is so cheap that I even feel like I am stealing it for what I am getting; it will be so worth getting you will not ever regret it. You decide, 1 iPhone 6 plus or 1 OnePlus for you, your mom AND your grand mom.

To anyone that has read all the way to here, thank you, this is my first ever full review on a phone, or on any device, I know I missed a lot of stuff so please let me know if I did good or bad down below, I will be uploading a video review to PetitSmite on youtube soon when I get the gadgets to do so, if you wish you can subscribe now since I do upload other tech and gaming related videos, thank you.

Ricardo Tamez

12/5/14

attachicon.gif10848025_834264916596351_7730748443737213411_n.jpgattachicon.gif1888491_834264813263028_2697550548286777119_n.jpgattachicon.gif1898119_834264969929679_5368098662922134698_n.jpgattachicon.gif1911709_834264156596427_1171975966731602998_n.jpgattachicon.gif10294297_834264879929688_8447076357872885757_n.jpgattachicon.gif10388072_834264323263077_8653290841864125985_n.jpgattachicon.gif10461619_834264243263085_2928925152479060023_n.jpgattachicon.gif10845975_834264396596403_3890620751529945052_n.jpgattachicon.gif10846060_834264269929749_7710129630000825858_n.jpgattachicon.gif10846301_834264613263048_4841311455240601649_n.jpg

Nice pictures! What'd you use?

Nice pictures! What'd you use?

Surprisingly, I used an iPhone 5! I couldnt believe how smooth they where but well what do you know! Video is up!

Surprisingly, I used an iPhone 5! I couldnt believe how smooth they where but well what do you know! Video is up!

Well, whatever does the job! Will watch ;)