A lot of new pics! - Project Snowflake [scratch build]

Nerdwall

cno8ckT.jpg

Welcome to Project Snowflake!

Background: I've been thinking of doing a scratch build for a while now. First it was just kind of a dream, but since last summer I have seriously begun planning and I now finally have a finished first sketch that I want to share with you! There are still many things that I need to figure out about this project and I have yet to decide about which parts and components I will use but I wanted to let anyone who wants follow this almost from day 1. I will do my best to update you on the progress along the way!

About me: My name is Axel, a 20 years old guy studying Industrial Engineering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm Sweden. I’ve been into computers since my dad bought our first computer about 10 years ago. A few years later when we decided to get a new machine, I did get a chance to disassemble the old one and in that moment I was caught. I have now built about 10 systems and have gathered all the experience, knowledge and inspiration I think I need for this project! You can find my last two builds here:

http://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/12766-corsair-350d

http://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/12506-mitt-250d-delid

Large update with a lot of changes! (Read here) The new idea is a mITX case with alot of inspiration from the original Project Snowflake drawings bot made all out of Plexiglas and without the curves the original drawings and renderings had. More info in this post: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/264558-project-snowflake-scratch-build/?p=3811307

Right now: Boot testing with moth most of the core components done! Now the modding can begin! I have painted allt the red parts of the mobo white and also painted the radiators and the waterblovk to match the color theme.

The work on the case keeps on. Unfortunately it takes longer than I expected, mostly because I really want it too look nice and I cant really stop working on the small details. I also don't have all the tools I wish I had so some things like cutting and drilling takes longer than it could have taken with the right tools... :/

vNhydCH.jpg

nVfbGvw.jpg

3zrYPjC.jpg

h1ZNlT2.jpg

urJvzHk.jpg

Take care,

Axel 

Update 1,New plan

Update 2

Update 3

Update 4

Update 5

CPU: Intel i7 4770K | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Minne: 16GB A-Data XPG DDR3 | Chassi: Corsair 250D | GPU: Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz + EK-FC780 GTX WF3 | SSD: Seagate 600 480GB x2 RAID0 | PSU: XFX XTR 650W | Kylning: Koolance CPU380i, Koolance PMP-300, HW Black Ice 240mm + HW Black Ice 120mm | Mus: Logitech G600 | Tangentbord: FUNC KB-460 | Skärm: Philips 272C4QPJKAB 1440p 60Hz | Headset: Sony MDR-V6

Nice, I would buy

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

I want to buy this..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Looks good!

I'd suggest rounding off these corners for safety (along with the two front corners for the "feet"):

Project-Snowflake_suggestion-1.jpg

very interested in seeing how this turns out

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I'm happy that everyone seems to like this so far! I'll do my best not to disappoint you... :)

CPU: Intel i7 4770K | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Minne: 16GB A-Data XPG DDR3 | Chassi: Corsair 250D | GPU: Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz + EK-FC780 GTX WF3 | SSD: Seagate 600 480GB x2 RAID0 | PSU: XFX XTR 650W | Kylning: Koolance CPU380i, Koolance PMP-300, HW Black Ice 240mm + HW Black Ice 120mm | Mus: Logitech G600 | Tangentbord: FUNC KB-460 | Skärm: Philips 272C4QPJKAB 1440p 60Hz | Headset: Sony MDR-V6

Looks good!

I'd suggest rounding off these corners for safety (along with the two front corners for the "feet"):

Project-Snowflake_suggestion-1.jpg

Great idea, I'll change that right away! Thanks!

Can you make a separate render of just the motherboard tray with the GPU I/O?That would help me alot with my Mac Pro mod, as I am going to need a motherboard tray with a top mounted PSU,just like the older cases :)

On topic:THISGONBGUD.gif

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

nice and different design, so i guess now you have to make a CNC programme for this? so you can make the components.

nice to see people are wanting to do long term scratch builds and not just a bunch of money and fancy components, to me the art of computer building is custom building, your own ideas and stuff.

this looks like a nice idea.

got to love Asus components

Clean design, aluminium build, 90° rotated inverted ATX, snowflake logo in the front? Is this the latest Silverstone case? jk!

I think the idea is pretty neat, because open designs are awesome, but dust and noise are always trouble, with this half open/ half closed design you can block a good amount of noise (front panel+radiator sandwiching the fans), you can add a fan filter that won't show, and the positive pressure of the case will exhaust passively out in the back, cooling the vrms and avoiding dust formation on the mobo and components.

How are you going to make the bends? Making joints with the small aluminum squares is a great idea and works great, just like in Parvum cases, but you have some pretty bold curvatures there as well!

Can you make a separate render of just the motherboard tray with the GPU I/O?That would help me alot with my Mac Pro mod, as I am going to need a motherboard tray with a top mounted PSU,just like the older cases :)

Do you want a render or the dimensions I've used? 

A6T0JXQ.jpg?1

:)

nice and different design, so i guess now you have to make a CNC programme for this? so you can make the components.

nice to see people are wanting to do long term scratch builds and not just a bunch of money and fancy components, to me the art of computer building is custom building, your own ideas and stuff.

this looks like a nice idea.

Totally agree with you, it's not about who has the most expensive components! I want to build something from scratch so that I can feel that I made it all by my self, the specs doesnt really matter... :)

Clean design, aluminium build, 90° rotated inverted ATX, snowflake logo in the front? Is this the latest Silverstone case? jk!

I think the idea is pretty neat, because open designs are awesome, but dust and noise are always trouble, with this half open/ half closed design you can block a good amount of noise (front panel+radiator sandwiching the fans), you can add a fan filter that won't show, and the positive pressure of the case will exhaust passively out in the back, cooling the vrms and avoiding dust formation on the mobo and components.

How are you going to make the bends? Making joints with the small aluminum squares is a great idea and works great, just like in Parvum cases, but you have some pretty bold curvatures there as well!

Yeah I hope that the extra front panel can block some of the noise from the fans...

About all the questions regarding contruction etc. I have had constant contact with a metal workshop today about these questions and I will write a longer update as soon as I know more about it! Hopefully in a day or two :)

Best regards,

Axel

Ik, curved aluminum snowflake case?

Ft06 confirmed?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Awesome.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ft06 confirmed?

Will he be able to sell his design to a case manufacturer ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Ft06 confirmed?

haha! I know that it looks a lot like the silverstone FT-series but you have to get your inspiration somewhere, right? If they can't come up with another case in the FT-series I'll have to do it myself I guess... :)

haha! I know that it looks a lot like the silverstone FT-series but you have to get your inspiration somewhere, right? If they can't come up with another case in the FT-series I'll have to do it myself I guess... :)

I mean ft05 just released...

But deff subbing, looks cool

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Lian Li offer off the shelf motherboard tray's, that's what I did for my G5

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio_category/motherboard-tray/

A6T0JXQ.jpg?1

I'm a different person, but I was wondering if you could share the dimensions! I am also doing a from scratch build at the moment, however, I want to make the exact measurements for the holes of the motherboard!

A6T0JXQ.jpg?1

:)

I need the dimensions, might cut it myself instead of having it laser cut in aluminum :)

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!