Upgrades to a Alienware X51?

Been scrambling all over the internet to find any parts to upgrade a Alienware X51, its been 4 years since I bought it (I regret it, since now I have knowledge of PC building), so is there any upgrades I can perhaps do on the Alienware X51?

The PC sits on my wooden desk, so airflow is fine. Haven't actually opened up my PC in the last 4 years, so I will have to clean it out when I upgrade. Outside of the case, looks pretty clean. 

Current outdated specs:

CPU: i7-2600 (wish it was unlocked, but oh well)
GPU: GTX 555
RAM: Don't know if RAM was made by Dell themselves, but 8 GB
PSU: I think its a 300w External PSU, sits on my desk
Storage: 1 TB (technically 995 GB according to PC) 7200 RPM

Mobo: Mini ITX X51-R1 

Fans: Standard fans, does a okay-ish job at keeping CPU at 57c minimum to 71c max.  

I currently have no images at the moment, so here's a image of it:

t6y108.jpg

I regret buying this junk and could've built my own PC. am sad, crying in corner rite now.

For first time builders, please use PCPartPickerLogical Increments

Also please keep a friendly tone at all times. Have a good day/night.

Nope, impossible to upgrade or very difficult

Since you only have 300W psu

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

New GPU is your best bet here, CPU is still good, just an older generation but its still an i7.

You're probably going to have to sort out a new PSU though

SSD

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I suggest asking the AlienwareArena forum where Alienware employees will let you know what has been confirmed to work properly with the X51.

New GPU is your best bet here, CPU is still good, just an older generation but its still an i7.

You're probably going to have to sort out a new PSU though

Not easy for him, its External I think

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

PSU is proprietary, no way to upgrade. You'll be stuck with 300W.

With a H61 mobo it's not even worth getting an unlocked SKU. What you can do is overclock it to the maximum turbo boost ratio and keep it there, can't go further than that though.

I don't know what stock cooling Dell uses but it's obviously a low-profile solution, if it's getting toasty in there I'd recommend the Noctua NH-L9i. Easy to install too.

GPU-wise you could probably put a short variant of the GTX 970 in there. It will keep your system up to par for a few years in gaming-related applications.

HDD upgrades are a piece of cake, they consume barely any power, SSDs are even more efficient on that note. Just make sure the PSU has enough SATA power connectors if you're putting a fair few drives in there.

That's it basically.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Not easy for him, its External I think

The power brick is external, there is a secondary board inside the system with a few supplementary capacitors and the individual power connectors.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I would say... Ditch the case, psu, GPU. Keep the rest and place it in a new case. Get a new PSU and GPU while you are at it.

Preferably the EVGAg2 750watts and gtx 970. For case i would suggest s340/h440/define R4 or 5 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Id say toss the case and PSU and keep everything else, maybe upgrade GPU but just get it started on some upgrades atleast.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

You could get away with a GTX 750Ti and an ssd in there. Maybe a 970.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Been scrambling all over the internet to find any parts to upgrade a Alienware X51, its been 4 years since I bought it (I regret it, since now I have knowledge of PC building), so is there any upgrades I can perhaps do on the Alienware X51?

The PC sits on my wooden desk, so airflow is fine. Haven't actually opened up my PC in the last 4 years, so I will have to clean it out when I upgrade. Outside of the case, looks pretty clean. 

Current outdated specs:

Fans: Standard fans, does a okay-ish job at keeping CPU at 57c minimum to 71c max.  

I regret buying this junk and could've built my own PC. am sad, crying in corner rite now.

your best bet would be a new PSU and GPU. for the GPU a 970/80 is the only option i think cause of the low tdp also cause theres pretty good ITX versions of these cards so you shouldnt have trouble installing them 

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

I would upgrade the motherboard and processor to something more modern. A good Z97 Mini-ITX board with a i7 4790, non K edition since you won't have enough power to overclock it and a nice GTX 960/970. Undervolting the CPU is also an option. It will make it run cooler and spare Wattage. Ditching the Hard Drive and installing only an SSD will also spare some of the PSU, but not by that much. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The best upgrade to an Alienware is a better PC.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Current outdated specs:

t6y108.jpg

The gtx 555 uses has a 150 watt tdp. The gtx 970 has a 145 watt tdp. You might be able to put that in it. Just don't oc. Hope it helps!

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-555-oem/specifications

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

i5 3570k @ 4.9 ghz/1.27 volts, Asus P8Z77-V LK8 Gb Corsair 1600mhzGigabyte Windforce R9 290 1140/1625, Silverstone RV02, Kingston V300 120 gb, 1 TB WD Blue HDD,Seagate barracuda, Evga Supernova 750 G2Hyper 212 EvoWindows 8.1, K70 Red LED Blue switch, Razer Deathadder 2012, Sennehiser HD 598

you can run a gtx 670 in it. you would need a 330w brick from one of the x51 R2. and it can have up to a i7 4770k i think. That is what I had in my old one.

750ti would be my best bet.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

The 750 Ti would work you could probably get a 760 in there. I would make sure that the size of the card are not to big so you still have enough room to fit the 2 six pin plugs. Air flow will be tight so you would need to keep an eve on that.

I personally would start over. The x51 has so little room for modification due to the small form factor. It cost me £400 to make my new pc using the old parts from my x51 and I got around a 20fps improvement and I got much better temps. They went down from 85c to 72c on my GPU with max load. I went with an expensive CPU cooler (that was not really necessary) as well because I had a bit of room left in my budget. But once you think how parts you already have like RAM, CPU, hard drive, CPU  heat sync, GPU. All you need is a case, PSU and a motherboard and you are a way. Then over time you continue to save you can add a better GPU or an extra one without the limitations of the power brick yup already have. You would also have more hard drive space more RAM slots. You probably could Easley upgrade for £300 or less.

you could go for a 660 ti for £50 more that the 750 ti. And the 660 ti would probably give yo about 10 fps more

CPU: i7-2600 -> still a perfectly fine CPU. No real need to upgrade

GPU: GTX 555 -> 970 (non-oced) should work. Might want to get the 330Watt PSU from Dell though. Otherwise wait for the 960 or use a 750Ti

RAM: Don't know if RAM was made by Dell themselves, but 8 GB -> 8GB is still sufficient for most things.

PSU: I think its a 300w External PSU, sits on my desk -> Dell offers a 330Watt version

Storage: 1 TB (technically 995 GB according to PC) 7200 RPM -> SSD?

Mobo: Mini ITX X51-R1  -> no need to upgrade, unless you want a new CPU

Fans: Standard fans, does a okay-ish job at keeping CPU at 57c minimum to 71c max.  -> no need to upgrade.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log