Judge my Build 2 (Got a few questions)

I've made a post for this but this time I've carefully thought out everything and here's everything that I've come up with to last me 2-4 years of gaming :

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Motherboard - Asus Maximus VII Hero

RAM - G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB 2x4GB

HDD - WD Blue 1TB (Note: Stayed with this since I can't afford an SSD yet)

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 (Note: Changed from a 850G2 to save money and I realized even a 2-Way SLI GTX 980 wouldn't go over 600W)

CASE - NZXT Phantom 410 w/ 2 included 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan

CASE FANS -

2 Cougar Vortex PWM 120mm

1 Cougar Dual-X 140mm

The only question left I have is "Will everything fit?"

Other than that, I think I'm feeling good with what I've chosen except that I could go for a really high end build with high end fans, case, probably an SSD. But this is what my budget allows me to and a GTX 980 and i7-4790K would probably handle games for a quite long time.

So, what do you think? Any changes I should make? Probably a better case suggestion? If you have anything to say, I'd be glad to hear and discuss it through, anything that'll help me build this PC and make it a beast gaming PC is appreciated.

PCPartPicker Link : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9jkfkL

If your just gaming you don't need a i7 other than that it looks like a good build :)

1) You don't need an i7 at all. The i5-4690k will perform just fine for years to come. The i7 does not have better single-threaded performance, but instead better multi-threaded performance, and the multi-threaded performance of the i5 won't be a problem for the foreseeable future, even several years.

2) That motherboard is absurdly overpriced. You can get away with a $120 MoBo if you want to use SLI, or even an $80-90 MoBo if you don't need SLI compatibility.

3) You don't need to spend that much money on the PSU. You can make do with a cheap EVGA 500B unit if you don't plan on using SLI, or a EVGA Supernova NEX if you do need SLI. You have no need for good efficiency because you're not running a 24/7 server farm.

4) Those case fans are a waste of money. The stock case fans have adequate air flow for your low heat components. The GTX 970 puts out a surprisingly minimal amount of heat.

5) You have no need for that thermal paste. The Evo 212 comes with its own thermal paste that is perfectly adequate.

edit: I have no idea how much your build cost, but the 980, maximus MoBo, and i7 can't be cheap. I'd imagine that this build is cheaper, and better for gaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1354.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 23:45 EST-0500

Edited by Lotus

If your just gaming you don't need a i7 other than that it looks like a good build :)

I've did some research and well on benchmarking tests. The i7-4790K helps well on the performance itself. 

1) You don't need an i7 at all. The i5-4690k will perform just fine for years to come. The i7 does not have better single-threaded performance, but instead better multi-threaded performance, and the multi-threaded performance of the i5 won't be a problem for the foreseeable future, even several years.

2) That motherboard is absurdly overpriced. You can get away with a $120 MoBo if you want to use SLI, or even an $80-90 MoBo if you don't need SLI compatibility.

3) You don't need to spend that much money on the PSU. You can make do with a cheap EVGA 500B unit if you don't plan on using SLI, or a EVGA Supernova NEX if you do need SLI. You have no need for good efficiency because you're not running a 24/7 server farm.

4) Those case fans are a waste of money. The stock case fans have adequate air flow for your low heat components. The GTX 970 puts out a surprisingly minimal amount of heat.

5) What is your CPU Cooler? I"m willing to bet you overspent on that as well. Any more than a 212 Evo is usually a waste, and that can be had for $30.

^This.

With that budget you should easily be able to fit in a 256gb SSD.

Though I don't agree with the PSU comment.

Also, why the 980? 970 is good enough for 1080p, and most 1440p settings.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I've did some research and well on benchmarking tests. The i7-4790K helps well on the performance itself. 

could you quote said benchmarks? :D

yeah like ace said the I7 for gaming only is a bit much (not that its a bad thing) if you go I5 save like $70 and get a SSD?

Although its a solid build as it is as well.

Dave

5) You have no need for that thermal paste. The Evo 212 comes with its own thermal paste that is perfectly adequate.

Which mobo would you think could last me quite a long journey of gaming other than the Hero, yes, I do plan on SLI, I do plan on overclocking as well. As for the fans, I'd like for my cases to have as optimal airflow as it can have but I do see where you're going, I might remove some of it. As for the thermal paste, I didn't know that the 212 EVO includes a thermal paste. According to guides of installing the 212 evo, they've all included putting on your own thermal paste. That's why I bought it

could you quote said benchmarks? :D

Not sure if this video would be the most accurate benchmarks, but the i7 did a lot more than the i5

its a good built, keep the i7, change the blue to a black wd, and add a 240gb ssd, then go with it. 

yeah like ace said the I7 for gaming only is a bit much (not that its a bad thing) if you go I5 save like $70 and get a SSD?

Although its a solid build as it is as well.

Dave

I could get an SSD and use a HDD as a storage. Hm, I've still got time to re-think again.

^This.

With that budget you should easily be able to fit in a 256gb SSD.

Though I don't agree with the PSU comment.

Also, why the 980? 970 is good enough for 1080p, and most 1440p settings.

Last time I said that I ended up with a gaming pc (2012) that couldn't support games 2 years later (2014) on high resolution or more as they are getting more demanding. But I can see that the 970 would support games for the next 4 years maybe? But I'd still go with the 980, though the performance difference is un-noticeable, it is the better and higher end card

Last time I said that I ended up with a gaming pc (2012) that couldn't support games 2 years later (2014) on high resolution or more as they are getting more demanding. But I can see that the 970 would support games for the next 4 years maybe? But I'd still go with the 980, though the performance difference is un-noticeable, it is the better and higher end card

Consider this: the 970 does excellently now. Outstanding, really, for the price.

The price difference between the 980 and the 970 is almost double.

So, buy one 970 now, and in two years when/IF it starts to struggle, buy another for around $200.

You'll be spending the same as a 980, but have extended your lifespan even longer (2x970 whoops a 980).

No one can see that far into the future. 4 years is SUCH a long time in tech.

To be honest, I hope your system can't support games in 4 years. Otherwise we haven't improved that much.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

imo 80$ isnt worth 5 fps but to each there own :)

Not just the FPS, to me all that heat from a i5-4690K would probably affect the performance as my room is quite warm.

Not just the FPS, to me all that heat from a i5-4690K would probably affect the performance as my room is quite warm.

there really isn't that much of a difference i highly doubt you would notice

Consider this: the 970 does excellently now. Outstanding, really, for the price.

So, buy one 970 now, and in two years when/IF it starts to struggle, buy another for around $200.

You'll be spending the same as a 980, but have extended your lifespan even longer (2x970 whoops a 980).

To be honest, I hope your system can't support games in 4 years. Otherwise we haven't improved that much.

Hm what if I go overboard and get 2-Way SLI 970 right now instead of a 980. To which the price would add $130 more

there really isn't that much of a difference i highly doubt you would notice

What if I overclock it? (It's a hobby)

What if I overclock it? (It's a hobby)

still you wouldn't notice the difference 

What kind of monitor do you have / do you plan to run for the next 2-4 years?

Terrible Advice. 

First of all the price difference is about 200 dollars (give or take deals & tax). Second the performance difference is about 15% so.... With the 980 you pay 100 dollars for performance and 100 dollars extra for flagship premium. Clearly the cost:performance scaling isn't as good as the 970 but it still makes senses to get depending needs.

For me I get 30-50 FPS on AC Unity with my 980 OC @ 1440p Ultra with no AA. So a 970 would make the game borderline unplayable without turning down the settings.  

Similarly I expect 4k monitors to become popular by the end next Black Friday. With the 980 I should be just barely able to game on properly optimized games, while with a 970 It'll struggle.

As for adding a second graphic card in a few years. The 4GBs of ram on both the 970 and 980 will cripple them, much like the 2GB cripples the 680, and so it'll be best to just upgrade cards.

Like I said OP what kind of monitor do you plan on running. It all depends on that. 

1. i7 IS NOT worth it for gaming. If you do quite a bit of video editing, gaming, and really high quality streaming, then you have a reason.. Ton of gaming and little video editing, with a bit of streaming, an i5 4690k is perfect.

2. That motherboard is stupid for the price, you will not utilize the features on it, and they are not necessary.

3. You can get an SSD if you get a 650W PSU. You'll have plenty of headroom for a second 980 and overclocking. the GTX 900 series sip power, not chug it like a 290 or 290x...

4. Those case fans are fine on the case, they are reliable, decent airflow, and are quiet.

5. The cooler WILL come with thermal paste. You do not need to order any :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($22.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($68.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($319.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($319.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1342.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 00:11 EST-0500

-snip-

Or you can go with this build. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Which mobo would you think could last me quite a long journey of gaming other than the Hero, yes, I do plan on SLI, I do plan on overclocking as well. As for the fans, I'd like for my cases to have as optimal airflow as it can have but I do see where you're going, I might remove some of it. As for the thermal paste, I didn't know that the 212 EVO includes a thermal paste. According to guides of installing the 212 evo, they've all included putting on your own thermal paste. That's why I bought it

I'd suggest the mobo I included in the build I edited into the post. In fact, I suggest the whole build.

I'd suggest the mobo I included in the build I edited into the post. In fact, I suggest the whole build.

To save more money should I change the case to a Corsair Carbide SPEC-02? Will it all still fit

u r wrong

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Read the fine print.

1)  That's a synthetic benchmark

2) That's a i7 @ 4.0 GHz and an i5 @ 3.5 GHz, but when overclocked they hit similar frequencies, typically at least. There's always the silicone lottery. AFAIK, typically i5s actually go to higher frequencies than i7s due to lower heat output. These are K series CPUs, no one in the right mind uses them at stock clock speeds.

Don't just quote something without reading it. i7s and i5s are identical clock for clock except for hyper threading and 33% more L3 cache for the i7.