Student Laptop for Gaming

Hi. I am a student who travels across the country a couple times a year and would like a gaming laptop as a combined B-day/Christmas present (since they are a week apart). A desktop is, unfortunately, not an option for me. Anyways, I have a lot of music, so I would need enough space for both music and games, and a portable laptop is a plus, but not a must, as I do have a cheap laptop that functions fine for portability and homework. Money is not a huge problem, but my parents are not willing to pay more than around $1500-1700 (I can chip in a little if it gets closer to or above $2000, but I would prefer to spend that money on peripherals). What are your suggestions?

How about an ROG notebook? Or is that too thick for your portability preferences?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Lenovo y50 4k version

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

why don't you try this this website and customize a laptop to your liking ?

www.xoticpc.com

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

How about an ROG notebook? Or is that too thick for your portability preferences?

Do you have a particular one in mind? There are so many different options it has been a little hard for me. I am sure that you guys know better than I do (I know a lot about desktop rigs but nearly nothing about laptops).

Lenovo y50 4k version

I have heard that this doesn't run games too well. Everything else about the laptop seems great, though. I don't know...

I like this one a lot! I have done a little bit of research on this one and it seems to get the job done quite well. The 17 inches may be a small issue, though. Does anyone have a thin 17-inch like this one? I have never seen a 17-inch other than my friends bulky Alienware *shudders* and he doesn't bother to carry it around.

Do you have a particular one in mind? There are so many different options it has been a little hard for me. I am sure that you guys know better than I do (I know a lot about desktop rigs but nearly nothing about laptops).

I dont know all the models, but these are some things that can narrow it down for you:

-17.3" screen (ersonally i find 15.6" too small for productivity)

-1080p (720 is too low, but higher than 1080p is not really necessary on a small 17.3" screen like that)

-i7 CPU

-860M or better

-long battery life

-you choose the budget

-also consider weight

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I like this one a lot! I have done a little bit of research on this one and it seems to get the job done quite well. The 17 inches may be a small issue, though. Does anyone have a thin 17-inch like this one? I have never seen a 17-inch other than my friends bulky Alienware *shudders* and he doesn't bother to carry it around.

Also, how is the GTX 765M?

What do you guys think about this: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS70-STEALTH-PRO-003-9S7-177314-003/dp/B00O65HR6A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1417235759&sr=8-8&keywords=msi+gs70+stealth

Seems like a great deal compared to the previous, especially considering the jump in storage and graphics, as well as the slightly faster processor.

What about an MSI Apache? http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS70-STEALTH-037-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00JKCHRXC/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417236467&sr=1-10&keywords=msi+gaming+laptop

Also, try to get one of the newer GPUs if you can. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I though it had something newer damn it, no I don't think the 765m will make the cut. I'll try to look for something different.

Pascal laptops guide

What do you guys think about this: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS70-STEALTH-PRO-003-9S7-177314-003/dp/B00O65HR6A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1417235759&sr=8-8&keywords=msi+gs70+stealth

Seems like a great deal compared to the previous, especially considering the jump in storage and graphics, as well as the slightly faster processor.

Win. Get that one right there. Good laptop.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My friend has an apache, I can fully recommend it no problem.

Pascal laptops guide

Win. Get that one right there. Good laptop.

A bit higher than your suggested budget, but totally worth it.

Pascal laptops guide

I have heard that this doesn't run games too well. Everything else about the laptop seems great, though. I don't know...

You can always crank it back to 1080p when gaming, it would look exactly the same as the 1080p model would, except without the yellow tint I've heard of the 1080p model having.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You can always crank it back to 1080p when gaming, it would look exactly the same as the 1080p model would, except without the yellow tint I've heard of the 1080p model having.

I heard that DirectX 11 games run in the middle of the screen when dropped down to 1080p. Otherwise, I would consider it. Has there been a patch for this?

So I think I'm leaning towards the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-052. I know it's not 3K, but to me, that almost seems like a plus as most reviews seem to say that laptop gaming is not ready for 3K just yet. The 12 GB of RAM vs 16 GB doesn't seem like a huge deal and the graphics card still packs a punch. The price seems reasonable too. Also, the computer won't be pushing its limits to play games in such a high resolution like the higher-end models, so it won't be as hot. Besides, 1080p is still great for gaming. What do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-Pro-052-15-6-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B00JKCHT1C/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417237618&sr=1-12&keywords=msi+15+inch

I suggest gigabyte and msi laptops

Auroua from gigabyte

And MSI gt or gs series

If u are willing to spend 2000

Gigabyte aurous series produce the best

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Alright. I think that I'm down to four. I would appreciate some feedback.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-Pro-052-15-6-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B00JKCHT1C/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417237618&sr=1-12&keywords=msi+15+inch#Ask

This one is 1080p. I heard that there are some scaling issues, so 1080p almost seems like a better bet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152593

Better processor, more space, and 3k display. I don't know if 3K is a good idea, though. Especially with an 870m.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-GHOST-PRO-044-9S7-16H512-044/dp/B00O4ORONE/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

1080p with a 970m. 12GB RAM

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-GHOST-3K-046-9S7-16H512-046/dp/B00O65HVY8

3K version with 16GB RAM.

My main issues are whether or not to go with a better graphics card and whether or not to go with a 1080p display or a 3K display. My reasoning is that the 970m seems to mostly solve the heat issues, but is it worth the extra money? Also, the 3K display supposedly is hard for the computer to keep up with and gamers generally scale down to 1080p when gaming due to scaling issues and also to allow the computer to keep up and not overheat. What do you guys think?

Lenovo y50 4k version

Gaming is terrible on the Lenovo 4k, gtx 860m can't handle it

Gaming is terrible on the Lenovo 4k, gtx 860m can't handle it

Do people realize that even though the laptop has a 4K panel in it, does NOT mean you have to game at 4K, you can crank it back to 1080p or whatever it is that the game looks and performs best at.