Are ATH-M50X's Good Headphones?

JoshK

Ive been wanting these headphones for what seems like forever and I finally decided I should order them. Before I do, are they generally good headphones? I listen to mostly rap and dance music and occasionally some indie rock. I am looking for the best audio quality below $200. 

Amazing headphones, just got a pair and they are as good as something twice or three times the price

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz/CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i11/Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866/Primary Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB SSD/Secondary Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB HDD/Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970/Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower/Power Supply: Corsair 760W/Optical Drive: Asus Blu-Ray Reader/Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)/Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor 

Linus and Logan both agree that they are not that great for the money. " The M40x is pretty much the same headphone, I think they even have the same pad. " -Logan from Tek Syndicate 2014. I somewhat remember Linus saying that he isn't reviewing them because they're alright, but they are not all that they are hyped out to be. Personally if I were you, I would save the money and get the M40x's or something else completely. Don't give in to the MKBHD hype pls

I have never owned these headphones so I can not speak from experience.

wow, thats a lot of bees!

Ive been wanting these headphones for what seems like forever and I finally decided I should order them. Before I do, are they generally good headphones? I listen to mostly rap and dance music and occasionally some indie rock. I am looking for the best audio quality below $200. 

M40x is better for the money. If you want something that sounds like the m50x but don't want the m40x for whatever reason, you could get the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros since they sound similar, are more comfortable and are simply better. The only issue with the Custom One Pros is that they don't fold, but yeah. There really isn't any reason to go with the M50x.

Hmm..You say best audio quality below 200,ATH M50,doesn't come as good when compared to open headphones in that range.You have sennheiser HD 518,558,even 598.Hell even if you can buy AKG Q701,it is great.Even Audio technica has open headphones under that price.

If you want closed Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro is a go.The dance and rap sound best with closed and indie is better with Open.

Note: If you love deep,sub-bass filled that may sometimes be a bit out of control.(Bass head),buy Custom One Pros,with those bass ports....awespme

If you want the best sound out there,with somewhat less bass(controlled),look for open.They are simply unmatched is instument separation,air in sound,detail retrieval and ofcourse sounstage.

These sound good from portable source and they better with amplifier,if you prefer.That scalability is not the same for clo

Beyerdynamic DT 770, 880, and 990 are all better headphones you can usually find at the same price.

If you asked anyone a couple of years ago, they were pretty much the only option around that pricepoint of 100-150 USD, now there's tons of competition in the area, and also there's basically an anti-circlejerk against these headphones that sort of pushes people who may have bought them away.  Besides, if you want headphones for home use, Audio-Technica's Hi-Fi headphones sound better and are way more comfortable.  Just look at Amazon, you can get freakin AD900x's for 170 USD, the exact same price.  It's a bit of a sorry sight that Marques has actually managed to move so many units of it's predecessor (don't believe me? Just go look at Setup Tour 2014, almost half of the submissions have the M50s lying somewhere).  So, in conclusion, as much as I am an Audio Technica faboi, I can't tell people that the M50x's are the best for them.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Yes. Great headphones.

I got them because they fold, the cables come out, they sound great, are built well, and feel great on my head. They are also a more slim design than others, and don't look crazy when on my head in public.

I listen to lots of Electronica, EDM, Indie Rock, Punk Rock, and Metal. 

BUT, headphones are 100% subjective. Anyone who says these are perfect, are wrong, and anyone who says they are bad, are also wrong. Its totally up to you.

If you have any store at all near you where you can try them out - do it! I went to a guitar center near me, and bought $400 in headphones, and returned the ones I didn't like. I asked before I did that, and they didn't bat an eye. I chose the AT's over a set of DD770 Pros. I didn't see the custom one pro's, I'm not sure if they just recently dropped below $200 (my pricerange) or what. But they look like a nice pair as well. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

They're durable and sound great for the price - I got them for under $100 on a sale about a year ago (ATH-M50 model).  If you can wait for them to drop on sale close to $100 it's an easy choice, otherwise lots of alternatives that can offer more for the price have come up recently.  Look around, don't make an impulse buy on them.  For me the folding headphones and build quality really sold it, I wanted a flatter response than other options at the price had available.

Yes. Great headphones.

I got them because they fold, the cables come out, they sound great, are built well, and feel great on my head. They are also a more slim design than others, and don't look crazy when on my head in public.

I listen to lots of Electronica, EDM, Indie Rock, Punk Rock, and Metal. 

BUT, headphones are 100% subjective. Anyone who says these are perfect, are wrong, and anyone who says they are bad, are also wrong. Its totally up to you.

If you have any store at all near you where you can try them out - do it! I went to a guitar center near me, and bought $400 in headphones, and returned the ones I didn't like. I asked before I did that, and they didn't bat an eye. I chose the AT's over a set of DD770 Pros. I didn't see the custom one pro's, I'm not sure if they just recently dropped below $200 (my pricerange) or what. But they look like a nice pair as well. 

There is a guitar center near me, perhaps if they carry them I could go try them out. The only reason I dont like display samples is because you simply will not get the same experience you would with a brand new product.

If this is going to be your first headphone, then yes it's going to be decent for you

But IMO, even my HiFiMan RE-400 which costs $70 could beat m50x

There is a guitar center near me, perhaps if they carry them I could go try them out. The only reason I dont like display samples is because you simply will not get the same experience you would with a brand new product.

They actually let me buy and return new models. Might try that :)

Are you going to be using these in public? If not, you can go with an open pair of headphones, which will sound a lot better in most cases.

I have a pair of M50 (non-x) if you want to ask any questions in specific about them.

Beyerdynamic DT 770, 880, and 990 are all better headphones you can usually find at the same price.

The DT880s are $300 on amazon. 

Yes, the 770 and 990 are around the same price as the M50x, but you have to buy an amp/dac to drive them. That adds a quite significant amount of money to the cost. You could go with the 32ohm DT770s, but they don't sound as good as the 250 or 600 and they're $200. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Well guys, I bought them out of an impulse even though some of you guys said specifically not to do that. It was a good purchase though! I absolutely freaking love these headphones and they sound better than anything else that I have used! Super comfortable too :)

Well guys, I bought them out of an impulse even though some of you guys said specifically not to do that. It was a good purchase though! I absolutely freaking love these headphones and they sound better than anything else that I have used! Super comfortable too :)

Your satisfaction is all that matters, Enjoy!

The m50x are a nice pair of headphones, just, if you are looking for bass heavy, they wont be, there studio monitors, you are gonna here the music how it was heard by the artist when they were recording it. If you aren't looking for something super bass heavy, buy them and enjoy! (Oh, and if it matters, I wear glasses all day, and they feel nice with the glasses I wear.)

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

From everything ive read from actual studio guys the m50x arent really that good, they seem to be used a lot by people who arent actually that into audiogear. Almost everyone serious ive seen has reccomended the Beyers or AKGs over them.

From everything ive read from actual studio guys the m50x arent really that good, they seem to be used a lot by people who arent actually that into audiogear. Almost everyone serious ive seen has reccomended the Beyers or AKGs over them.

this guy gets it.

ZhBP616F1S-4.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

this guy gets it.

That's why every studio in Japan are using Sony CD900ST, not M50x  :D 

this guy gets it.

ZhBP616F1S-4.png

Yay a cookie, i knew my 50 hours of research before buying a headset would get me something:P

Would recommend HD 598 under $200 category. Little weak on the bass but its pretty much the king of neutral entrance audiofile headphones imo