question about ssd

Dylan lol

so right now on my computer of 3 years i have 631 gb free of 919 gb, so i am only using 288gb. the question i have is if i was using an ssd instead of the hard drive, would it be using 288gb aswell or would it be more? if it works the same as a hard drive then i would love to get a 500gb ssd for my new computer and wont need any more storage

It's the same. Digital storage is digital storage.

I would recommend keeping that hard drive though and using it as a backup drive. That is, backing up the entire system to it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's the same. Digital storage is digital storage.

why do people get 120/240gb ssd and a hard drive instead of a 500gb then? i dont see how one would need more than 500 because i have 1.7k+ downloaded songs and alot of games downloaded and dont even use 300gb

why do people get 120/240gb ssd and a hard drive instead of a 500gb then? i dont see how one would need more than 500 because i have 1.7k+ downloaded songs and alot of games downloaded and dont even use 300gb

SSDs are still expensive relative to hard drives. (I also do the same thing as others) This allows people to have the benefits of an SSD with the benefits of cheap, mass storage. Most games don't benefit too much from using an SSD unless they're texture heavy. In addition, hard drive are fantastic as backup drives because of the aforementioned cheap mass storage.

To give an idea on the difference in price, hard drives cost around 7 cents(US) while SSDs cost around $1(US) per GB.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I'm using like 700 GB on my 1 TB HDD. Different people have different needs.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

SSDs are still expensive relative to hard drives. (I also do the same thing as others) This allows people to have the benefits of an SSD with the benefits of cheap, mass storage. Most games don't benefit too much from using an SSD unless they're texture heavy. In addition, hard drive are fantastic as backup drives because of the aforementioned cheap mass storage.

To give an idea on the difference in price, hard drive cost around 7 cents(US) while SSDs cost around $1(US) per GB.

1 dollars per GB SSD storage? That costs like 36 - 60 eurocents for a 120 - 1000 GB SSD :P

HDD's are here like 5 eurocents per GB

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

To give an idea on the difference in price, hard drives cost around 7 cents(US) while SSDs cost around $1(US) per GB.

which one is better

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te500bw

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct512mx100ssd1

My pick goes to the Crucial SSD strictly for out of the box performance. However, the EVOcomes with something the Crucial SSD doesn't have, and that is RAM caching(through Samsung's software).

My pick goes to the Crucial SSD strictly for out of the box performance. However, the EVOcomes with something the Crucial SSD doesn't have, and that is RAM caching(through Samsung's software).

can you tell me what the specs mean on ssds?

Sequential Read

Sequential Write

4KB Random Read

4KB Random Write

can you tell me what the specs mean on ssds?

Sequential Read

Sequential Write

4KB Random Read

4KB Random Write

Sequential operations are side by side writes. That is, the data written and read is right next to each other. 4KB is more random. Imagine the data being more spread out and more..."splotchy."

Sequential operations are side by side writes. That is, the data written and read is right next to each other. 4KB is more random. Imagine the data being more spread out and more..."splotchy."

yeah i dont know what any of that means. i dont know what read and write means, can u explain?

yeah i dont know what any of that means. i dont know what read and write means, can u explain?

Reading is looking at the data already present on the drive. Writing is putting new data on the drive. Writing data is comparable to writing data into a blank book(where the amount of space used is already pre-defined) and then reading data is comparable to reading that information back from the book.

Does that make sense?

Reading is looking at the data already present on the drive. Writing is putting new data on the drive. Writing data is comparable to writing data into a blank book(where the amount of space used is already pre-defined) and then reading data is comparable to reading that information back from the book.

Does that make sense?

ok so i read this http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/785-ssd-dictionary-understanding-ssd-specs

it says you want a Synchronous ssd and not asynchronous. it also says MLC is better than TLC. since mx100 is MLC and synchronous and 840 evo is TLC and toggle asynchronous, mx100 should be a lot better right?

The reality of it is...I doubt you'll even notice the difference at all between the SSD specs. The answer to your question is no. They perform very similarly and last a very long time(in fact, they trade blows a lot). The day the 840 EVO dies, you'll probably be using something else entirely anyways. This goes for every high quality consumer SSD on the market.