Head Of Xbox Japan Jumps Ship

MEC-777

Xbox-smoke.jpg

The sound of crickets can be heard throughout the Xbox One sections of videogame and electronics stores all over Japan. We all know the Xbox One hasn't exactly been flying off the shelves in North America, but things are much more dire for the brand across the pond as last week, only about 776 units were sold in the land of the rising sun. As a result, Takashi Sensui, leader of the console's division in Japan has decided to call it quits.

Full article can be found here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-28-japanese-xbox-boss-resigns-following-xbox-one-launch-flop

The author of the article mentioned that all home consoles have been struggling in Japan in the last few years as the trend has moved more over to mobile gaming. I'm assuming they're referring to hand-helds like Nintendo DS series and PSP/Vita type devices. Xbox of Japan has appointed a new leader - a veteran of Sony for many years past, but I'm curious to see what they intend to do to try and rekindle interest. It'll be a steep uphill battle, no doubt.

*EDIT* As @iMikeTheKing pointed out (thank you), Takashi Sensui has not left Microsoft, but only the role as leader of the Xbox division in Japan. I'm now wondering if MS pulled him out and replaced him with someone more experienced because they thought he wasn't getting the job done? If console sales in Japan are as flat as they are to begin with, I can't see anyone being able to do much to change it.

PS: Please do not turn this into a PC vs. console flame war thread. Thank you. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Oh NO! Did he land hard in the water ?

Joke aside , they made bad choices and bathed in them throughout Xbox one's lifetime ( didn't change anything ) . From my memory i can recall about a dozen ( kept the damned subscription service , sold only with kinect at start ,  NO GAMES UNLESS ONLINE ) . Also the overall shitstorm Microsoft caused with the kinect always on camera spying on us rumor .... Badly chosen hardware ....

I wonder if we will see a PSP type device from microsoft.

Xportable?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Well... Kancolle did boost sales of Microsoft Surface tablets in Japan during the first 8 months of operation...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-discussion/268845-windows-8-tablets-enjoying-15%25-market-share-japan-due-kancolle.html

http://vr-zone.com/articles/microsoft-leverages-cute-sell-surface-tablets-japan/74355.html

The scene is still in full swing with three more games in the same genre due to roll out in 2015...

Edit:

As for consoles, Sony has a hold on the market with all the devs making games for the PS3 and PSVita platforms... I haven't seen a Japanese PS4 game yet..

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I read somewhere somethink like 

PS4 : Gaming device with multimedia capabilities

XbOne : Multimedia device with some gaming capabilities 

They were so right 

It was obvious from the start. It's not like Microsoft even bothered trying to appeal to Japanese with Xbone. With previous Xboxes at least they made a token attempt. But Xbone was only, by design, made for America. Not the West, not the North America just the United States of America. I'm amazed it even sold as much as it did in Europe.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

If Miicrosoft wants to beat Sony. It needs to (over)build Xbox 2 with 4K capability next year.  :lol:

Look at Xbox 1. Before it was launched. It was already outdated for not able to play at at least 1080p. 

If they think console gamers will be satisfied with chicken ass 720p, 900p 30fps........hopeless. With the long cycle of console, imagine many people adopt 4K TV in the next couple of years, while the console still only outputs 720p.

Takashi Sensui has resigned as chief of Xbox in Japan and will instead relocate to the company's US headquarters. He will be replaced by Takahasi Minami, who joined the company in July after 25 years at Sony.

ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ : Planning Stages.

i7 4790K | MSI Krait | 480 GB SSD | R9 295 x2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Watercooled

I though the Xbox One sales weren't that bad. I'm surprised how tiny the sales are for them compared to other consoles.

It was obvious from the start. It's not like Microsoft even bothered trying to appeal to Japanese with Xbone. With previous Xboxes at least they made a token attempt. But Xbone was only, by design, made for America. Not the West, not the North America just the United States of America. I'm amazed it even sold as much as it did in Europe.

Pretty much so. Microsoft seemed to forget there's other countries than just the US to create their console for. Plus the Xbox One was a bit lackluster compared to PS4 IMO (well... They're both kinda similar spec-wise, but you get the point), PS4 just has quite a bit less bad things about it than Xbox One.

Not sure what are their sales figures in Europe, but I guess they're trying to save their asses by advertising a ton. So far I've seen significantly more Xbox One advertisements on the internet than Playstation 4 advertisements.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Takashi Sensui has resigned as chief of Xbox in Japan and will instead relocate to the company's US headquarters. He will be replaced by Takahasi Minami, who joined the company in July after 25 years at Sony.

Good catch. I somehow missed that little tidbit. OP edited. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I wonder if we will see a PSP type device from microsoft.

Xportable?

Internally they've shown off streaming a la Nvidia or Steam. Doesn't matter what device, so no PSP or Vita or locked into certain mobile phones

Hopefully they actually release it and not leave it as a tech demo.

Their poor sales makes me laugh a nice big hearty chuckle.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm not sure how you can jump into the water on a ship thats already sunken though.

*Ba dum tsssss*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm not sure how you can jump into the water on a ship thats already sunken though.

IMO more like: looks all fine outside (advertising), under the deck though... Leaks all over the place and partially drown (sales figures, bad news about them etc.)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

So that is less competition on the Japanese market, not that they were a serious competitor with that thing anyway.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I guess software giant Nike didn't release enough fitness apps for the game console "electronic audio/video I/O monitoring doodad that's not a mobile phone". To anyone who watched the E3 presentations this is shocking news (/end sarcasm)

Is it really surprising that xbox 1 is doing poorly in Japan? Xenophobia aside, have FPS titles ever been a staple for Japanese gamers? What is surprising to me isn't that xboxone is doing poorly in japan, but that they've managed to sell as much in NA and the EU as they have.

Lol

What a lovely contribution to this thread! Really interesting and well thought out I must say.

I'm now wondering if MS pulled him out and replaced him with someone more experienced because they thought he wasn't getting the job done? If console sales in Japan are as flat as they are to begin with, I can't see anyone being able to do much to change it.

Microsoft knows that their console wouldn't sell well in Japan, but they went ahead with it anyway. There's no point for them to buy a Xbox over there because the games they want to play aren't on that ecosystem. No one can fix/change this.

I'm glad they did release the Xbox One over in Japan so the people who did want it could get it with ease, but there is no reason to expect huge sales numbers over there.

Good catch. I somehow missed that little tidbit. OP edited. ;)

Thanks for editing. I thought this thread was going to get out of hand so I posted that little detail

ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ : Planning Stages.

i7 4790K | MSI Krait | 480 GB SSD | R9 295 x2 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Watercooled

It's all good. We still have 'Merica and the U,K. who believes that they can do closed network cloud BS on our internet infrastructure when they can't even run multiplayer Halo well. They also probably swallowed up that garbage about Direct X 12 and the Xbox One even though Phil Spencer had to admit DX 12 was "no big deal for Xbox One".

Saw a lot of Xbox One's in carts today. MS will be fine here. They eat up the MS lies through third party and advertising. 

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames

Xbox is right behind PS4 at number 2 (which is an appropriate description of the hardware).

What is the 4th best seller? COD on Xbox 360 and those people will probably be picking up a Xbox One at Wal-Mart if they can afford to upgrade. As long as COD, Madden and NBA 2K 15 (ok I actually like that game and have it on PC) are close to "parity" between the consoles? They simply don't care. Add to that Halo/COD are pretty much the same freakin game playstyle wise. Halo 5 will sell like crazy even if it sucks.

I would bet the house on MS winning NPD numbers in North America/UK during the holidays. Everywhere else? Yeah, prob not. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=940954

20141127_182608_zpsdvlrvf0u.jpg

Make sure to pick up a next gen console while you are in the yogurt aisle...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.